1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh?
    Can you explain please?

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You forgot the Elephant in the room: GC to pay your deed tax.

3. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Adapt instead of adept.

Exploit because, well, these kind of RL<>ingame crossovers are the main venue for exploits in any online game since dawn of time. As in taking advantage of loopholes and leverage them, not necessarily shadily abusing bugs and misbalances.

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Sounds like the eve Meta game.
    I can deal with that but I can understand everybody that isn't willing to try that.

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That would work and not exclude anyone.

KuBaTRiZeS and Duke Albert like this.
  6. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. uziraff

uziraff Avatar

I've bought my brother a copy, and guess what... I payed for it once, he has not purchased anything beyond his $45 pledge that was given to him.

What must he buy at this point to continue on?

8. agra

agra Avatar

Nothing, if he doesn't want to keep his gear once it can no longer be repaired "normally" with repair kits. If that's true, he can buy replacement gear from NPC's or other players.
    If he wants to keep his gear, then he'll have to either obtain a COTO from the game as a drop, buy a COTO from another player in-game, or buy a COTO from the cash shop for $1. One COTO + a repair kit + a damaged item at a crafting station returns the item to full repair/max durability. (typically 100/100)

9. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Which might be kinda hard for new players.
    Most will be poor at the beginning. Some will be still poor even later on.

With broken gear it can be quite hard to gather some Gold or even trying to find a COTO.
    So what they will do is buy NPC gear instead of some COTO or player crafted gear, which may cost a lot more than an full NPC armor suite.
    But i bet some players will indeed throw 1$, 5$ or even more out of the window for some COTOS so they can repair their NPC armor suite so they don't have to spend their hard earned ingame Gold.
    A little bit smarter ones will instead sell the COTOS to other players so they can buy 10+ NPC armor suites...

*sarcasm on*
    Hmm yeah, great system for crafters, really super awesome!
    It's gonna work out well, i bet!
    *sarcasm off*

Solazur likes this.
  10. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed. In the past, Portalarium discussed a system whereby all vendors (player and public) would be searchable. That doesn't mean you could buy anything from anywhere, but you could find out where something was sold from a common interface.
    So you'd go to the "buy/sell board" and search for white iron helmets and it would tell you where the nearest one was sold (or nearest 10), and maybe even for how much. Then it's up to you to hoof it over there and buy it.

That would certainly make it easier for players to find gear, and at least a little bit, make it so it wasn't quite so important to be within the sight of the default zone-in point for player vendors.

I do not understand Chris's claim that COTO's were implemented to help crafters. It's illogical to me, and I can't get from A to B on that one.

Solazur, himmelweiss and Duke Albert like this.
  11. uziraff

uziraff Avatar

He had a habit of never repairing, and just buying new stuff anyhow. It took to much time out of his limited time playing to worry about repairing.

Solazur and agra like this.
  12. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

I would like this type of optional subscription very much if the crowns would disappear.

Stahlknecht, Snikorts and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

One can only hope! ;)

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  14. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I don't mind COTOs. What i don't like is them being used for the repair recipe. They could apply the same kind of model to other commodities, making further investment an option.
    You can keep your gear repaired all the time, taking an advantage over the person that can't or don't want to buy enough crowns to do that, either through the Add-On Store (consuming Money) or through currency farming in game (consuming Time). Repair through GCOTOs creates a behavior around a monetized element, and i see a fair reason for that to not be appreciated. Instead, we could arguee why do we need to use Crowns for max durability repair? why not offer other kind of convenient services?
    Different items crafted with the raw materials that are already in the game, that require a professional artisan to be applied?
    Special places where an experienced crafter can use the same raw materials the item was crafted with to restore it back to shape?
    A rare random event where you meet a strange man that claims to know secrets of an specific craft never revealed to man, and he's willing to
    That was awshum uncle Drocis! now tell us the story of ottomaddux the Durable and ottomaddux the NotSoDurableSoHeNeedToFightThroughHisDayToDayInCommonGear! :p
    Hear Hear!

I'm at favor of the optional suscription 4 fluff as well :D

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Nah. I ment to generate income.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Oh, that makes more sense! The thing is, i don't see why repairs should generate income by default. If you create a premium currency that's designed to buy convenience items and swag, it will be wide spread even when its just optional. What i'm trying to say is that if Max Durability Repairs are done through a purely in game mechanic that is translated into a rare item through gathering, refining, crafting and then expert application people will use COTOs to pay for that (or at least will use COTO to trade them for in game gold to another player, then use the gold to buy the repair item).

The result is the same, but instead of having players with time looking for COTOs, you have players with money looking for a repair item that has been produced in game by players. That perspective shift may lessen the impact of the implementation of a premium currency while keeping the sales.

The point stays in allowing the players to choose. In this day and age, in the exact moment people is forced to use an item that costs money (even when they don't have to) it's deemed as P2W and that ends in bad reviews and bad advertising. We should avoid that.

Snikorts and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Just as an aside, I've been playing in a combination of NPC store bought gear and the most basic crafted iron helm, gauntlets, boots and great axe since the start of R30. I haven't noticed any difference in my ability to kill mobs, and I can easily and cheaply replace those hand crafted iron weapons and armour using the ore that I get while building up my producer XP pool - the same XP pool that has allowed me to quickly reach GM in blacksmithing. I have no need to use COTS for repairs. It's more practical to simply replace stuff, and I've already received a +50 durability bonus on a set of gauntlets.

Time Lord, Retlaw, Ice Queen and 4 others like this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I never wear crafted armor because I don't like the time investment and don't have the money to pay for it in testing.

I killed a troll by myself at like level 40 something. Armor and weapons are overrated. It's really only when you're trying to min/max the heck out of the game for situational combat that you need to be in that crazy good gear. I hope it stays that way. I want to buy crazy good crafted gear from players, I just don't need to if all I'm doing is farming mobs.

Retlaw and uziraff like this.
  19. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    uziraff likes this.
  20. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

That's right, and the DEVs will have to deal with a lower population than what they were expecting.
    And As usual, the players will vote with their wallet.Which means, a lower income..
    Don't forget, they're making this game to make money..

In any case, the path they took is not really what we expect from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.