Great job with R50

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyndoman, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

This update, R50 has really pleased me.

• Love the additional crafting skills.
    • Combat feels different, better. It may be the effect of the Vanilla Coke I just had but I am aware of work being done on it.
    • Wolves, love them. Love to kill and skin them.
    • The improved font on the UI, SOTA is starting to look cool.
    And a bunch of other stuff, but I have to keep this short as I have to rush down to Deep Ravenswood as I heard from @Rada Torment that "wolves", correction bears are dropping teeth like crazy and my axe is looking forward to doing a little dental work.

So well done Port, big thumbs up.
    And who wouldn't want a collection of bear teeth?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Primal Bear Tooth, no wolf tooth yet ;)

[​IMG]

Not sure yet if all tier bear/wolves or just Obsidian ones.

3. Lyndoman

Lyndoman Avatar

@Rada Torment My mistake, in my rush to get my axe I mistook bear for wolves.

No problemo, bear steak on the dinner table tonight ;)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  4. Rada Torment

My friend just found one of the new recipes! Primal Bear Head, we need 5 teeth to craft, I guess we have same for wolves, etc.

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The only problem I have with the new refining skills is that it doesn't work beyond the first tier of components needed to make items. By this, I mean:

- Iron Ore into Iron Ingots. It works fine, because Iron Ingots are what you need to make items.
    - Animal Hide into Leather. It works fine, because Leather is what you need to make items.
    - Raw Cotton into Spools of Cotton. Does not work, because a great number of items in Tailoring don't need spools, it needs Bolts. I need another tier of components, which is still capped at 20, to make items.
    - Maple Wood into Maple Timbers. Does not work, because vast majority of items in Carpentry don't need timbers, it needs Boards. I need another tier of components, which is still capped at 20, to make items.

Lyndoman likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have to agree. This is one of the best patchs I have seen in the past 2+ years and the game actually feel significantly more polished.

Mortanius, gtesser, Bow Vale and 6 others like this.
  7. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Ill have to log in again this weekend to check out.

Rada Torment likes this.
  8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I'm not sure I completely agree with you here. These skills are meant to work only on "Refined materials". Ingots, leather, timbers, and spools are all refined materials, whereas bolts and boards are components... you need to start with the base of ingot/leather/spool/timber first and if these skills make you more efficient in making those, then by extension, you are more efficient in making the components.

Now, I get what you mean with needing a new tier for components (mostly to increase batch sizes). It would certainly help when mass producing items with certain components (especially boards). Perhaps they will expand the refining skills to have new ones for components at some point?

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Smelting and tanning also require additional combines. To make plate armor, you have to make metal sheets. To make leather armor, you have to make yards of leather. Afaik, the only thing that isn't balanced between the different refining skills is making coils, because making coils counts as refining, whereas making sheets, yards, bolts, etc, doesn't.

edit: My bad. Coils actually count as components also, and not refining, so that is the same also.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    eli likes this.
  10. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

YOU GOT RID OF OUTRIGHT IMMUNITY ON ELEMENTALS!!!!
    I didn't have to kite while trying out some low level spells in a 4 skull area, I could layer some defensive skills and they as a combined group kept me from getting face rolled too badly.

You got me to pick of a staff again!

Richard and Starr, if Chris can polish up that specialization stuff for magic for R51 I will upgrade the collective beers to burgers/dogs and beers.

Thanks for R50, looking forward to R51,

11. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Nice, but wouldnt it be logical that a water elem wouldnt be damaged by a water tree type spell? Or fire elem with a fireball spell etc? Some games ive played using magic on elem that was related to their source would heal them which makes sense to me.

twofoldsilence likes this.
  12. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

+1 Agree! This is a great release!

Wilfred and DarkStarr like this.
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I agree that it's awkward. Using cooking as an example: butter to me is a refined material from milk, but does not get to take advantage of the refining skills. Wood pulp is another refined material but also does not get to use these skills. Maybe in another pass they can flag more of these recipes as refined materials.

As for the original topic: I agree! This release has been the best yet. Funny that the past few releases have all been the best yet. I think we are on to something here.

14. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

It's all relative. Poor a glass of water into a raging fire and it will just disappear into thin air. Pour a bucket of water on a match however is a different story. Put a small fan in front of a fire, it will just make it bigger and help it spread. Whereas a 100mph gust of wind would put that fire out. Etc. etc.

15. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

By the same token, water ele's do RESIST the ice spell pretty hard... but I can damage them now. you could see that as "I am the master of water, now submit. Kneel before ZOD!"

Good times. Though as expected Earth bolt and Searing Ray are much harder hitting vs. water eles. :)

16. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I was in a party of 8 at a control point, fire raging, meteors flying, mobs everywhere and the game looked and was running incredibly! Next to no hitching or lag and all movements were so fluid and smooth. Said over and over again how amazed I was. Was amazing. Incredible.

That said, now need to balance combat skills again and make it so I can hit someone in the back again.

Senjut, FrostII, gtesser and 5 others like this.
  17. Rada Torment

Awesome! can't wait to play my next CP in Superstition.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks all, we appreciate the sentiment! We're working super hard to make this game the best we can, and your help has really pushed us to new levels recently.

Mortanius, Barugon, Wilfred and 6 others like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree this release was on a new level.

Bow Vale likes this.
  20. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

I haven't played with the crafting updates yet, however R50 has been a concern for me due to the release state of Sunless Barrens.

For those of you that experienced it, Sunless Barrens (As of 721) is broken (no better way to describe it). You can't hit mobs properly and they are in cover half the time. Then if you collide with the wrong thing you end up in the sky.

This has been fixed in 722 I believe (I won't have a chance to try it for another couple of days), however my concern is that we are 2 releases away from launch and this obviously broken zone slipped through QA. If this was the release patch the critics would have ripped it to shreds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.