Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Glyph Heat System

Discussion in 'Release 42 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Sheamus McGuinness, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How would that avoid cooldown?

2. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

I think you should leave offhand attack how it is... give the melee guys some love Chris! Pointless to use a weapon in high level pvp, this might make it interesting!!! MWAHAHAH

Chrystoph Reis and Merv DeGriff like this.
  3. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

@Chris For a less than min/max magic user, this was my feelings after playing around with my fire and earth decks. (Always sun.. need more sun.) Enjoy the bullets...

After playing with it last night the cost ramp was pretty hard. I know you mentioned in your earlier post int his thread that it was going to get adjusted and I agree toning the severity of the ramping/cost down might be a good idea. The ramping started to hit hard on some of the spells like searing ray. Cycling through searing ray, flame arrow and earth arrow (and the occasional fist.) as a test was draining on my focus even against bandits in a 3 skull area.

I do not feel a mage could run a 100% locked deck effectively, but melee characters may very well be able to.
    • Glyphs to keep on draw:
      • Spells that are spammed and have a cast time
        • Big Spells that have a higher focus cost and ramped pretty hard
        • Cast times gave a draw deck time to replenish them
          • Not stuck in a 'top deck' situation
    • Glyphs to lock:
      • Buffs,
        • Low use rate/long duration
        • DASH
          • This air glyph became more useful since its duration was less than the cool down.
          • Sustaining Dash and Sprint began to eat into focus ... but was fun to have Sonic the Hedgehog mode for a while. Fun for in town use.
      • Instant cast damage spells. (FIST!)
        • Fist spells will cast quickly in bursts.
          • Nice spike vs. Focus cost choice... felt good.
        • Avoids 'top decking' yourself (yeah more MTG speak... I know)
        • Lower spell cost eased up on that ramp a bit.
    I wish I had 2 character (I know @Chris ... Q3 or so. I'll wait.) so I could more effectively test melee... might use that massive pile of COTO's you hand out on QA to get some scrolls and retrain melee skills on the dummy. :) (You did un-suck pole arms right?)

4. Sheamus McGuinness

Yeah I think with this heat system the buff glyphs dont make much sense to have a heat on them. I would say make them non-heat and increase the GM duration to 10 minutes. What do you think about that @Chris ?

This would help in so many scenarios, including upcoming factions/guild wars and of course for long boss fights where you have your buffs on your utility bar but can never go out of combat so eventually you will be unbuffed.

discipleofweb likes this.
  5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Someone is trying to be like McDonalds! I'm loving it!

6. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I second this! :D

7. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

Quick swap and stack your buffs, they will last longer than 10 m

8. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

LOVE the heat system..didn't think I'd like it, but I think I'll probably make the switch to a locked deck for most things :)

9. Sheamus McGuinness

yes I have done this, but its a bigger pain in the ass, AND it takes focus both ways. Not an elegant solution ya know?

10. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

I think it's good to be a pita. If it's easy to keep buffs up all the time they are just awkward innates.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, not all buff glyphs are the same -- some are short lasting -- but you're right there are some with a long cooldown time and the buff disappears a long time after the heat goes down, so the heat system isn't useful.

But I would rather that for buffs, adding heat (or stacking) would add power to the buff a little bit. So say you add defenses by doubling up a Deflect, or Defensive Stance, or you add speed by doubling up a Sprint... at the cost of increased Focus lost. IMO, this would be a more appropriate way to deal with buff glyphs than charging them up, which is something else that's being discussed -- and which sounds more appropriate for attack glyphs.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Heh.. I just found one good reason for the heat system on buff glyphs...

You can get interrupted! I had my Ignite Weapon interrupted, and thanks to the heat system, I was able to try to cast it again immediately afterwards.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Could you please just make it so the slugs are based on the number of unlocked slots? So say 2 glyphs required for every 1 unlocked slot?

When building my decks I am looking for a balance of 1 extra slot per unique glyph I use. Currently the lowest I can get it is 18 glyphs required with 5 locked and 5 unlocked. Which works because I can put 4 stacks of 5 glyphs to make 20. But I can not go lower than 18. I think a good balance would be 2 required glyphs per unlocked slot. So if I am unlocking 2 slots to stack just one glyph someone with 40 in a skill can work with no slugs.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris, I'd still like to hear how slugs work to "keep people from just making 5 or 10 card decks just to avoid all cool downs". AFAIK, a 5 or 10 card deck is still subject to cool-down, whether it's locked or unlocked. Please elaborate.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I tested a lot over the past few days and this is my main concern. As if I was not looking at my bar enough, the heat system makes me truly need to sit there and watch my bar being required to keep an eye on every single fixed skill to see where its heat is at.

Not good.

But, I know Chris recognizes this thing with the old design and they have talked about ways to mitigate it on videos... so I suggest they get mitigating that.

To be clear, mobs in this game like to run across half the scene (archers/mages), combine that with not being able to watch the combat is a really bad thing and has been so for quite some time.

Chatele likes this.
  16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Did this issue get fixed? Because I'm going to continue to not use them if they're going to continue to miss a two fifths of the time.

From playing around last night with one of my decks that has a locked glyph on it I can say one thing I am looking forward to is being able to spam 5 consecutive Coup de Grace on some boss, it works quite nicely on Obsidian Golems :)

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, it's back to normal.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol well I went on QA like 3 times waiting for the heat system to show up. Then I asked another player and it is for locked. I really thought we would see the difference right off. I do not have a locked deck. I have a few locked things in each of my decks. I love many of the new visuals and sounds, but it does not feel yet like a major change to me. I know it is just me but what is the 'major'? I want to feel it too. :)

Chatele likes this.
  19. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Are buff glyphs on the utility bar supposed to eat up a lot of focus?

It seems like they did and were at max heat - they were also at high levels - in the 80's.

The defensives seem to be the same and have low heat - in the 90's for three of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.