How to get past the "Graphics Look Dated" issue in no time flat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@MrBlight I'm sorry, that doesn't look anywhere near as good as SotA.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That might explain a lot.

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While thats a unique opinion to have on the reason the graphics dont feel *up to par* with other games coming out a the same time, i will have to point out that you could quite literally use that argument to defend the graphics of any game. I dont feel SOTA goes above and beyond in .. well any field of gameplay, graphics, content or a broader spectrum than many other games. And i would counter the whole premise of your point by the sheer fact of Housing/decorations being so much nicer and detailed then the general texture of scenes and other aspects of the game. So i dont feel its *they are doing so much, so the tone of it all is lower, instead of a smaller amount of nicely detailed items * With saying thats.. almost exactly opposite. The housing/decorations are much nicer and well done, while the rest isnt. So i dont think i can agree with the claim they are on a broad spectrum. And certainly not comparing to other things.

Salix likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No argument. I don't think we are in disagreement on any of these points. It seems far more likely we are augmenting for a more accurate perspective. :)

MrBlight likes this.
  5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

[​IMG]
    @Vladamir Begemot
    Really? I thought it was pretty comparable in regards to the foliage and how the grass looks in a SS... And i think the background trees here look better then in the SS i took of a general overlook of the trees in SOTA.
    Although i was being lazy and grabbed a random example on my steam list of something i could think of with wide view of folliage lol..

And that being said.. i mean.. it SHOULD loose the comparison... as its over a decade old.

Cordelayne, Mykll and Salix like this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

i'm with you on this one. As an anime fan I see new anime with lots of animation & graphics flash but little story, plot or character development. The older ones are better in this regard. I'd like to see SOTA have the same deep game dynamics of older games. And we should be provided with more motivation to help the NPCs on quests but for that to happen we'd have to care about the NPCs themselves. If i give money to a beggar it should be about more than improving my Love virtue points. He should have a story & background that I'd care about.

I picked up a 2D platformer game yesterday on the Steam sale (Rainworld - highly recommended). It uses just a few cutscenes to make you care about your slugcat character whose been separated from his family and has to find his/her way home through a dangerous post-apocalyptic environment. These few scenes made me very careful about not getting him carelessly hurt or maimed during gameplay. My two cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I have heard about that game and it does show you that you can be absorbed in what is going on as much as what you see around you. It all depends on the moments. Like today I am hanging out in Wizards Rest playing music with a new friend and I looked up at the kobold street light and wow it was reflected a certain way so I saw a glass lamp inside of it in a way I had never noticed it. Lighting totally makes a scene. Also in Wizards Rest the scene was foggy and I was so immersed in the feel of it.

I think we will keep seeing dynamics like this but in the long run we must remember that for one thing due to static housing our game is overtaxed by all that it must load. We did not go with instanced housing so we pay the price for all the power this feature takes to run, but what do I know. There are probably just times when effects have to be turned down in a scene. I know nothing though. I am just thinking and speculating in my not an expert way ;)

MrBlight, Numa and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Housing is well developed because it can easily be had from the Unity Asset Store... if you surf around Steam Early Access for a while you'll find dozens of games that kinda-sorta look like SOTA, only because they also when with the patchwork "just use whatever we can buy from the store" design model. Greed was another MMO that looked a lot like a even lower budget SOTA before it went under.

It isn't that the graphics are old, plenty of old DOS games and NES titles still hold up today, it's that they do a worse job at creating an immersive world than both its contemporaries and games with a similar graphic style that are a decade old. It's a game where you can see the sweat modeled rolling of the brow of a statue, but every tree you cut down is identical and looks like a stick shoved through some randomly cut pieces of red paper.

MrBlight, Numa, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
  9. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

I'm not expecting top notch graphic from SotA, but yes, it does need some upgrade.

BUT, polishment FIRST!(e.g. Ardoris)

10. gordesky1

gordesky1 Avatar

Too me I think the graphics are fine. The way i always see it in games game play always should come first. And this is coming from a person that has a ryzen 1700 with a nvidia 1080:) That and optimizing should come first too cause even tho fps did go up with the new update it still really needs worked on.

But yea i had the game for about a month so far and loving it so far:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.