Hospitallers -- Players Helping Players

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Elgarion, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for posting these and linking me!

Elgarion and Grimace2 like this.
  2. Karamasha

Karamasha Avatar

How do i get permission from player built towns to place house and stuff?

Elgarion likes this.
  3. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

You need to request they place the home marker where you'd like it. Afterwards they need to set the lot as available to all, or just you. The second method is to make you Stewart so you can place it yourself, but that requires a lot of trust on the governor's part.

Elgarion likes this.
  4. Karamasha

Karamasha Avatar

I want this house so bad[​IMG]
    But as i understand i need to buy a water lot in store and then need permission from a town that has free water lots, or am i totally wrong?

Elgarion likes this.
  5. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@Karamasha Correct on all accounts but one. That is a village home, not a town home. Additionally, they sold that in the addon store (land version) once. Though it's now expired, you can likely find it from another player if you're willing to pay the markup, if there is one.

Elgarion likes this.
  6. Karamasha

Karamasha Avatar

Expired?
    How come it's still in the addon store then?
    i may have missunderstod what you said by the mention of a land version tho.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Elgarion likes this.
  7. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I was mistaken! I'm sorry, it's not expired.

Elgarion likes this.
  8. Karamasha

Karamasha Avatar

there's still no point in buying lot deed before i have permission from a town owner if i understand it correctly?:p

Elgarion likes this.
  9. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

@Karamasha In general POT owners WANT you to live in their town. You won't have trouble finding a place to call home. If you purchase a place anywhere deed, you won't have to worry about the POT owners, either.

That said, you're always welcome at Shadow's Rest :)

Elgarion likes this.
  10. Karamasha

Karamasha Avatar

But place anywhere deeds seems to be sold out?

Elgarion likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think there should be a way to leave a message for the town owner if you are interested in a town. You can always P.M. the town owner for the moment or whisper them from adding them to your friends list if you are interested in becoming a resident in a town. Most town owners welcome new people to their towns. I am Majoria in game if I can help and for now I'm the most active contact for Wizards Rest which I think is a lovely town. Of course I'm a bit biased ;)

Elgarion likes this.
  12. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

This seems to go against the spirit of supporting the game, but I highly recommend buying your land deed from another player. The raffle has dramatically reduced prices and it will save you a lot of money (which you can spend on the add-on store!)

The exception to this being water deeds, which aren't part of the raffle.
    The exception to this being the water deed

Elgarion and Numa like this.
  13. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hospitaller Meeting Minutes
    ALL ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!

12 February 2017, Sunday 11 Central Time

Discord Text Chat: https://discord.gg/RhXb7qp
    Discord Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/CRz8Bpn
    PaxLair TS3 Server: 43.245.163.15:10099

Main Topics:

• New Attendees:
      • No new attendees

• New Player Experiences:
      • Laz: not a whole lot of new player experiences of late
      • Elgarion: noticing more advanced questions in Hospitaller Discord chat
      • Ravalox: spending more time on QA
      • Themo: low population on QA server, Elgarion mentioned it's primarily more vet players doing bug testing. Has noticed a new group of people from Black Desert hopefuls, and left disappointed. And directed them to Minerva's town since its fairly active. Advertised the various Hospitallers in hopes they got in contact with folks. New players that Themo meets in his gaming group are concerned about the Steam reviews. Berek stated that the reviews are coming mostly from old players who haven't played the game in recent time or don't even have an hours worth of game time. Themo gets most of his contacts from new players he gets in response to his old help threads on the forums, either by email or forum messages. These guides are on Stratics and Steam as well. Themo's house was hit by lightning, and his hardware was ruined, hence his absence.
      • Elgarion said we can have break-out sessions from these meetings, where we form a team to review some of our guide threads and work together to update them with fresh guide information.

• In-Game Support Locations or Concepts or Events:
      • @Lazarus Long : long event weekend, no new events to report currently.

• Website/Out-of-Game Projects/Events:

• New Tech:
      • @Ravalox : got the bot ready for the Hospitaller meetings, now TS3 and Discord are talking again. He's still working on the bot so people can log in and out as Hospitallers (as well as other functions) on the Discord SotA Server. UPDATE: found good structured bot that's out there that he's emulating, which has excellent source code. He's modifying it for these purposes. First step, the Hospitaller !signon !signoff ability. That portion will be complete soon!
      • Rada: I had a private conversation in forums with a new player interested to buy one of my lot houses, but his knowledge about housing system was not clear and I saw some frustration on this topic with new players. I won't copy/paste the convo but I think I could share one of his comments with the purpose to share with others Hospitallers and take that feedback, if thats ok for you all @hospitallers. Yea it's just that he thinks the game is asking for all kinds of money in real life and that there is no vendor to just purchase the deed we sat waiting for him for over 2 hours in owls head bank, apparently we read some old info on that and we were wrong, but finding out we had to go to either the online store or a player to get this deed set him over the edge. I do not like the idea that I don't get the same chance everyone else got with my 40 dollar purchase simply because I found out about the game late and told him about it and so now I feel bad that I got him into something he feels he'll need to empy his wallet in order to play. Again UO was not like this. He used to sell people things not the other way around.
        • Kron replied: this link was very helpful to me when first starting to learn about housing https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-housing-primer.67073/
        • Berek brought up that the store needs some work to better educate the players on how housing works. Wondering if there could be a page on the site or wiki which helps categorize the craftable or purchase only items to help better educate people on the crossover between the concepts. Berek stated it should fully explain that essentially everything is available without cash transactions.
          • Elgarion stated it could also dispel pay to win rumors, since so many of these items have craftable versions in the game or its available for in-game gold.
        • Grimace: said that there are perceptions about Kickstarter and what should already be offered for the players makes the add-on store seem extra.
        • Elgarion: thinks a break-out session could be warranted about add-on store improvements, folks seem interested in thinking of ways to better inform new players before they purchase something.
      • Solazur: wants a way to find content in Hometown which are available on the add-on store.
      • Themo: wants a way to see the ghost image of each item in an add-on store, won't be placeable until its purchased, so they can get the feel for the size etc.

Round the Room:

• @Berek : Telethon is coming up! Looking for ideas for the telethon, let him know! Expect an in-game adventure tour :)
    • @Lazarus Long : good meeting
    • @Elgarion : great meeting!
    • @Ravalox : the SotABot is running now, and we should be able to do do the Hospitaller signon and signoff feature once the bot is transferred to this server. Will give all the source code to Portalarium so this loss will never happen again.
    • @Solazur : seeing a lot of new people, and worries about unanswered questions which take a while for Hospitallers to chime in. Be sure to tag them when you reply to them so they're notified they have a response.
    • @Stryker Sparhawk :
    • @Themo Lock : playing remotely, great meeting, will be back soon :)
    • @Grimace2 : great to be back after his break, trying to get up-to-date with all the changes, which are coming very fast! Looking for Hospitallers to correct his perceptions of the game due to the changes
    • @Rada Torment : nothing new to add, really focused on my guild atm due to all new players coming into the game. giving a headache to Themo Lock every week asking for permissions in Lockbrier (all our guild houses are there) :p
    • @Stryker Sparhawk : yay meeting! Likes the itemization concept for the add-on store.
    • @Winfield (just linking you for review)

Grimace2 and Acred like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Meeting for Sunday, Feb 19, beginning in 10 minutes (11 AM Central US) in the Shroud of the Avatar Discord voice/text channel.

Elgarion likes this.
  15. Elgarion

19 February 2017, Sunday 11 Central Time

Main Topics:

• Elgarion: no in-game encounters, finding most of his help history from Discord this week.
      • Temujin: been gone for a couple weeks, so from FRI/SAT
      • Elgarion: he's been selfish and been decorating his town :)
      • Justyn: been providing decoration services, has a steady stream of work for the Deco Divas project/team. Tends to get new folks wandering in while she decorates. Feels there's a lull in activity.
      • Justyn: has helped people improve their in-game radio stream quality as well as informed them about its presence through a PSA.
      • Lazarus: several people this week complaining about new player experience. Takes them forever to get into the world, confused about how to make their place in the world and start making a living.
      • Justyn: her son is a casual player (22yrs old) and needs constant help trying to learn the game. Since it's so different to other games, and that the game's interface isn't intuitive, it compounds the problem. Would her son ask someone else if she wasn't there to help him? Perhaps he would have already quit.
      • Grimace: I have talked to people who have seen videos and screenshots I've shared with them. They were intrigued. I told them the could play with me. They said they felt embarrassed playing online with others and not knowing how to control the avatar.
      • Rosemourne: noticed new players that have difficulty selling items, not realizing there is a sell tab. Elgarion added that player vendors do not buy items from other players if they don't have a buy order. Why can't they also buy vendor trash?
      • Temujin: folks having trouble trading, not realizing they can't in combat mode (for instance)

• Was not covered this meeting.

• Elgarion: Discord up-tick for helpers, lots of new faces helping folks in Discord.
      • Winfield: telethon ideas and support:
        • Justyn stated MOTD great way for contacting existing players about the Telethon
        • Winfield: thinks there should already be an ad up, stuck to the top of the SotA Page advertising the telethon, Elgarion added the idea of a countdown. There's a spring telethon banner at the top of the SotA page already.
        • Folks think the telethon should be rebranded to promote that the telethon is more about providing information to current and potential players, and less about a fundraiser, to get away the away from the idea its a money grab only. Names were suggested, Quarterly Festival was suggested. Make it more a festival, less of a fundraiser.
          • Laz: thinks they should sync up with the Starr's quarterly posts and information releases.

• New Tech:
      • Elgarion: suggested a training scene that allows new players and Hospitallers can use for training. Test nodes, test mobs, test interfaces of all varieties. Teleport there and back only and you can't keep any gear earned there.
      • Folks seemed interested in new slash commands.
      • Winfield: starter scene expanded discussion:
        • Lots of discussion about how the new player tutorial needs improvement.
        • Ravalox: said there's lots of changes coming to the tutorial, link to Dev+ discussion about the upcoming changes: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f.../release-39-post-draft-feedback-please.80196/
        • Winfield: can there be an instance designed just for learning and perhaps even advanced learning about the game. Like an advanced tutorial.
        • Justyn: we're up against an Xbox generation, they don't want to read to learn the game, they want videos or in-game prompts to teach them.
        • Elgarion: tutorials should teach you the basic mechanics of the interface. It should teach you your movement keys, attack features including optional settings (mouse look vs free cursor, auto-attack etc). Stated perhaps instead of a super complex tutorial, a link to an immersive tutorial video
        • Grimace stated @Stella Emily Moon had a very good new player experience to draw info from since she did not have prior MMO experience, she was very new to this type of game.
        • Grimace: suggested on Offline tutorial mode such as in Deus Ex, which simply teaches you the controls, THEN you go to the more immersive version of the game/starter scenes.
          • Elgarion: suggested if this instanced offline tutorial takes hold, make it repeatable.
          • Ravalox: suggested that the lady in the beginning can be sending you to these tutorial areas.

Round the Room:

• @Berek : liked the ideas presented today, lots for the weekly community sentiment report to the devs.
    • @Lazarus Long : lots of content coming our way, thinks the new player experience needs a bit more love than its been getting. Happy to be here.
    • @Elgarion : Elgarion suggested to @Berek, that a table should be present on the SotA site anywhere funding is mentioned that shows perhaps 10 common games, how much it cost to make them, and how many years it was under development. Here's a link to an example listing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_video_games_to_develop @Grimace2 mentioned it should also do things to express the frugality of the development team and the project as a whole. Also of note, tutorials should adjust to your current key bindings. Rav had reported this as a bug.
    • @scroda : (afk)
    • @Rosemourne : found the meeting very helpful.
    • @Justyn : (afk)
    • @Mykll : happy to be here, setting a calendar reminder for this meeting
    • @Temujin : noticed a lot of the same topics keep coming up, perhaps focusing on the new concerns/questions from new players and not rehash constantly the old topics we've already addressed to great length.
    • @Ravalox : great discussions, great meeting. GPU fried, been working that of late.
    • @Grimace2 : said it might be prudent to study other games and their community help projects as well as the in-game tutorials.
    • @Rada Torment : I have been a bit busy this last week doing some events and xp parties with guild mates. Great meetings and thank you all for keep this going every week.
    • @Stryker Sparhawk : yay meeting! Noticed that the Friday hangouts which are showing off the new tech. Noticed returning players are noticing a lot of changes when they return.
    • @Winfield: its crunch time! Looking for simple ideas and strategies to help out new players. There are face-to-face meeting opportunities in Austin coming up.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  16. Stella Moon

Stella Moon Avatar

Regarding the above, I have had a very positive new-player experience in that the community is very helpful, so it indoctrinated me into the genre of multiplayer on-line games. Any questions I had were answered, and I was provided guidance by my friend, @Grimace, who introduced me to this game, and @Justyn04 and others, who have continuously provided me with a wealth of information.

Initially, I had difficulty getting accustomed to moving my character around, experienced in only "point and click" type of games, but eventually grew accustomed to it. The next difficulty I had was getting around the world of New Brittania. That entailed learning how to read the map. It probably took me about 3-4 months to finally get my way around fairly well. Reading this forum has also been a great help, and a lot of trial and error while playing.

The best advice I can give to a new player is to not be intimidated to ask for help because this game is full of helpful players to tap for information, knowledge, and tips. That is how I was able to succeed and have come to love this game.

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

nimueCW, Elgarion, Winfield and 3 others like this.
  17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Woot! That's the spirit :)
    I remember the 1st time I logged in... in spite of having played various games over a span of years I was really challenged. Thankfully I stumbled onto the IRC chat. We may not have the biggest community but overall. we ARE a helpful lot.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

18. Elgarion

Great advice, Stella! And I've noticed in passing that your health is way higher than mine, so you're likely very much more adventurous ;) For those in need, this is a lady who's tackled many of the challenges of this world. An experienced Hospitaller indeed ;)

19. Elgarion

26 February 2017, Sunday 11 Central Time

Main Topics:

• New Attendees:

• Targeting conversation related to new player confusion about targeting:
        • Lazarus: doesn't like the melee targeting system where he cannot change his camera views in combat without changing the facing/targeting of his character and the new mandatory second reticle (not the blue healing one, it's a red cross) bothers him. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...stats-in-upper-left-corner.81456/#post-765680
        • Ravalox: seems to think it might be a bug for melee since he feels while in ranged combat it doesn't work in the way Laz is complaining about.
        • Elgarion: likes the targeting system as is, feels if you target something you and your character should be looking at it. Especially in PvP. Targeting any target in and direction when you're character isn't facing it (and hence cannot "see" it) simply doesn't make sense. Sure there might be some bugs, but Elgarion likes the intent. But agrees, all 3 attack types should have similar targeting mechanics, so if ranged works differently, it might be a bug.
        • Justyn: targeting LOS issues has bugs, as a healer, she has to be right in the middle of combat to properly heal, since if anything walks between her and the tank, the heal will go to the tank.
      • Justyn went to a birthday party in-game and the new player was really excited to see so much activity for an in-game party
      • Ravalox helped 3 people get started this past week in-game and had plenty of folks helped in Discord General and Hospitaller chat, same types of questions like stat questions
      • Temujin started writing down common questions in Discord
        • Where is the best place to hunt
        • How do I craft _______
        • How do I find stats

• no comments

• Iron Maiden auction still on-going

• New Tech:
      • Justyn: loves all the magic mover tech! She rearranged her town and it worked very well!

Round the Room:

• @Berek : (tagged in case you'd like to review)
    • @Lazarus Long : seeing an influx of new players, not too many interactions where players are having problems, happy to be hear!
    • @Elgarion : be sure to join up on Winfield's Meetup.com page for Shroud of the Avatar to promote real life meetings with SotA Players
    • @Justyn04 : has been pretty easy breezy of late -- yay meeting!
    • @Mykll : nothing to add
    • @Temujin : after last week's Hospitaller meeting, met up with Rosemourne to see Rose's new player support town, Shadow's Rest which is just SW of Skrekk. REALLY liked the project.
    • @Ravalox : nothing new, no updates
    • @Winfield: (tagged in case you'd like to review)

20. Elgarion

I cannot make today's meeting, so hopefully @Winfield will be there or someone else will step up to moderate and take the minutes :) Also, @Spoon couldn't make the meeting but wanted to bring up a topic. He has an idea for the skill system that he wanted discussed at the Hospitaller meeting--perhaps it might have new player ramifications in regards to simplification? Dunno. See you guys at the telethon!!! I can't wait!

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.