Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Grinding needs to be removed

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

joviex - i agree completely. but, grinding does have its place when in the correct context as you mentioned in your first line *grin*

is it an iron wolf? *chuckle* clockwork wolf?

very well said with each point there, friend.

Lord Baldrith and Joviex like this.
  2. Lord Colin

Lord Colin Avatar

This isn't even close to a grind.

However, there needs to be some grindy type element to the game. Two days in and I'm approaching level 50, how on earth is that a grind? Right now it's harder for me to find iron ore than it is to level.

I'm a huge critic of the current skill system. It's pre-Alpha, so I'm hopeful many changes are made. In a game that claims to be a "spiritual successor" to Ultima Online, it's disheartening to learn that actually using my skills doesn't increase their effectiveness.

3. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I like grinding so I guess anything I state will be biased towards grinding. And I don't find this game and its playstyle grindy at all. That said, I'm still only level 15 (managed to get there from level 9 after completing a few quests - more of an accident than really intending to level). So maybe it'll get more grindy if I go higher? But then again, there are so many things you can go running around to do that can distract you from grinding. In fact, I was kind of disappointed when I did jump from lvl 9 to lvl 15 after just completing those quest. :rolleyes: Weird, I know.

Well, maybe if you stopped to smell the roses? It might be hiding in plain sight. I know I was like *facepalm* when I first found it. All that time I was passing it by to get the trees and garlic.

4. Katu

Katu Avatar

Do not read, if your feelings are easily hurt.

Mob killing grind is always better than quest grinding. God i hate that. Just get bunch of quest and run around talking to NPC's.. Get few horns from there and claws from there and bring those to me. Just no.
    I certainly hope there will be no limitations to xp, if someone want's to grind same mobs. Who are you ( generally speaking ) to tell me, how to level up. To me, leveling up is a process that i need to get done with, to get my character ready for end game content. It's not like i will be reading and listening all the NPC chat's and learning about the culture of Owl's head. Don't force that.

I don't RP and i don't see anything bad about farming some place for week to get your character from level x to x+20. But i see problem, if i have to complete riddles and quests and study history of video game imaginary world, just to get my self to a point, where i can actually enjoy the game ( btw. i enjoy mob grinding ).

PS: No offence

5. Resurrected

Resurrected Avatar

I would hope that with it being a sandbox style game that there will be many ways to progress your toon. As what one player may seem as a grind another will not. The poster above is a typical example. He/she hates doing NPC quests but enjoys killing mobs to progress.

As long as there are options then hopefully the majority will be happy. Let's face it Portalarium will never be able to make EVERY player happy.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I disagree I don't call it grinding because I am enjoying my time with my guild mates. The game for me is the medium to enjoy my time with guild use . We joke around and have a few laughs and then it doesn't seem like a grind. This is supposed to be an MMO. My 2 cents.

So what is it you are suggesting ? That we can simply adjust our levels instead of what we have ? Or do away with them all together?

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  7. Duke William of Serenite

Now what they should add is exp for crafting and of course questing and make it that you can level to max level by questing or crafting . Is this what you had in mind??? Cu this is starting to sound like a stupendous idea. Why force people to kill minions for gold/xp when u can craft or quest too. I plan to craft a lot I hope they add co if they haven't already I haven't crafted much tbh.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The game should offer a natural progression while going through the world and the story. There should never be places during the story you cannot visit or quests you cannot do just because you do not have the appropriate level. The progress in the game should be flowing so that you can follow the storyline and do every quest without being forced to stop and kill 20 bears until you reach the level you need.

Another annoying thing is respawning enemies. Where do they come from? Why do they magically reappear? Why is everything I do in the game pointless? If I kill the Lich in the ruin he reappears, so what did I accomplish by killing it? Nothing. This destroys not only immersion, atmosphere and the believability of the world but also the sense of accomplishing something in the game.
    Seeing enemies, especially bosses, respawn means for me that I cannot accomplish anything by killing them. I will never be able to free the swamps from the evil Lich as he reappears over and over again. So it doesn't matter if I kill it. I cannot accomplish anything by killing it.

docdoom77, Joviex and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. Duke William of Serenite

Maybe adjusting the amount of XP you get per quest so you dont have to grind? As for that boss being killed and changing the world itself .... I dont see that happening unless in single player mode.

10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Or maybe that's where the story will branch off for single vs multi player storyline. So, if in SP mode, you kill off the wolf leader, he'll stay dead. But because there is still the evil that besieges the land, his pack of minions will continue to hound the hills because you still haven't gotten rid of the Greater Evil. But no more mini boss to kill off.

Come to think of it though, maybe the above situation also applies to multiplayer. So, even though you managed to kill off the mini-boss, wolf leader, because you still haven't done off with the evilest of leaders, the powers of corruption still infest the land and thus leave others to compete and rise to the new position of leadership. After all, if an alpha male becomes weak, he can always be dethroned and another will replace him. o_O

11. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I know this thread is nearly a month old, but, 2 things:

In another thread, someone said that high level backers get no favoritism, or it can't be proven. Just seeing Joviex's statement about the dev+ members given obscene amounts of gold, well.......let's just say I was shocked to hear it.

And another thing:

The only thing forced grinding encourages are scripters. The only way they can circumvent that tedium is to program scripts. It ruins it for everyone.

The way crafting is designed right now, someone told me it's to circumvent scripters. No, it only encourages people to make them. Who wants to put up with clicking and grinding?

My husband says that fishing is relaxing to him. NOT ME. Forget that stuff. I'll do it but how boring!

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Fishing is awesome!

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree, fishing is awesome, I cannot wait for the boats to gain the ability to sail!

Tahru likes this.
  14. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Until you complimented Sir Cabirus on his website, I never knew his signature had the link, nor that he was German (or German speaking). lol

(my husband is German & can understand the website, me, not so much...)

Great website though :D

15. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Meaningful fishing, like killing kraken's in UO, is not boring. But standing on a shore......clicking for an hour or more every day...........

blech

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    and that is why men go fishing, because women do not! J/k :p (sorry couldnt resist) :)

Tahru, Lord Baldrith and Caliya like this.
  17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Point taken. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.