Housing and rent cost reductions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Real discussion, thanks!

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I'm curious... Real discussion as opposed to what/whom?

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The point of the post is to have real conversation about this topic with lots of points of views, my op was just a conversation starter.

I appreciate everyones contribution to this thread so far!

Vrunk Hrrk and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I own an (taxed) village pot deed.
    I do not used it because i found that 1000gp per day means i have to shelf everything else, spend practical my time i have in Sota with scrounging up coins to pay the tax (so where is the point in having the house i have no time using for whatever)

Then, row houses are where you can make at least a little revenue, IF you have the luck owning an vendor, village lots are not so much something that could possibly generate income, so houses exept row houses (if you have an vendor) are something that costs you lots.

Now i do often not have the time to play daily.

All in all houses are for people who have time to sink 3+hours daily into Sota and have the luck to have an vendor and or an plot in an area with people who come and buy the junk they offer.

Everything else is luxury only, and sucking up gold you need if you want to do more than whacking mobs. (like for fuels if you level an craft, or better gear or whatever)

I would rather pay lets say 10 euros per month for the right to place my village lot, but the way it is Sota becomes a daily chore, not desirable.

Games you have to play each day are theese one does not play daily, quick.

If i invest what i pay in gold daily for my village lot into my bank account i very soon have enough bank slots for my needs (and they stay, i do not need to pay daily to keep them)

I have the hunch that plenty of players have the same feelings regarding houses.

In other words, if they do not think about new ways how to make having an house desirable you soon find yourself in an very exclusive group of players having houses in pretty empty cities only populated by rowlots with an vendor in front, or in cities with only tax free lots in use, but not much "fresh blood" on an pretty empty server.

Because you know, most people have little problem with saving up to buy something, even if it is expensive, but few people love to have "daily rent bills" oe aby form of ticking clock forcing them to "do stuff", ten times so in an game they play for fun.

If it becomes an problem to travel in RL because house in Sota... they may even consider if they really need an house.

Houses certainly are for hardcore players, but even theese have limits.

Personally i would vote for taxed deeds an "either x ammount of gp PER WEEK ingame or lets say 10 bucks RL money per month to Porta.

That i would consider an fair compromise, and making the whole thing kinda more relaxed paced.

But as it is now i do not use my deed (i paid 100sumething RL dollars for (shop bought) and would not buy it a second time {the deed)

Well simply put, I think they will have to rethink the whole issue and do something or you can nail your tax free lot deed to the wall and use it for dart practice....

Greyhaven, Baratan and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As you can pre-pay taxes, the distinction evades me... 500igg per day is 3500igg per week, and you can pre-pay your taxes for a week at a time if that is your desire.

MFWalter and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  6. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I think the taxes are too high for the current loot levels. I am a casual player, I recently was gifted a taxed village lot and went from having a tax free home to enjoy, to having a taxed responsibility to maintain. I had to make sure I could afford the 1000gp a day for the village lot with my available play time before I even put it down. Now every time I log in, I have that 1000gp/day bill in the back of my mind. It makes the game a little less fun. I wouldn't want a larger taxed lot even if it were a gift. Having a tax free lot is the gift that keeps on giving as long as there is a tax, that is gold you don't have to spend that everyone with a taxed lot does.

In my mind there are two factors they can use to fix this:
    1. Better loot drops on average, especially for more difficult content (basic risk vs. reward)
    2. Lower the current tax rates to something more reasonable whether it is cutting taxes in half or making the current amount weekly instead of daily.
    Just for perspective on the content I have access to to pay for my lot, I am currently AL97

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really think the devs can figure it out. Hopefully they will bring back some castles and they will bring back player owned towns for the new lands that come in with epsisode 2. Many ways they can find and now hopefully we have learned so much more of what players like. There's so many fun things that can be included like cool boats, mounts etc if the boats and mounts are there.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  8. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Maybe we can have the option to turn-in Dirty Spoons, Rusty Mugs and whatnot as optional payment methods on the "pay taxes" screen :D

Or maybe that would just anger the Landlord AI and jack your taxes up even more, hah.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  9. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I would say it would be nice to see an inflation / deflation tied rent system. So if the game economy heats up the rent prices increase, if the game economy cools the rent goes down. I would also adjust the oracle payout levels to continue to match the weekly cost of a row lot. I think the cost increases(and decrease when applicable) are necessary as housing is a luxury and if we don't get rid of some gold in the system prices for everything else will just continue to increase as more and more gold gets into the system. We are going to pay more generally either way. Either we take the gold out of the system by paying through taxes which make the value of our gold and time increase or we pay more for all items we want to buy making it so we have to spend even more time getting gold or buying it.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its not really a matter of fairness if you buy tax free lots to not pay taxes and the still present taxes get reduced.

Its never a good idea to buy something to bypass anything in the game if you feel you’d be cheated if the part of the game you bypassed changed

Witcheypoo likes this.
  11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Exactly

12. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Please, please, please do not make the new row deeds TF. Reduce their tax maybe to like 250gp day or even 100gp day, but do not under any circumstances make them free. That would obliterate the housing market and worth of owning a home.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Anyone complaining about this?

Brugas likes this.
  14. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

He does tend to only read the titles and make comments simply based on titles without reading the posts. Sad but true.

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It happens all the time.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

True, within limits... If they removed the restriction on Open World PvP, revoking the protection of the Oracle globally, for example.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorry, I got this thread mixed up with the one about the free row lot deed.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

/whew i was confused for a min ;)

Barugon likes this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That would be awesome, we could have in game RP Protests! Wishlist for protest signs coming up. ;)

Bigg likes this.
  20. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

You've been able to enjoy a tax free lot for years. They owe you nothing.

Greyhaven likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.