Getting Resources while Cutting a Tree Down?????

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Revenant Shadow, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revenant Shadow

Revenant Shadow Avatar

Just to point something out and is just my opinion in observation; it did not make sense to me to gather resources while cutting the tree down.

Can we change it so that after you have cut the tree down you can cut the fallen tree in pieces to gather the logs? maybe even; the taller the tree the more resources.. More realistic in my opinion.

Sir_Tim, Grayhawk, hanskrsg and 4 others like this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I like the idea of chopping logs into smaller pieces.
    And what about being able to drag items like in UO?
    Or is wood going to stack up like the wood pile we saw in the demo at the player house?

Revenant_Shadow likes this.
  3. Robarzh

Robarzh Avatar

The demo showed the Avatar having to pick up one piece at a time. I hope "Take All" will be in the game.

Maximus, Sir_Tim and bcxanth like this.
  4. bcxanth

bcxanth Avatar

I honestly said the same thing to my girlfriend about 5 times while we watched the demo. If I have to manually click and drag every item from one container to another to gather multiple resources it will make me a very unhappy camper.

As for the question in the original post, I agree that it did seem odd to me as well. The only reason I could see for it is if you only do a partial harvesting then the tree might grow back to full capacity. However I would consider that a horrible idea. If I start chopping down a tree in real life, then stop halfway through after I've taken some chunks out of it, I'm not going to come back some day and expect to find the tree has regrown the wood I removed. So, assuming a partially harvested resource can't grow back, it makes no sense not to chop the whole thing down and get all the resources at the end.

Robarzh and Lorix Cursedbone like this.
  5. Ice Shenron

Ice Shenron Avatar

+1 hell yeah. It makes 100x more sense. And it also adds more to the game, it won't be mindless walking from one tree to one tree, this will make it more interactive. And since it will be more work, it'll make lumber more expensive and thus more rewarding of a skill.

On a separate but somewhat related note. It would be awesome if a character that was in the way of the falling tree would get damaged or even die.

6. Revenant Shadow

Revenant Shadow Avatar

I have always skipped out on recourse gathering in other mmorpgs, mostly because it was really easy and extremely boring, for instance; you walk up to a plant -- you click it -- gather whatever it is -- and your done. Thats soooo much fun!!!! (Not)

Improved example; You walk up to a plant -- you click it -- you start gathering --your hands start itching -- you cant wield a weapon Oops! you should probably study which plants are poisonous. (Unless you want to gather a poisonous plant for a blade, then you should put special gloves on)

To me it seems that this games intent is to bring the player "into the game" through the connections of realistic actions. If I where to go into the forest and cut at a tree with an axe, I would not produce logs of wood while the tree is still standing (unless I was "Topping" cutting the tree from the top down.) It would be more rewarding to receive the logs when you have finished cutting the tree down rather than getting logs comically while you are cutting it down.

Unfortunately getting resources easily and comically is the trend other mmo's follow. It would be nice to see a more realistic approach to getting resources with more benefit.

YES!!!!!

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yes again to receiving damage from falling trees.

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

One point to not having a 'take all' button might be to avoid the ability of macros.. and therefore bots. If that's something that will help, then I'm all for grabbing my wood one log at a time.. :D

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Would be funny if you cut down a tree with a bee hive in it and the bees started swarming you.

On that note, I hope we have some type of honey collection from bee hives, and also nests with eggs. Would be cool if you could climb trees, and then use them as lookouts.

10. Revenant Shadow

Revenant Shadow Avatar

I totally agree with you. If gathering wood and other resources are repetitively easy and fast, I will just skip that part of the game and let everyone else do it for me.

If gathering is actually hard work and dangerous, but very beneficial I could make that my character's career.

I would also love to see bees and honey gathering implemented in that way!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. Robby

Robby Avatar

Ok now its time to start another thread on beekeeping!

lizardchunk likes this.
  12. Sperg

Sperg Avatar

I play another game called Wurm Online, and in that game when you cut down the tree it falls and then you have to cut the felled tree and it stacks the logs into a pile on the ground beside you. Also I did a searched but I am curious if resources are going to stack? The game play video only showed individual pieces in the back pack.

13. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Hopefully it'll be like uo and resources will stack, but yes does seem nicer of a feature to get wood once the tree is down. Tree crushing is nice. For those into the rp aspect of it, could have a nice scene with all the lumberjacks at the tavern.. "'What happened to Jim?' 'Tree decided to get even today.' " I see a win win out of it

chris257 likes this.
  14. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Not only fall damage taken on a player, but what if the tree was on one side of a river, you chop it down and now you can jump on top of the fallen tree and use it like a bridge to cross to the other side.

I'm also not a fan of clicking and dragging every.single.item. although I've been doing it for UO for quite some time but Razor and its Organizers were a godsend (which I didn't use until much much later).

Grayhawk and Boom like this.
  15. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

It has always been that way, chop, get log, chop get log, chop get log, tree disappears. While unrealistic I don't really want to spend more time clicking on the fallen tree to break it up into logs.
    I would like it to chop 3 hits, get a log & it loops 3-7 times(esc to cancel chopping), depending on your skill you get 0-3 logs per 3 hits.
    I don't care what the tree does.

16. Shadowladysage

Shadowladysage Avatar

Actually, something I kinda liked that was made by as an Anti-Bot feature but in Age of Conan, a random timer on resource gathering would spawn someone who'd attack you for gathering the rez. While that was FunCom and pretty basic I'd be cool to have a randomizer for gathering things like bees , bears, wolves- other lumberjacks? Attack or interact with you.

Grayhawk likes this.
  17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I hope they have something like this at first.
    And later either a way to contruct a bridge or use elephants or something to move logs around.
    http://tinyurl.com/o4peg5w

18. E n v y X I I I

E n v y X I I I Avatar

I'm all for this idea, maybe they should also use the axe speed and axe damage to use as how fast the tree falls, for example longer swing but a quicker fall rate in terms of how many chops are needed.

TigerKhan likes this.
  19. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

the falling of the tree represent the tree being out of resources, and not the acuall harvesting of wood... atleast thats how RG Explains it in the demo video.

And while i agree that its not extremely fun to just click and get resources, what are the alternatives.
    The more actions needed to get the resources, the more annoying the acual grind will get. Because, lets face it. It IS and will always be just that, a grind.

if i would need to do 10 differenct 'clicks' / actions per tree to gather resources.. well it would be fun the first 100 times, maybe. After that, only annoying.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  20. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

I like the idea of the tree falling first and after that making boards or other things of it.

In my opinion the game will benefit from realistic processes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.