Hometown Question/Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WindSilvermoon, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

As someone who spent a great deal of time in hometown last wipe, it is my oppinion that any and all who contribute their time to helping the hometown initiative, should be rewarded in some way, nothing substantial of course but letting them keep the skills they earned is a good incentive, and for all those that are complaing/concerned about the effect it will have post final wipe, the solution is simple. dont complain about it, and start helping thus earning the sane as everyone else, why should they be penalised for being generous enough to donate the most valuable resource in this game imo which is their time? Whilst you can sit around and press a few keys arguing how its unfair.. and @Justyn04 had dedicated more time to hometown than any other person , if anyone deserves recognition and reward its her!! :)

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why not ask for a medal?

That isn't substantial? You must be having a laugh.

Who are you to judge whether people help the game or not? Some people do things silently without the need for a constant pat on the back from a community clique. Why should you get nothing after the final wipe? because if you did it be of huge detriment to the game.......that is a very expensive price to pay for a 'pat on the back'

They chose to do it......simple as that. and you said the key word "donate", so now you have donated why do you want payment?

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

You're saying it like our war veteran deserve no benefits from the government because they "volunteer" to join the military. Ok maybe that's an apple and orange comparison, but fruits are fruits.

Mal Hari and HogwinHD like this.
  4. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

you can slice it anyway you like, and i in no way said i should get payment, i merely stated i deserve something, and how can you say thats substantial.. if people put the time in, then they should be rewarded, if they choose to remain anonomous and want no reward thats fine, but it makes me laugh that people are finding anything and everything to have a go about because they have nothing better to do

5. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

GOD BLESS YOU... i could not have said that better :)

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Your really comparing someone who has decorated hometown to a war veteran?

Sorry that is screwed up at best, disrespectful at worst.

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Ok before things turned into another of flame war. I'll just take a step back and say this. Justyn is the one who spent most of the time and effort in Hometown this round and she did not ask for anything in return beside requesting people to help with decorations.

It is ok if you don't like the concept of Hometown. Don't like it, don't go there. To trash her for her volunteer work is also screwed up at best, disrespectful at worst.

Womby likes this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No one forced you to spend any time..... You volunteered to do it.

I highly doubt Portalatium are daft enough to do some of the things that are being suggested. Once again it is of detriment to the game.

mbomber and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You really need to read what I have said rather and reading what you want to read.

I have not trashed anyone, all I have said is that no one should get 'stuff' after the final wipe and it is up to Portalarium to decide what to do with hometown after the final wipe that doesn't involve players.

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

My apology for the misunderstanding, I did not mean to single out at you. There were people out there that trashed Hometown volunteers the moment they heard that the dev gave them resources to decorate Hometown before even looking at how Hometown had helped people making decisions that involved with money. It is the main frustration point for many volunteers who just do it for the community and not personal gain.

I agreed with you that no one should get stuff after the final wipe in Hometown. Some name recognition would be nice, but there should be no perks and edges over those who are not part of the project.

Anyway, my point is also that to go tell those who volunteers that "hey tough luck, you volunteer for it, sucka!" is also a detriment to the community. It discourages people to go above and above beyond to get involved with other people to do something that would benefit others.

There are ways to discuss about the direction of Hometown without making the volunteers feel bad, you know?

As for veteran comparison, not long ago, I went to a chained fast food joint to grab a quick food during the road trip. I was on the line behind of this guy who went to buy a meal. He looked like he was short on cash as he looking into his pocket. He asked the cashier if there was a discounted for a veteran. Then there was this brat nearby telling him something along the line "you deserve no discount. stop wasting taxpayer money" (not exact the words, but you get my point). I and couple other people on the line were quite upset when were heard that. In the end it was all good, because someone paid for his meal and the jerk got told off. I know that the magnitude of war veteran is different from Hometown decorator. But it irks me every time someone told those who volunteers to the community to go "beat it" and they deserve nothing because they volunteered for it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Leelu and Acred like this.
  11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

...yawn

No one is really getting "stuff", least its rather big no no to not take stuff outta hometown.
    Other than the skills there is nothing to worry about, and thats an issue thats coming to a resolution.

So yes, its a good project thats helped make $ decisions.
    Also I would go as far to say the ones helping with hometown are not people you really need to worry about harming the game economy...

HogwinHD and Acred like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Well...what if I want a monument instead? :rolleyes:

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Go back to sleep if your tired.

You really think that will wash with potential player....... devs give select people resources.... But don't worry there's no favouritism and they don't benefit..... Honest

PR disaster waiting to happen.

Errr very wrong. Get free stuff so you can level up lol

14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

A resolution has come like I said, from what Ive heard down the pipeline.

And I suppose they are "select" for a reason, trusted members of the community and what not. There are some genuine honest people in this world and this community. This is something Port wanted and we helped facilitate it, through the systems in place we gained skills. Should we have said no even though it would help the devs and the game we love? This game has been about building a strong community, player and dev side together.

Will there be a system in place for final wipe? Yes
    If you notice most of use that were involved have hinted at that we dont want to gain our final skills that way.
    I think what some are getting hung on is, "what has been" and "what will be" as far as defending what has been "rewarded" (read: effect of skill system in place). So lets all just hug and know we are all working to make the game better.

Acred likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If something was done by Portalarium that was to benefit a group of people post wipe then it it is highly doubtful I would continue to support the game. It is highly probably I would denounce the game and go out of my way to discourage others from getting involved.

I'm sure it wouldn't come to that though.

16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Have you considered helping? It's a community effort to get Hometown right, and in no way does it happen overnight.

kristof likes this.
  17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

thats why i yawned, this just seems rather silly tbh.
    Its just rather common sense, and the ones involved have plenty.
    This was not something overlooked prior to this thread just an fyi.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Firstly, I don't have the time as i'm working on other projects
    Secondly, I don't agree with with Hometown being a community project post-wipe and therefore if it turns out to be so I wouldn't want anything to do with it anyway.
    Thirdly, a community where members try to justify their demands for reward by making statements such as this:
    is a not a community I would want to be associated with.

mbomber and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

This.

20. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Also, is there a need for hometown after wipe? I always thought it was a way to help sell pledge packages. The pledges are expiring, so what is the point of hometown? I like the idea of people having to find the cool houses in game and go check out Duke So and So's keep. Anyway, my two cents that are worth less than a penny.

Edit: Axe Hometown and give everyone a Hometown Hero certificate signed by Lord British or whatever. Problem solved.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.