Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Grinding needs to be removed

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yes, because that was my argument.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I went back and reread your argument and I still don't see where that's been communicated. But I'm glad we agree all the same.

For Reference:

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

My point was that you need to have to have a reason to progress, and you have to have a way to progress....having to fight random monsters to level up should be required....I'm not talking epic grinds but you have to have places that require you to come back to them at a later time. It not only allows the characters to develop but also allows the developers to have content that isn't as time intensive to develop. Which also has the benefit of giving them a bit of a buffer between large content areas.

4. Drocis the Devious

Yes, if that's the model you're following.

But if you simply made a game where there were no levels and you had to complete quests and tasks in a specific order, then there's no need to grid at all. There are other ways this could be done too, I'm just giving one example. The point is that it all depends on how you design your game. If you make it like Dungeon Siege then sure, you have to level up your character before you can ever goto the Island of Mystery or whatever. But if you make it so there are no levels or the combat is not level dependent, then you don't.

The problem is that some people like grinding, and in fact only play RPG's to grind. When I suggested that the devs not make us grind anymore and let us keep our levels, I had a huge number of people come out of the woodwork and tell me they loved grinding! It's really become a staple of online gaming.

I personally hate it and think it's a boring activity and if I wanted to play solitaire I would already be doing that. But to each their own.

Joviex likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You used dungeon seige...I will use ultima 1 to 9....bards tale 1 to 3....baldurs gate 1 and 2...etc....I'm not talking mowing through enemies like dungeon seige here.

6. Drocis the Devious

I'm not suggesting you are. I'm saying that's what the current build is like. They're all the same really. But they don't have to be.

Joviex likes this.
  7. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

I am sad to say that after about 30 hours of play I have given up for now.

I wish I could test/bug hunt crafting skills without needing a boring grind to do it.

Joviex likes this.
  8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

It's obvious to me they made house plots expensive to see who can cheat the system and raise funds too quickly to track how they did it,
    I can't see any easy way other than the spawning chests which won't exist at launch obviously, and even those chests spawn rates have
    been slowed down so much that it's too slow of a way to earn gp. Don't know if they'll publicly release the top gold amount earners
    but they'll track it and seems to be a focus, whereas the focus for the last launch were the level grinders.

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I'd say, sure! What a good way to find bugs! Make em grind for it!

Except for the ungodly sums of money they handed out during the pre-launch week to dev+ members to buy said housing?

Makes no sense when you give the group of people, those who are pretty much here at every single release, i.e. your major testers - gobs of money to circumvent the thing you want tested?....

Yeah.

Which would really be a nice list -- akin to the very group of people who just got warrants from R.G. in the stream. Crazy.

Cheers.

10. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

I disagree with the original post stating that Grinding should be removed. I think all players should be allowed to 'play' anyway they choose.

If you choose to play Open PVP, then go for it.
    If you choose to sit on a rock at Owl's Head all day and watch others around you, then you should be allowed to do that.
    If you choose to never put on armour and never fight anything, then that is your choice as well.
    If you choose to go to the same spot every day and gather whatever resources that are there, then more power to you.
    If you choose to sit in a pub for hours at a time soaking in the conversations from the other players, then that really is your business and no one else should care.

Not completely sure why someone would think they should have the power to dictate/mandate how another player plays a game and what they might find enjoyable or important to them. Who cares what level someone else is? Who cares if they walk around in their underwear while they play? Who cares what another player does if it doesn't prevent you from playing the way you want to play.

I appreciate a game that leaves those decisions up to me.

11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

you are confusing play style with game progression.

the OP is about progression, and how the current mini game for advancement is a grind.

not about play style, or the lack thereof.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Even if those decisions affect or compromise the game experience of others?

13. refridelagosta

refridelagosta Avatar

Correct me if i'm wrong, but what seems to be the issue presented in this topic is the mandatory mob grinding required to further advance in questing in the game.

If that's the case, it can be solved, won't be easy, and it won't please everyone, nor will it even make sense to everyone.

You can't get rid of grinding in an MMORPG, players will always have something to grind, the mobs, resources, quests (including the storyline ones), skill usage etc. BUT, you can get rid of MOB GRINDING.

You could completely remove the leveling system from the game, but you would need to redo other systems in the game as well, and the way the mobs work too.

You could also tie the leveling to the main storyline of the game, at level 1 a player would be at the beginning of the storyline, at the level cap, he would be at the end of it, each quest in the storyline would allow the player to be strong enough to face the next one, without the need to stop for mob grinding (this, by the way, is a pretty difficult task, since you have this double balancing between player level and game difficulty, which is corrected in most games by allowing mob grinding). BUT NOW, you'll have players mowing through the quests and grinding the whole storyline just to get to the end of it and reach level cap.

Pick your poison...

Moonshadow likes this.
  14. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

I believe I said it shouldn't matter if how you play doesn't prevent others from playing how they want to play.

majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I like the system as it is. Love a good grind. Also like that you can respec and be a mage if your grow tired of being and archer and the like. Its a pretty major feature to ask to have removed ...

majoria70 and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Life is a grind, but it is fun anyway. Without a grind, there would be no achievement or fun. It's a virtual world, so some grinding actually makes it seem more real. If there is nothing to work toward, there would be no reason to play. So I say grind away, just make it entertaining.

The harder something is to achieve, the more rewarding it is in the end. Grinding can be part of the challenge. I was never a fan of when mature games make things easier in each release. I don't like it because it was just more fun when it was harder, and it pokes at the artificial sense of accomplishment getting it done.

What I definitely don't like is when everything is for sale. In most cases, when I achieved things in other games, I would just hide it. It is more fun to be, "just be another player" anyway. That is my preference.

majoria70 likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

oooo feeling forced to do quests was on thing i hated most about MMOs. But i also hate grinding. But the way they say this is going ot be set up, doesnt seem like such a tedious type of grind, but more of a "rewarded for daily activity" grind ^^

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I would really love to know what the devs plan in regards to respawning, grinding and repeatable quests.

Joviex and Sir Cabirus like this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i believe that some people like grinding, and that in some situations it is recommended - and that there are many types of grinding..

i plan on playing this game for many years to come, and know there will be a time where i just GOTTA HAVE item X that i can craft..so i WILL grind for materials to make the item sooner than later. i tend to hyperfocus like that at times.

i do not plan on grinding levels. i have no care for that. as i said, I'll be here for years, so I'll get to where i wanna be eventually.

at the same time, i do not feel that people grinding are better prepared in the future, i actually believe they will be less prepared. by grinding, you miss out on so much awesome in a game, it is just sad. - but some people just look at the end result, ignoring the journey. that is their prerogative and i do not wish to force them away from that. - it frees up the zones I'm in so i can enjoy it more, anyway. :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

The only grinding I like is garlic, and with my lover.

Grinding, to whomever said it is in every MMORPG and RPG, I feel sad for them.

Perhaps that is your experience, in whatever watered down, crappy run DM/GM games you play, but that is not the only way to level, learn and expand skills and knowledge.

Growth in knowledge comes from taking something known and applying it to something unknown, and learning something NEW. Not doing that same action thousands of times. You practice, of course, when you first learn a skill, which leads to MASTERY.

Fixing a carburetor 100x times does not make you more skilled at changing a muffler.

Killing a wolf, 100x, should not make me more skilled at iron smelting, nor should it continue to raise my experience, just my efficiency. We don't have efficiency in this game, which makes it JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE.

Nor should it allow me to raise my intelligence. Perhaps my strength -- after having used my sword 1000 times. Maybe my dexterity, slightly.

Killing a wolf 100x should make me ridiculously better at KILLING A WOLF. I should no longer have to hit a wolf 10x times -- I should be more efficient at a wolves vulnerabilities, just as any hunter specializing in a species.

I should even, potentially, become MORE SKILLED at tracking wolf TYPE creatures, and also have a slight increase to killing them as well, seeing as how they would be akin to WOLVES.

Caliya, Lord Baldrith and Sir Cabirus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.