Heraldry Artwork Community Help

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Berek, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Creating a new thread here to help fellow heraldry interested players ask their questions about the art aspects of creating a blazon, or if you have the skills for making a blazon to offer your services to others.

Here are the Heraldry Blazon Guidelines. Also, show off your Heraldry Screenshots Here!

Here are some cool Heraldry examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2018
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Feel free to let me know if I can be of service to anyone in the community.

3. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I have a rough design but would love help from someone more graphically inclined. I can post my mockup later tonight if anyone is willing to help. Blazon would be the shattered moon, bordered by immortality fronds, all above an arrow and scroll positioned in an X, which are bordered by two wolf heads laterally. Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to any willing to help : )

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've already helped many get their submissions together, and I'm almost always willing to help others.
    Please message me!

5. Swami2

Swami2 Avatar

Do non-founders get a couple of unlock blazon vouchers? I sent the wrong image :(

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I think I understand...

A few comments/questions...
    • I *think* I understand what you mean by "Immortality Fronds"... would they have the fruit attached or no?
    • The single Arrow would be too thin to be seen at a distance... Perhaps a sheaf of arrows so they might have the same visual weight as the scroll?
    • Would the two wolf heads be on either side of Daedalus inside it's Immortal Wreath, or either side of the crossed Scroll and Arrows?
    Personally, I think this is probably going to be too busy. If it were me, I'd use Daedalus environed of the Immortality Wreath, and ditch the rest.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Ronan and alioth like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you have the Art for each of th eitems you want and send them to me I can assemble them in a Heraldry items eazy Peazy.

Just send me a PM and if possible attach Pic of each item you want. The broken moon I am assuming is from the game so it will have ot be the big one oyu need to have the artwork for. all the others should be easy to find the art and get a pic of them

alioth and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Some general guidelines for Heraldry Submission: (Assuming a custom image, and not using the generator)
    • The Image that is Produced is SQUARE, it doesn't matter what shape the file you send them is it will be a 256x256 pixel Square when they get done with it.
    • Submit a Square Image, that way you know exactly what it will look like in game.
    • Make the Image as Big as you Can in that Square. That area you have to work with is Yours to Use. if you plop an image in the middle of the square and leave a lot of negative space around it, you're going to get a small image on your chest/shield/banner. Portalarium will Not Crop it for you.
    • Submit a Big Image, at least 512x512 or Bigger even. Portalarium will size it down to 256x256, and I'm impressed with the result of their scaling.
    • Simple Solid Color Background is (IMHO) better than one that is dependent on the Field (Background). (See my Forum Avatar) I completely changed the device I had been using for 4 years to make best use of the published system once I knew how it worked.
    • Use a Transparent Background unless you're using the Entire Square. You'll want to submit an .svg or .png file that supports transparency. In case the previous two statements confuse anyone, what I mean is design your device so that you could theoretically plop it down on any color... That background in your image should be Transparent. When it gets in game, dye your item to whatever color you want the background to be, and that color will be seen through your image once applied. When I submitted my Eagle, it was only the eagle... all the part that is purple in my forum avatar was Transparent.
    • If the Field (Background) is important to your device, I'd suggest you put it on a Heater Shape for submission (See my Forum Avatar) or a circle or a triangle or an octagon or whatever shape you want, but You need to control this, otherwise you'll get a Square... And a square is fine if that's what you want!
    • K. I. S. S.* - Simple != Boring. Simple can be Dramatic.
    • Use Bold Shapes and Colors with Good Contrast.
    I'll add more as I think of them.

* Keep It Simple, Stupid

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  9. Serafina

Serafina Portalarian Emeritus

10. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Thanks for the offers for assistance! Here is my mock up, it's crude but hopefully will be a nice "before" picture someday. I posted in transparent and in pink background for better visibility. It is 256x256 at this size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tsumo2 likes this.
  11. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

So, I made my first ever telethon purchase today and I purchased a Heraldry Plate Armour pattern. :)

Anyway, I haven't decided on a heraldry for my character and was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out. The meaning of my character's clan name is "Radiant Shield" and I am interested to know what ideas you all can come up with to represent that in heraldry format. What symbolism and colors would one use to immediately convey the meaning radiant shield to an observer.

12. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

here are my mock ups -in submission:

Complete (may be to big for ingame details..-lets hope for the best)

[​IMG]
    Retainer 1
    [​IMG]

Retainer 2:
    [​IMG]

Jaesun, Tsumo2 and Baratan like this.
  13. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I am also available to assist anyone although my time is a bit limited.
    Here are a few links to previous workings and some good examples of images to use. If you scroll to the bottom of a few of the pages you can see some of the square designs we were working on:
    https://sotagalleryofarms.weebly.com
    https://avatararms.weebly.com

@Rufus D`Asperdi you are so correct when you say K.I.S.S.

This was the color pallet we were using, the color choices provide good contrast. :
    [​IMG]

14. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Thanks for this. Very Helpful. I wish I had this before uploading my blazon. :p

Ronan and Rentier like this.
  15. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Can someone with better photoshop-fu help me getting a color on my image just right? :p I'm trying to get my rampant lion to be 255 213 23 without messing up the outlines, but I cant get it closer than 255, 223, 74 and that's a lot more "yellow"

If it helps anyone else, I've noted that in-game the blazon appears more-like when I turn the contrast up 25 points in Paint Shop Pro X than it appears naturally in Paint Shop Pro X. So my "golden" lion appears a lot more yellow in-game than expected. Take the attached screenshot for instance. I have the in-game saturation setting at 50.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  16. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Material Properties and switch the view to Slider. Then you can type in the exact number you need for colors.

17. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

What program is this done in? I am using Paint Shop Pro X

18. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

paint shop pro 2018

19. Birko

Birko Avatar

I'm not an expert,but will share what I have found.
    It may help others designing their heraldry.

Preview your image as an 8bit indexed color image. Shading and shape happens in game.
    I think that you are best limited to 8 colors and transparency.

Have maximum contrast to ensure black is seen as black, and that white is seen as the "color white" rather than transparency.

I'll use Rentier's above submission to try to explain indexed color, and note the vignette of the purple area :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a brilliant design that will work well in game.
    Shading and shadows are a general no-no, but can work if you are aware of an eight colour palette.
    If you can physically sew it as a flag, then it is good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    CatherineRose and Rentier like this.
  20. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

I didn't know those basics - big THANKS for that

BTW: I only tried using the shades to let the oval feel as a egg in 3D
    and it seems my gut was right that this might work :D

CatherineRose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.