1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That I will agree with. They are making ample content for as many play styles as they can. It's the far extremes that will not get what they want.

Non consensual PvP, not going to happen.
    Zero PvP, not going to happen (Offline is their option for this)

Even SPO will have to be aware of PvP.

Isaiah likes this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm not entirely sure (other then choke points) why SPO should care..

One area that has been popping up lately that has me a bit worried is some being upset about the repair costs and death penalties, especially since the announcement of full loot areas. I do not want the game balance based on those areas, it tends to really throw of the balance.

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Really depends on the content that is allowed to be PvP.

City sieges and control points mostly. Hilt, being the location to forge rare resources, can not be accessed until it under control.

SPO isn't going to have access just because they are playing single player. The live content that is active on the overworld map transcends all modes. If not, it might as well be Offline mode.

Isaiah likes this.
  4. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

fear mongering would be and excellent word for the actions of both sides of the line in the sand. however would be just as false as any other statement made. Most of what is said from either side of the line has to do with power... you don't want pvp to have any power cause it will ruin the game for you. you claim you want it to be fair. however your ideas are more along the lines of repressing everything that has made pvp great in games before.

You can only attack people who are flagged pvp. many people wont ever flag for open pvp. i only flag when i am hunting someone. yet i have logged numerous hours within pvp zones.

almost all of those idea's that you put out are not even remotely fair and would ruin many many players experiences and reduce the member base we could ever draw. what is so unbalanced about those areas that you are so concerned about. everything there can be gotten any where else. THIS IS NOT UO. there is no advantage or disadvantage by being a pvper or not. its not like at any time u will have to face them.

what is good for the game by your opinion... that ties back to limiting what i find fun what many people find fun remove those aspects from the game you will ruin alot of players ideas of fun. WHERE ONE PERSON'S FREEDOM'S END ANOTHER'S BEGIN.

In the end you will greatly be disappointed... this game is created by several of whom i consider the greatest game makers of all time. 2 are primary pve/pvm/crafting/story line one is a champion for pvp. never in this will the pvm/pve environment get taken for a ride.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm really unsure how you think I'm taking anything away from anyone. I haven't said take away the zones, I have though said there has to be a balance on how much you can gain in said zones, I'm sorry if that takes away from your "fun". But it is purely a balance issue.

I would love to know what ideas I put out there are not remotely fair? Seems like a very personal statement.

I have to wonder why you wouldn't flag PVP If that play style appeals to you? So many say that is a great feature but you don't like it.

If you think I don't want pvpers to think I don't want them to have any power, then sadly you are misinformed. If you however said I don't think they should have any more power then PVE then that I would agree with.

Please inform me what I said was about limiting fun.

I think there may be things in this game that will greatly disappoint me, especially after playing POE which has such deep lore, but I think so far nothing has deeply disappointed me.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Understood.

However you really should be able to complete the game entirely playing spo.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes, but that's not what we are talking about. The online portion is not just about things that can be completed.

8. smack

smack Avatar

If 5% of the world is set aside for Forced PvP zones, then I propose another 5% of the world be Forced PvE zones. If you enter a Forced PvE zone, any player or MOB can "attack" you, but instead of engaging in combat, you are forced into a gathering, refining, and crafting battle. If you fail to gather, refine, and craft better than the other player or MOB, you die and they can loot you using the same PvP loot rules. To entice people to enter the Forced PvE zone, there will be uber content / resources found in abundance here, but ultra rare elsewhere.

Let the cook off begin! :)

steanne, Ice Queen, rune_74 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'm all for adding content if there will be a population of players that will enjoy it. It also needs to fit the model of design the Devs wish to deliver.

This implies there is balance issue with the resources. We do not yet know how much the abundance translates into actual items produced. If there is a constant PvP interrupting gathering then no matter how many nodes are around you there is still no resource produced. The opposite is also possible, if no PvP is interrupting gathering then this would be just as bad.

If 95% of the zones produce equal amounts of these resources as the 5% would that be balanced?

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Exactly my point ie resources.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Do you have stats showing that the resources are out of balance? Or statements from the Devs that they will be weighted unfairly to PvP?

12. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Abundant for PVP vs...what was the word they used for PVE?...sparse...limited...meagre...? Something like that.

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Abundance does not equal ownership. They must PvP to get to the node, gather, then make it out of the zone. Someone must gather before they can claim ownership.

The more incentive there is to attack people the less the abundance matters.

What if the 95% zones have the same % of rares only spread out across 95% of the land. Only there are no MOBs guarding the nodes. Wouldn't PvPers be upset that they must PvP for their resources while PvE can get it for free?

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um no? What's your point? It's a discussion point that should be discussed....it has potential to be unbalancing like I said.

It is a fair item to discuss wouldn't you say?

15. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Just about nobody will be in any one particular PVP zone most of the time, PVP areas in every game is always the first area to die, this will be no exception. In fact more so than in other games, because it's full loot and most players hate that sort of mechanic.

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Some heavy speculation. PvP events are pretty active currently. Only reason it would die would be the content doesn't retain them.

The Shardfall zones that have all this abundant spawns have not be said to be full loot. Currently there are no full loot zones. Making a Shardfall, rare resource, zone full loot would be counter productive.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My point is give them a chance to show they can balance things. If you haven't read the full thread, I have specifically stated that the balance issue needs to be discussed. Last time, it was me telling this to someone asking why all PvE wants to take everything away from PvP.

If things are unbalanced, or favoritism is being played, there will be plenty of threads about it, who you think will be in here keeping that discussion alive.

[​IMG]

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Heh, isn't that what we are doing? I haven't said that I think it is unbalanced, just that it is an area of concern. No where am I saying it is already that way.

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

One thing I find interesting is how easily small changes can impact play styles.

Before this thread:

PvE could find loot and resources in a scene then it's theirs. A race to the bottom of a dungeon, quick kill and loot, the loot is theirs.
    PvP could do the same.

Gathering of resources kind of favored the PvE. Clear the area then gather till respawns.. PvP would still need to continually keep an eye out for more PvP.

After this thread:

PvE can find loot and resources but they do not own the loot until they exit the scene.
    PvP, again, is the same.

Gathering of resources now it actually favors PvP. If someone gathers, then dies, in PvE it's possible for the items to decay or (if added) MOBs could loot. In PvP, once the item is gained, the likeliness of decay is less. Death to a player will trade the loot. Death to a MOB and there is a chance a player will loot.

20. smack

smack Avatar

I think you missed my point. My hypothetical Forced PvE zone would simply be modeled after the Shardfall Forced PvP zone. Whatever balancing / unbalancing exists would be the same for both.

Whether or not it's "unfair" is a subjective thing, but the devs have said repeatedly that the rare resources in Shardfall PvP zones will be much more abundant there than anywhere else in the game. Thus, my comment about the hypothetical Forced PvE zone would simply follow the same model and is simply a mirror of it, except all combat is replaced with Epic Rap Craft Battles.

lollie and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.