How/When are the virtues going to be added?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by BeachGolf, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

A r d o r i s. :) As in Ardor. Love, if you will.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

LOL

I think for every 1 time I get it right I mess it up 4 other times. Maybe when people start pronouncing Drocis (Drock-iss) right, I'll start saying Ardoris right. ;)

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I hope that each of the major plot points has at least a good and evil choice (akin to a Mass Effect or Dragon Age game) but that does complexity over 5 episodes carrying out consequences of tons of branching choices. And they don't have the budget of a Dragon Age or Mass Effect. But we'll see.

4. smack

smack Avatar

I asked the Oracle about my path to truth and she said I have shown a complete disdain for it. Lovely. I did kill Myron but lied to Myra, and I checked with the Oracle after that and she didn't mention anything. Since that time I haven't done anything else untruthful....well, I have "released" tons of rabbits, chickens, turkey, sheep from their mortal coil. :D

5. enderandrew

I've heard it speculated that looting the guard's bodies on the bridge in the tutorial is a truth loss, as is not answering honestly when people ask where you are from (presumably supposed to say Earth).

6. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I figured. I guess the Oracle has a thing for farm animals.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What I really don't want to see is a virtue wheel...no virtue wheel please.

8. enderandrew

majoria70 likes this.
  9. Jon Redbeard

Jon Redbeard Avatar

Lord British has his name, and if you notice Lord British was never mentioned again in UO Lore after he left.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There is no Ultima lore beyond Ultima IX as far as I'm concerned. So of course he isn't mentioned. :) EA doesn't respect the franchise or care about consistency or the vision behind the series. That was made painfully evident to me when they wrote a backstory for Exodus that claimed he was a machine from the future for UO2.

steanne, abj9562 and enderandrew like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

What a weird way to measure virtue.

1. NPC's are not real.
    2. Dead NPC's are not real.
    3. Dead NPC's with money, don't need money.
    4. What does taking money from a dead NPC have to do with Truth?
    5. Why do I need to tell NPC's the truth but I don't have to tell other players the truth?
    6. Why do I care what the Oracle thinks about anything?

:sigh:

Tahru likes this.
  12. enderandrew

I don't know it to be true, only speculated. It would perhaps make sense that I haven't lied to any NPCs but the Oracle said I was lacking in Truth.

As to why you care about what the Oracle thinks or not, she mentions that she will speak to you in the end. I suspect there is an accounting of the path you took through the game that somehow affects how you start Episode 2.

13. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, sorry enderandrew. I should've said why would my character care?

So I get transported to this "other world" and I meet these people and this machine thing called the Oracle. The Oracle talks to me like Yoda and I'm supposed to do what exactly? My point is that no rational person, based on what we know so far, is going to even fool around with the "Oracle" because there's no incentive to do that.

Even if you're the most virtuous person in New Britannia, no person IN CHARACTER is going to pay any attention to the voice box mumbling bad riddles OTHER THAN the fact that we know out of character that this is tied to the virtue system. It really hasn't been established yet why the Oracle is important to anything.

14. enderandrew

From what I gather, the Oracle is a person, centuries old (given the age of some of the ruins with her face). The Oracle Confirmatories are just machines that allow you to talk with her remotely, but you will eventually meet the actual Oracle and see her face to face.

One thing I like about the Oracle is that Spoony laid some really fair criticism on Lord British. Richard wanted an alter-ego of himself in the game, but to make each new game interesting his kingdom was always in trouble. And for the game to be challenging, he couldn't just give you all the magic weapons right off the bat. So Lord British is a poor leader and not very helpful to you.

In this game, Lord British isn't the main NPC. He invented a new abstract character.

Your character should make virtue decisions based on what they want to do in each circumstance. But I suspect we'll learn why you should care about the Oracle or not as we see the actual story.

15. Heskel

Heskel Avatar

At 3:16:43 during this recent stream richard started to talk about virtues

That whole hour of the stream they talked about the story and various other things like being able to redeem yourself and guards remembering you lied to them and it leading to certain npcs not wanting to interact with you

enderandrew likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

When that was asked of me, my answer was "job" simply because of lag and quick typing. I guess that makes me a liar! :>

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I will never answer "Earth" for if I did.. my character would be lying. :)

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  18. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I have that same problem Bowen.. its kinda unfair we cant choose to not be an outsider with the npc's i think the first time your asked that question it should trigger how the npcs respond to you. you dont know how much it bugs me when an npc say greetings out-lander... and i always think but my character isnt and out-lander.... :(

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This is an issue I have with any computer "RPG".. a certain role is thrust on you and no matter what the player chooses for themselves there's no way out of it. I'm a little disappointed that SotA is essentially doing this with PC backstory. It's a bit annoying but we'll just have to endure and realize that in many ways.. natives are idiots. :)

If the NPC doesn't know you personally then they should call you 'stranger'.. otherwise how do they know to recognize you as anything but a normal person?

I suppose an alternative would be to tell every NPC your name so they call you that instead.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

The premise of this game is that your character is you, transported from Earth.
    So, if you want to ignore that and make up a different backstory, that's fine. However, I don't think you can blame Richard and Tracy if what they have in mind doesn't match your preference.

enderandrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.