Give me advice on making .abc music files from .mml and/or MuseScore

Discussion in 'The Bards of Poets' Circle' started by Mingo, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--I suspect someone out there can give some good information on making .abc files for character playable in-game music (software programs used, methodology, etc.) I am particularly interested in a) converting .mml files and b) converting MuseScore files.
    --I suspect more than one conversion program will be needed. Who has done this? How?

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I convert musescore songs to abc quite a bit but i dunno anything about .mml or anything.

I download the music as midi then edit it with Sonar, then convert it to abc with Starbound Composer

Sole, Mingo, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well it depends on how in-depth you want to get. For me I just want music files in my in-game sheet music folder to enjoy solo and also group play throughs. The music I add to the game are mostly abc files converted from lotro players. We got pretty much the Lord of The Rings Online music system implemented when players brought it to the Devs.

I use easyabc to copy the code to and save it to the games sheet music folder so I can access it in game.

Now that may be info outside of what you are wanting or needing. Myself I do not mess around with the songs to adjust them I just use as is. I know @Arkah EMPstrike, @Lace, and @Duke Ezekiel Cooper Are a few that are more knowledgeable to work with the files than I am.

Anyway best wishes in your endeavors and if I can help on playing music in game solo, in group, or how to add songs to blank sheet music I'm majoria in game.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

1 May 2021--I had difficulty but at last some partial success! I now can download a midi file, open it with Maestro and export in .abc format for use in sota. For some reason, Maestro refused for a long time to recognize that I had Java on my computer. I kept reloading the two programs, from different sources, and finally it worked. I think Maestro wanted an older version of Java.
    --Now I am finding various web pages with midi songs that I can convert, this opens up a great deal more songs that I can use as opposed to finding .abc format songs.
    --.mml files, however, I still cannot "translate" to .abc.....

Lily Byrd, Time Lord and Kailef like this.
  5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

20 May 2021--Here is an example of my question. I have a song that shows two parts when viewing in Maestro. I click both parts and save in .abc format, and I can play it. Then I go back and click only one part and save that, ditto with the other part. I now have three files, with different names.
    --Giving one part to another bard, and keeping the other part for myself we do the /play (songname) sync and get the confirmation that we are ready, then I do the /playstart. The synchronization is off. Advice?

Kailef and Time Lord like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps if you save each one separately. Like I save for example this song as: Somebody to love harp, Somebody to love flute, Somebody to love drums. That way each part is differentiated from the other ones. To play each group member must type their song name info exactly similar in a formation that looks like this:

/play somebody to love harp sync

/play somebody to love flute sync

/play somebody to love drums sync

/playstart

Since it only matters that you type exact songname as saved with /play and sync in it any instruments can be played such as harp named part can be played on a piano for example but harp must still be typed.

And don't forget you must be in group to sync a song together

Edited to try to clarify

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Mingo, Kailef, Elgarion and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--ah thank you. I keep experimenting.

Time Lord and Kailef like this.
  8. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

--ok. I took a song that shows 2 parts in Maestro. I checked one part and saved as abc format song1.abc. Then I switched and checked the other part saving it as song2.abc. My friend and I did the /play song1 sync and /play song2 sync (for the other person) and then /playstart.
    --In maestro, and when you play the song (both parts checked) it plays fine as a duet, although we seem to play exactly the same, even though the second part does not begin immediately. However, when trying to play a duet, using the 2 versions, the sync is off.
    --We tried setting up the songs, and "manually" playing a couple of notes (1,2,3) with no improvement.
    --So, advice and comments please.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is normal for some parts to start playing later. Some parts just come into play at a precise moment. I'm not in town or the game for a few weeks or I could send you an example of songs parts sounding different and starting at different times and what I'm speaking of. The parts should sound a little differently but you can sync two of the same song with different instruments as well. Try to each play a different instrument. For the song Somebody to love I like to add the accordion. Since we don't have horns at this time it can add that extra something. But yet to some songs it is just not right.

Time Lord and Mingo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.