Is it me, or is it pay to win

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bornhald, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

There will always be plots to get. With ingame money. Not in the best locations (although the addition of land in the episodes opens new locations). The structure of the map allows flexible response to the real needs by adding new areas for housing. And its no longer 600$, the smallest tax free lots are now available for 275$.

And what is with these one time sales of certain ship models in SC last year? They brought also plenty of money and cannot be earned ingame unless you get them from players.

2. Bornhald

Bornhald Avatar

I might seem a bit offensive, but this is genuinely what is turning me down from "investing" in the game and giving me a general bad taste in my mouth!
    I do believe there are a lot of people who purchase a lot of plots now, so that when there are no more plots to be sold (it is a limited resource) they will sell it at inflated prices. It happened with LTI on SC and that was on something that has limited impact in the game also. A ship in SC with LTI is sold for 150% or more of the price of what you can get it in store without LTI! now imagine what will happen with lot prices when they can no longer be obtained from the webshop.

BillRoy, wagram and dp_dropout like this.
  3. Bornhald

Bornhald Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_52
    i beg to differ. There is a limited number of lots in the world, it is in their own FAQ

licemeat and wagram like this.
  4. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

That spot paid for the game to exist.

5. Julz

Julz Avatar

Are lots really a limited resource? At any given point in time they may be limited (you certainly want to know they won't become common before you spend thousands of dollars on one) but can't new towns, cities and lands be created out of thin air, some of these new areas may end being MORE desirable than existing areas. Anyone buying up plots now to make money is at best taking a massive gamble and at worst donating a great deal of funds towards developing game features we will all benefit from.

People who want to pay money for things in game will always be able to via the numerous companies selling gold or offering to level your character (unlike houses and tools the later really is pay to win). At least this way the money goes to the game and we all get to benefit from it.

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

New thread... No way! :p

NRaas, licemeat, Julz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gracekain

Gracekain Avatar

you just made my point.. thanks.

8. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Well I've already addressed your point to completion. thanks.

9. Gracekain

Gracekain Avatar

I don't think that Captain Jack Sparrow reads threads in their entirety, because if Captain Jack Sparrow did read threads in their entirety, then Captain Jack Sparrow would know that we are talking about two different things.

kiamzonm likes this.
  10. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Explain it, or tell me why my post is incorrect.

11. Gracekain

Gracekain Avatar

Seen what I did there? :D

I am not arguing weather or not you are correct, I doubt Portalarium would have raised as much money if things like Tax free lots, early lot placement, indestructible tools, tax free vendors, and everything else would have been offered.

Also i am curious, you do know that that is Michael Bolton in your avatar? :p

kiamzonm likes this.
  12. Sidorovich

Sidorovich Avatar

Well the way I see it. Map is pretty empty without player houses right? Good souls that pledge more money not only help with developement that way but they also become living-breathing NPCs...citizens, knights, lords. They will gonna be part of game world from very beginning. I think that´s pretty awesome ;) . But not in any way pay2win...

Im happy with my adventurer pledge. Gonna explore have an adventure...craft/buy/sell. House? One day...sure, but Im in no hurry to settle down :D .

Villaan, Lord Baldrith and Papa Woody like this.
  13. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Your comparing to entirely different games, which follow different concepts. They don't match.

In Star Citizen there is no player foothold, you own no house jut an instanced hangar where all your ships go. It's known that once your ship is destroyed you have to wait for a new one. Bam magically duplicate ships sold. Now you come out with variant models, bam more ships sold. If you've seen some of the hangars of people they have hundreds of ships and there are only 14 or so base ships.

You can't do that in SOTA. There is a finite amount of land based on the amount of time and resources available. You only need one house for cosmetic purposes. Add on items can only bring in a small fraction of the overall price. The game is trying to be developed, and as such they reward the backers who give a certain amount of money.

There is no pay to win in this game, as a revolving MMO that plans to continue to expand, there is no end game. Nothing sold helps me go pve or pvp, so I'm at no disadvantage. Your only paying for convenience. Spend more now to help develop the game and not have to worry about not being able to put an insane amount of time in for a house, now I can just enjoy the game. You don't need a house, but of course everyone wants a house. It's a convenience to you.

Too much pay to win talk nowadays. Everyone has a different definition of P2W and what they see as P2W. Most of these games got that tag from F2P games that give the ability to buy certain stuff to save time. Some are relatively mild while others are extreme. More games will continue to go this route, going to have to get use to it. Those with money who have little time to play games, but enjoy doing so will just find someone to do it for them or acquire the item in question. It's happened since the dawn of MMOs.

14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I like the way this person thinks.

The only way this game is P2W is if you consider winning starting off with a nice place to live, virtually speaking. Because that's the main advantage. Sure I have cosmetically special armor that I don't have to make or buy but past the first few levels it serves no useful purpose unless I or someone else enhances it.

15. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

When episode 2 adds more land there will be plenty of players with plenty of in-game cash to spend on plots. Same with Episodes 3, 4 and 5. There will be an existing player base who are making in-game cash and helping to fund the continued development of SotA. There is no such player base for Episode 1. The selling of lots to early backers is a substitute for an existing player base. Think of these people as having played Episode 0 and earned their plot, as players will earn plots in the further episodes.

Lord Baldrith and Roger36 like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

Being a pledger for both SC and SOTA, neither is play to win at this point.

In SC you NEED a ship to progress or even get around , in SOTA you don't need a house & lot to do the same and you can walk from place to place ( try doing that in deep space in SC). The nearest thing to an SC ship in SOTA is the house boat (still to come) but then again - you don't need a boat to get around.

The imperishable tools in SOTA are the same as the LTI flight suits, combat armor , UEE environmental overcoat, crossbow in SC. LTI means that no matter how often you destroy or lose these things, they always re-appear in your hangar. And yes, in the SC or SOTA PU (Persistent Universe) buying these things means you get the version that wears out.

TLDR : SOTA House is not equal to an SC Ship, LTI is LTI whether it's an imperishable tool in SOTA or an indestructible overcoat in SC. Neither is pay to win.

17. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

how is every game pay to win?
    I bought Tomb raider today and unless I CHOSE to buy expanded content for the game that's it, its paid for, I own it and will never have to pay again. I have a bookshelf full of games I OWN and will never pay again for. Even Diablo which was called pay to win because of the auction house wasn't really pay to win and even the little it was is gone, the auction house was shut down. So how are all games pay to win?

18. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

I have played Ultima games for the past 25+ years, so I "donated" a shed load of money because I wanted the game to be made! Simples;)

So I start off with a big house! but you could get the same house for free if you just buy the game and play!

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

Oh and btw :

[​IMG]

Star Citizen Idris frigate which was selling in 2013 for $1,000. Yes, you can earn it in game but you need a guild to realistically afford it and crew it ( anyone who thinks you can run this with NPC's is dreaming). If you think a castle in SOTA is pay to win then THIS is pay to win because this is a CASTLE with GUNS & MISSILES that can move throughout the SC universe.

But the reality is that a single player in SC does not need the Idris to progress and neither does a single SOTA player need a house & lot to do so.

Papa Woody, Kaisa, licemeat and 3 others like this.
  20. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

They can add new scenes whenever they want, why would there be a limited number?

I am backing SC, I can't afford a massive ship, someone else can, that is the definition of p2w because that persons ship will obliterate me, a house and/or a unbreakable sickle does not give a person an advantage over me except they have a bigger house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.