Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Goodbye Open PvP

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by Net, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Respectfully, couldn't disagree more with that line of thought:

1) Open PvP should be "random chaos". The only rules should be the game mechanics themselves.
    2) Not everyone here roleplays, especially in combat. In fact, once combat starts, nobody really roleplays (since there is literally no TIME to roleplay - you're just casting and swinging your weapon). Roleplaying should play little to no role in open PvP.

Dewderonomy, Tarsin, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

It wouldn't be random chaos if others come to retake a area or defend the good or bad guy .. some might say its Virtuous.. depending on your alignment.

If I am hanging out and someone or some people plan to jump ,rob or murder me , will they comply with the Tennis analogy ?
    Open pvp isn't a game its a Play style. its not an arena match .. it is open and like it or not it is sometimes chaotic. the fun part is for the current underdogs to rally more people or friends to defend themselves. if not move on to a different part of the game. We know Sota will have more good aligned people than bad .... if things get out of had . Put your foot down :)

3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I wasn't. That's why I said "die hard" PvPers. Sorry if I wasn't being clear ;)

Net and Baron Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  4. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

We nees Pk's and Anti-Pk's !

Let's do it community !

At last, with Full LooT, it would go to the bank :D

Tarsin, Moonshadow and E n v y like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

""Open PVP at its core should not be random chaos for the sake of random chaos. Why?""

this is the whole point, to many PvP players act just as you say shouldn't, hense the issue and problem, that unfortunately will not be overcome and results in PvP being something most players just don't want to deal with.

which was clearly shown :-(

FrostII and Net like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Can any die-soft pvpers chime in please ? I am getting confuzzled... poor lil potatoe.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I do have some issues with this. You cannot truly enjoy any other aspect of the game if you are constantly opened to attacks. Even if you manage to get support from others, you need to focus on combat and do not get to read the chat let alone reply. Also as I said earlier, I do not mind that there is option to attack others but there should be mechanic in place that would make it not worth it in most cases. For example known murderers should not be welcomed in towns imho. If they are, they will murder someone. Some people may be happy that they are leaving murdering for after the event. I think it is still murder and there should be some sort of punishment, reputation hit or something, that will clearly mark the criminal.

Also if PK kills someone and you kill them back, it may seem fair, but it is not really stopping them from killing someone else. So it ends up as a mess. I realize that some peopel want to fight just for the fighting itself. And well, they have currently the game they want. However, my point is that flagging for PvP should give you option to kill others, but it should not remove consequences of your actions. You should think twice before you kill someone. Is there merchant carrying valuable gems and not hiring guard to save money? Sure go ahead and kill them. Is there speaker in the middle of large gathering? Well, with all the witnesses be prepared to have guards looking all over for you.

Lord Lonn, Harmony2, Budner and 4 others like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea we come back to D&D, the same way a gamemaster would control a chaotic evil player and prevent him from killing all the other players, creativity and hands on moderation.

You cannot setup a system that is completely mechanical and fair because humans are not mechanical and fair.

It ends up giving the feeling noone really matters and you're just pvping for points...

Net likes this.
  10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I always enjoyed the old school feel of UO where you were pretty safe inside the town limits, stray beyond them at your own risk.

Dewderonomy, Budner and Schmidbauer like this.
  11. Doomgate

Doomgate Avatar

So I like when a person files a problend and tries to find a result, up to this point it felt like u just had a bad night and needed to complain. I feel this thread should be moved to pvp and not be a release feed back, But what ever.

So what would you think of a mortality banner behind our health bars that show 3 clours blue for normal players, Grey for criminal that killed players with in city bounderys, Red players that committed multiple "grey" offensives.

Blue players do what they feel like, Grey will be followed by guards while in city limits, red will be attacked on sight by guards. Attacking a player in town with out a duel being announced will result in a timed red flag to put pressure on the player if they kill the target and the red timer goes off they will have a grey, kill say 5 people in city limits result in a permit it red flag. Guards will have to be like boss encounters to make them a threat.

Grey players will have to pay sizable fees (town lot price I'm thinking) of whitch 60% go to the victim to remove the grey banner, red banners will have to live in bandit camps to sell and trade and will have to live with what they did.

To clarify attacking a blue or grey player in city limits with out a duel being declared and accepted give you a red flag allowing anything and everything to engage you on sight

(Sorry for mistakes cellphone and auto correct lol)

Noctua and Net like this.
  12. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Your tourneys are alot of fun. Without alot of guards its tough to keep the peace. Sad that this happened.

Lord Lonn, Harmony2 and Net like this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It goes round and round...

The more you break down the argument the more you realise that its not really an argument at all, its more of a loooong infinite justification for the devs not to have an active hand, or work on their own premise once the game is official and launched.

Thats why I say we cannot argue because we lack experience, the gamemasters left in the middle of the story in UO, one quick look at the archives will make that abundantly clear.

We were just getting a good foothold in being able to unfold a massive story with dynamic anchors and a kind of "roleplaying-pvp" etiquette... the circumstances were never reunited again, in any game.

I know blah blah, some people will argue it was a one time thing, well on the contrary it happens everytime someone has vision and also doubles as a game master, fun happens.

We're basically just being told, we'll set the game up and you guys will determine the rest, was that ever done in the history of roleplaying games ?

No... but it was done with SIMS games... and I simply won't accept it.

I mean I'll eventually come around... but I still won't accept that a passionate CROWD SOURCED experienced dev team seem to be reluctant about also being game masters. It just wont process in my mind...

Cause if they said that, then noone would throw in easy arguments like "someone is going to abuse all the social and game mechanics" cause that someone would stick out like a bad apple and would be dealt with in a way that forces him to roleplay, which requires HUMAN INGENUITY and applied ethos.

Simple, yes !!! ITS SIMPLE !

Rampage202 and Net like this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Doomgate, did you just really repeat the good old UO rules ?

Everyone knows about those rules... it was a good start, but highly insuffiscient for sophisticated playing.

Net likes this.
  15. Doomgate

Doomgate Avatar

Um... I have know idea what UO rules are sorry I bearly know anything about UO. I was trying to adapt rules from Mortal Online

Abydos likes this.
  16. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

@Net
    I would be Fine with murders being kept out of Sota City's or Killed on sight .. criminals don't hang out with Cops or at the PTA .. but I would like it if they had a bad side of town that a criminal could be zoned into for a bank and Inn and the good person could choose to go into this side of town if they wanted , but if the Pk entered the good side of town ,,,they get the Halberd slap chop. We could never expect a known Killer to hang out in the open of a City ..... This would preserve the banking zones the Dev's have talked about and still keep items more regional.

If I was involved in a large event I wouldn't have a problem Un flagging PVP to help keep order or chaos to a minimum.. I just found your Video to be a random act of violence that could happen to anyone It might not have been fun but it was out of the blue. and if the lot owner could ban it would be over after your first death ...

I totally respect your post I was only giving my opinion on why I was ok with it .. and to point out that everyone at that event could have been PVP flagged and still send the aggressors Packing with a /I ban thee ...

Net and Moonshadow like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well this games creators also created UO, and it looks like mortal online just copied the rules to that great game.

Ahem...

18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Hate to say it.

But I told you.

The only way to prevent/discourage what's in that video is to oppose the force of min/maxing exploits with the force of numbers. When it's 5:1, and every time your attacker dies he'll be spawn camped till all his eq crumbles to dust, you will be left alone at the next event. Not a second before. Players must police themselves. They have the tools. If they don't use the tools they have, they will fall prey of who has not the slightest shadow of a doubt when coming to take advantage of every single diminutive game system imperfection to their aid.

That, or remove your flag.

Free choices, inevitable consequences.

Sean Silverfoot, Spoon and Doomgate like this.
  19. Doomgate

Doomgate Avatar

Well I dont what the problems was that lead to (ya I cant spell that what you said about it) in UO but I must admit in mortal it worked till they played with the guards any the Reds relised there at more risk dieing from a butter fly than a guard

Net likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Sadly I think this thread is going to be ultimately a divide in the community. We all know that nothing is balanced right now, there are no guards in the cities, and we know that without any justice system in place we will have this. I realize that if you are flagged you are free game, and its open pvp right now. I want the pvp crowd to have all the joys of the ambush, the raiding and such in the pvp world. I can understand though at the dismay of some that the guards and areas that should discourage such behavior are not in place yet. PvP has always been about using every trick in the book, and if you dont use it, it will be used against you, it is the nature of the beast, and pve needs to understand and accept that. However, there will be and should be safeguards in the future to protect people in certain areas. For now the best thing to do if you do not want to be ganked, is just unflag for all is fair right now in the free for all that is pre alpha pvp flagging.

Lord Lonn, Bambino, Harmony2 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.