Is this real life, or is it fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Once again very true and on point. :) *claps*

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

A large sum of money that comes from where ? Hmm... thats right, sometimes its not a risk at all : its not a rhetoric question rather a moral question :) Can't generalize here...

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

And thats my point I've been hammering for the last two years. Both can be true, and you can have mitigating factors AND positively reinforcing factors :)

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I think if Ravicus wants a concensus then it might be easier to do a poll, ask two questions 1) how many are here for the fantasy and or fun, 2) how many are here to make money. Very easy solution without generalizations, testimony or mitigation.

5. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

This cant be the community who goes out of bounds on a rather neutral, fun post with a video to ensue his point. Its just for fun, why are you guys so worked up?

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Problem is... people who are in for money don't want to be perceived as meta-gamers. They often play white paw...

There is indeed yet no consensus about how to handle the situation, I have offered the only simple solution...

Kambrius likes this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

a poll on the forums is like tits on a boar. Worthless. Unless we can put the poll out to all the people that have accounts via email it is not a consensus, just those that choose to still follow a game forum after 3+ years that has no direction.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Money... and casualties, collateral damage...

It has... just the student has surpassed the master :p

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess I understand what you are saying here lol. What I was referring to is the continuing distancing from the kickstarter.

10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well remember how they were so happy they wouldn't have restrictions of a corporate nature, because they were free from EA ?

They didn't seem to get the clue even when Lum the Mad himself blew the whistle. I can understand not listening to my cry for mercy... but one of their own...

That is karma, and full tilt irony.

RMT restrictions of a corporate nature are much heavier...

I still think we should not turn the knife in the wound :p

If I put myself in their skin... ugh. Hurts right down to the soul.

11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

*Passes the shot glasses and the Spiced Rum bottle, then hands out Cohiba cigars* Here fellows, to good conversation even if it gets us worked up *grins*

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I feel my RL life was stolen for reading this thread. Someone needs to pay me for my time I wasted thinking this might go somewhere.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

maybe some charity will take you in. Portalarium is big on charity. If you can get above your fetal state maybe you can talk about what the OP addresses.

Kambrius likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Why does this bother you?

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

why don't you answer the op instead of ad homin?

16. mercster

mercster Avatar

I think it's because people feel a lack of control in their real lives. This is not a comment on anyone's personal life, just a general (and I think obvious) observation.

A lot of people want to exist and interact in a virtual world like this because it allows themselves a feeling of control and power that they lack in real lives. Most people have been taken advantage of in their real life, and some people are super sensitive to these things. So if they are taken advantage of in the virtual world (PvP, whatever), they feel emotionally hurt. They would much rather die at the hands of an NPC than even be flagged for PvP for an hour, because the idea of someone else having fun at their "expense" (though they are really no more affected than if an NPC killed them) is abhorrent.

This creates conflict with others in the game who do not have this emotional attachment. The people who treat this as just a game, when encountered with people who put actual emotional energy into their virtual lives, don't understand what the big deal is. And the emotionally sensitive people don't understand why the other group could be so callous (this is why PvP people are referred to as "gankers" and are referred to so negatively).

This is a problem in any multiplayer game, I would imagine.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I think you have many valid points here. I for one play a game to get immersed and not deal with real life issues. I would say the game needs to take this in consideration as it tries to balance these issues. I know many people rail against WoW. One thing wow did awesome at is the pvp battlegrounds. You never lost anything but you still participated on a faction force against another faction. You had storyline and motive. I look forward to something like this here as it would fit perfectly to fit what this player base wants.

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

To me, it isn't much about a person unable to distinguish between real life and virtual world. It has more to do with the attachment the person has for some entity whether it's something, someone, athletic team or political party, etc. The stronger attachment the person has to this entity, the stronger sense of being protective they will be. Think about the Walking Dead show now has some huge rating drops because Glen got hulk smashed. Or how people who watched Game of Thrones got very upset when their favorite characters died before times.

It is not that folks think they are really in Novia, it's just that they are very attached to their character in Novia.

19. meadmoon

meadmoon Avatar

Most likely you're right. I think it's the same thing at play in people who have to be in front of you on the highway, in a line, etc. The less control you have in your life, the more you use little things to simulate a false sense of control. In games it's leaderboards, server firsts, etc. even to the point of cheating or buying their way to the top.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well of course. I can think of D&D when I lost a character that was getting to a higher level. It was heartbreaking. At least in sota they are reborn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.