Getting Resources while Cutting a Tree Down?????

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Revenant Shadow, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I am all for grabbing one item at a time if that HAS to be done. I just hope that once the resources are gathered you won't have to drag every item in the game one part at a time or things like making 50 clocks would be soooo tedious when you think of the amount of wood, gears, springs, clock hands and faces you would have to drag and drop. It would take you an hour or more just to get the pieces you already gathered organized. I am all for making the game more realistic, however something’s I would not like to be completely real... I would like a game I can log onto, craft some items, put them on my vendor and go explore all in the same day.... not spend hours trying to craft a few things then have no time to actually experience the rest of the game.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I see your point, but want to ask you the following question:

How do you reward those of us that DONT mind crafting for hours?
    I am hoping that crafting will be such a big part of the game that i WILL be able to do nothing but craft, and be rewarded for doing so.

I also hope that you cant do crafting in 5 minutes and then do " the rest of the game " , and be equally good as "pure" crafters.

Kromtec, Dracowyr and Umbrae like this.
  3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Looting a tree should be like looting a mob: First, you attack the tree with a hatchet, axe or saw; if you prevail and defeat the tree, you then loot it for it's resources. If the tree defeats you, it loots you. If you kill the tree and it topples over you, killing you, then first one back to it's corpse loots the other.
    Fair is fair.
    ^.^

4. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

My big thing was not that they should be done in 5 mins. However, you cannot tell people that want to enjoy all aspects of the game that you must craft all day or you won't go anywhere in your skills. People who want to craft all day will just have more items to sell and have more of the rare ores and such then someone who does it for short amounts of time. Just because someone likes crafting all day does not mean they should be rewarded for that besides the obvious like having more materials. In a game where people want to do many different things, you cannot limit a player to doing something for the whole day every time they log in to get a reward and not have time to do the other things in the game they enjoy like hunting and exploring. I know this isn't UO but UO did it well... you could experience the crafting side of the game and the exploring/pvp/pve/rp ECT... and still make high quality GM items. Yes you didn't have time to make a dedicated vendor for GM items and a lot of rare materials, but you could if you wanted to. When you try to "Reward" players for doing something in the game for long periods of time... you are walking a fine line. Give them too many rewards and other players who don't like doing that will complain and not enjoy the game as much because they will feel forced to do that part of the game just to keep up.

In short, I wasn't stating it should be fast... it just should not be an all-day thing (unless that is what you want to do) Rewards should be available to everyone who plays, and those who do things for longer hours will just get more of those rewards. Some people may disagree with me, but I have never enjoyed a game that tries to favor one player type over another. If I wanted a game that favored crafting all day I would just play Minecraft or Legos... which I don't. I think crafting should still be something in the game you can do all day if you want... just that it should not be something you'll have to do all day to make one or two items.

Kilhwch likes this.
  5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

I do, indeed, absolutely not agree with you.

They have already stated that there will be hundreds of items ot make in EACH of the profession.. so total, we can assume it will be well over thousands of craftable items.
    Now, if i understand you correctly, you want to be able to make all of these items without much effort, simply because you want to experience entire spectrum of the game. Right. Fair enough!

But then you have ME ( And ALOT of other people ) who like crafting, and will do pretty much nothing else... You dont want to REWARD me for doing it, other than the obvious statement that i will have more of the craftable items... Okey?

Scenario:

YOU - You can make the ultra-super-mega sword that is best of the best. It doesnt make too much effort, and you can enjoy the end part of crafting just as you feel you have the right to do.

ME - I can ofcourse also make the ultra-super-mega sword.. But since i spend 10 times as much in crafting, i can make 10 of them! Hurray! Or wait! What should i do with these, who will buy it when anyone can make it? And also, we didnt even discuss that the ultra-super-mega sword, will most likely need resources that i only get while hunting super-mega monsters.... So now im forced into hunting, damnit!

... Do you see MY point of view? I dont claim it to be the truth, and i hope that everyone who read this can see that i dont try to rant or be negative in any way. This is just a discussion that is close to my heart, and i want to do what i can to make it a great game for all.

My solution to the crafting example above:

YOU - Sorry, but you cannot pick up a smith hammer and make a ultra-super-mega sword at the second swing. You are however good enough to make a couple of really well made swords! Only people who has spent time perfecting smithing can make the best of the best.

ME - Yeah, i have perfected blacksmithing... But do i think that i can make the best of the best items with resources from the backyard? No, i will need to spend many gold coind to pay warriors and heroic adventurers for the resources they get on thier dangerous journeys.

and THIS is how you create a living world and economy within the community. According to me.

TigerKhan likes this.
  6. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Arradin, I think you may have it. The idea of a person not being an expert at everything has gotten somewhat lost in the shuffle in many MMOs, I've found. Because we're going to be exclusively crafters, it follows that we should have more expertise in crafting than those who spend their time, effort, and resources in combat training. Conversely, as we've spent all our time studying the crafting arts, we shouldn't be nearly as good at combat as someone who has been swinging a sword since she could lift one.

7. GBJackson

GBJackson Avatar

I am also of the mind that you should have to cut the tree down first before getting the logs. I don't think we should have to cut the fallen tree again. I want to be able to collect resources AND craft in one session, thank you very much. As much as I like my MMOs to be realistic, I also realize that they are games and need to be fun. And I suspect that half of the people who cry for uber-realistic mechanics will end up crying ABOUT them after the game launches with them and the novelty wears off.

Remember: Whatever path you choose to take, if you are serious about it, it is what you will be doing over and over and over again for the duration of your time in the game.

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I agree with the OPer, bring some realizem. I would like to see:
    1- chop and get "wood chips", chop again and get more wood chips until the tree is feld.
    2- chop and get "kindling" (de-branching).
    3- chop and get logs.

Each time the tree graphic would reflect your progress until there is just the stump is left. I would also like to see respawning changed to:
    1- a period of days (not hours).
    2- trees in nature grow singularly, then drop their seeds and then groves form, then forests form.
    3- the age of the tree would yield more logs the taller it is allowed to grow.
    4- players should be allowed to gather the seeds and plant them in their own gardens.
    5- birds should bring the seeds to other locations for new groves to form.

I feel the "type" of tree should be visualy recognisable, I can tell a pine tree from a burch tree.

The wood chips and kindling should be useful in creating camp fires and cooking. There should be a "smoke house" in game to use wood chips for smoking meats & fish.

I would like to see ore viens treated the same way, you should be able to see where the vien is to mine it, creating a mine openning, following it into the mountain to create a tunnel. The vien should become depleted until there is a Volcanic earth quake that brings more minerals to the surface. There should be enough minerals around to last until the next earthquake.

UOs insecent "rarity" venue is the cause that forced players to use "bot" programs in the first place, that was the only way to lower the odds. Just MO.

Explorer Hygard Jels likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

It really comes down to how many steps will each resource gathering skill require to harvest a raw resource. I like the above idea, but it would be a 3-step process to get logs. That sort of thing should be balanced across all the crafting skills, especially the raw resource gathering ones.

10. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would like to refine this idea some more:
    1- Trees should grow in 3 stagges, young (8' tall= 1 log), adult (16' tall= 2 logs), old growth (24' tall= 3 logs).
    2- when chopping on a tree, each chop would give you 3 woodchips in your pack for a total of 9 woodchips (3 chops) to fell a tree. You would only need 1 woodchip to start a campfire or oven. More woodchips would be needed for a smokehouse.
    3- when you de-branch a tree, you would only need to chop it once and get 6 kindlings in your pack. Only 1 kindling is needed to start a fire or oven and you would need to feed the fire more kindling to keep it going over time.

At this point you would have 1, 2, or 3 logs from a single tree, IMO a single 8' log should be enough to make 10-20 boards 8' long or hundreds of dowls or arrow shafts, so there would really be no need to chop down thousands of trees. If you could see a Burch tree in the forest (or pine, maple, or redwood, or walnut, or mohougany) you would only need one for lots of materials to make fine furnature. If the single tree were to be found in a grove of trees (10 trees) you would still need to look around for the groves and once chopped down that grove is depleted, the birds would help to spawn them in another location or just start with a single tree and let them multiply into a grove over time.

The refining process should be the key element, either cut the log into material for carpenters or cut the log into materials for fletching or cut the logs into materials to smoke meats & fish or starting campfires. A single log should yeild lots of materials per log.

Mining ores should have something simuler, you should be able to see an ore vein, mine it until depleted, but sometime in the future there should be volcanic activity to respawn the vein (maybe not in the same spot, but somewhere close).

TigerKhan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.