Is this real life, or is it fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I did not... I left prior to the Trammel/Felucca split. I did attempt to return some time after the split... but everything I'd built was in the wasteland that Felucca became... I had no desire to attempt to rebuild.
    No... I wasn't going to spend my entertainment dollar, or invest my entertainment time to be victimized for the entertainment of others.
    If I did, I wouldn't be here. At the first whiff of that changing, I will depart... liquidating as much of my considerable contribution to the development of the project as I can.
    So long as PvP remains consensual, I've no problem with those who enjoy that playstyle having their place in the world. In fact, I believe the world would be a lesser place without it.

ManaPlow and Womby like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Seriously? By your logic the victim should be sympathetic to the aggressor.. What sense does that make? If why is should be the other way around needs to be explained then I don't know what to say.

I've no idea how you got to this point from what I was saying..

So is flagging yourself for PvP.. but simply logging in to play is not consent to PvP.. so what's your point?

You're still missing the point.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Bowen... alot of people seem to be missing your points, maybe they are not so straightforward ?

And while you focus so much on our point coming through, you forget to actually get other people's points :p

You just gave him reason there Rufus :p you said that even in a protected environment, you had no desire to rebuild, so something ELSE was bothering you, like with Bowen *obvious*.

I mean how do you want a roleplayer murderer to actually roleplay ? Um hello sir, would you mind if I go about my business and actually attempt to kill you ?

As much as I despise stealth backstabbers, they still are part of a fantasy universe, its totally wrong and cheap, but people still can roleplay this.

Now back to my distinction (I love it when I introduce words on the forums and people start using them all over, while often ignoring me, its so mentally gratifying :p)...

NOONE is talking about forcing Bowen or Rufus into pvp, the game mechanics by their own admission dosen't support it, YET they are still ANNOYED about merely speaking about the issue. The bad guys actually won many times over, they still burst your bubble after all those years. By continuing on that pattern you actually let them win, and win, and win.

By ignoring the fact that UO systems were incomplete (especially the mitigating factors since hackers took over the game) you are again letting them win the bigger game. They actually got what they wanted : to make your life miserable and get a kick out of it.

An attitude I DO NOT condone, but there is no difference when a corporation comes and close all your friends local shops and he gets into depression because he was BULLIED out of his business. I get bullied everyday on the road, in the shops, trying to promote my business in events... the list is ENDLESS.

So why in a fantasy game where you come to escape real life, you are STILL bothered by the same type of issues ? It's completely different AND nor forced upon you, since you have nanny oracle new world order.

I personally would not play the game if I had the same sensitivity in the game than in real life, because there is no avoiding human nature. In fact I consider myself completely shielded from these rude people, they have 0 effect on me.

ON THE OTHER HAND : RMT has EVERY damning effect on me. @redfish you're on fire bro... lately ALL your posts reflect perfect logic and concise resolutions.

As you said, what important to me is how it affects my game play :

Put yourselves in my shoes for a moment, I play PvP, and my choice, and my playstyle makes me not want to play alone, even if it means certain death.

So I'll play hard instances even if I'm not high level and this means competitive spots where tons of the SO EVIL murderers and thieves and backstabbers have tremendous pleasure in ganking me.

After 12 months I FINALLY craft my first good sword, I now move to sell it on the market, being so proud of my creation.

Players that bought ressources for money can beat my price, players that crafter from SPO can beat my price (no competition on ressources or even risk).

I end up being one sucker NOONE cares about, I feel like my accomplishment means nothing.

Do you all see where I'm going with this and why I want my siege perilous ?

I can't "be myself" as long as the environement makes no sense to me, and it never has.

I will repeat myself time and time again : In UO I owned TONS of server birth rares, 3 accounts full of 7 gms, houses, seer items, unique quest items, bugged tiles etc...

I never really even cared to evaluate my fortune, I just know that for the young kid I was, it was a FORTUNE.

YET I cared so much about the original vision for UO that it was to me immoral to profit even one cent (condoning the RMT which destroyed my GAME).

I trashed it all, laid it on the ground and guarded the items as they decayed, then deleted all my characters, apart from the best and went on a RAMPAGE, killing over 4000 (no new players, no miners or crafters, just deep dungeon raiders) players in 3 months.

I would have continued, but a friend knew my bounty was worth over 2K in real money, and betrayed me, he invited 200+ players and their pets to a suposedly secure meeting spot, and they used this to lag me out (purely evil) because they knew I could track and had incredible intuition for those things and could not get me in their last 10 attempts.

They didn't even get my head, my other friend who I'd have trusted with my life even if I had never met him in person got it for me, and handed it to me freely.

Friendship like that you can't build in a game that HIDES the dark side.

Anyways, in those days one death for a murderer meant 15% stat loss, or MONTHS of staying logged in to wait for the counts to pass (good, very fun system).

So in fact my character was dead with 4000+ kills, I quit the game for a few years to then rejoin to play only on siege perilous (there I had a thief only in those days).

The only player that had more bounty than me was the infamous BOOM Tinkerer, who spread his deadly traps all over the world.

It was epic... I come back full circle to my main point :

I cannot roleplay or have any type of fun if RMT owns the world.

Siege was perfect, it was much harder yes, but there was no hackers, no trading from another server, it was a hermetically sealed environment that built the strongest community I've ever witnessed.

That to me is SO rude, I've gotten hundreds of such whiffs, and I'm still here because I did not INVEST in SOTA, I pledged allegiance to King Gariott.

And thats the main theme around here, people keep ignoring me while I answered the fabled : How else do you propose they make money ?

I answered this a hundred times I swear !

Make it the educational, deep, provoking, powerful game its supposed to be, and not a lazy designed money making machine.

Do the right thing.

Heed my words : money is going to be paid in the future for education and experience value. Not collector items and fluff.

This is the root of all ultima genius, and I know I'm not alone, I even feel confident to say :

We the people... do this in honor of King Gariott,

We formally request our siege perilous be returned to us.

its the path of compassion...

Kambrius and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Maybe that's because I'm focusing solely on the original question in the OP while other's seem to be going off on something else and trying to drag me into it.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I really get it, that it frustrates you, but if you bother to listen : the same issue bothers me, even more.

Stop time for an instant and look at the title of this thread, and then look at the OP, and tell me that my elephantine gripe with RMT has nothing to do with it.

We sure need to meet at the lowest common denominator... I guess...

They're just being politially correct, whereas I have no fear.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

When you're arguments seem to have nothing to do with what I said.. what other conclusion am I to reach but that you didn't get it? How for example did we get from the difference between being killed by an NPC vs a player.. to stealing flagging you for PvP? How is that an argument related to what I've been saying?

The only argument you've been trying to make that's relevant is "it's just pixels".. and that somehow it's the victim that needs to empathize with the PKer.. everything else has been going off on tangents.

Should I rest my case here? I've been talking about the difference between being killed by players vs NPCs.. that it's that you're interacting with real people.. and you're trying to drag me into a discussion about RMT suggesting it's somehow related..

This was the question I was addressing.. the remark about RMT was a compare and contrast with something he believed had a real life impact on players but was not part of the question itself. So, your elephantine gripe with RMT has nothing to do with the actual question that was asked. Just as it has nothing to do with my response to that question. Just as how you flag yourself for PvP and consenting for PvP has nothing to do with my response to the question..

7. JohnnyChimpo

JohnnyChimpo Avatar

What even is reality? We could all be in a turtle's dream floating in outer space.

mercster likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

That turtle is in my dream !

mercster likes this.
  9. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Was the turtle trying to PK you and how did that make you feel? Deep down?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. mercster

mercster Avatar

A fish is in my dreams...

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I asked questions of you as well, you chose to ignore them... fine then if your wish is to be divisive.

You focus on that one argument but the thread is much much deeper and I'm pretty sure everyone has an earful. I'm being ignored (lol), you have trouble getting some points across we all seem to already know(doublelol).

Don't know how to get across to you if you insist on being nearsighted on purpose, RMT has everything to do with how you roleplay and how you have a real fantasy environment. It's not a tangeant, its the root issue itself. Unless Ravicus edited the OP I am on topic and am merely asking for a deeper reply than "quickly lets blame the misfit".

Kambrius likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Like a shrimp shrink :D

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

This really is prophetic :

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... The fact that I would have HAD to rebuild, in Trammel, after having had all that I Had built destroyed.

I had worked very long and hard and devoted many many hours to building a house, and had the first multi-story house on Moonglow. I had no desire to put in that effort again, especially after I'd missed the Trammel land rush.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

sux2bu

16. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I actually had a dream where Richard and Starr were videoconferencing and suddenly Richard got very wide-eyed when he finally realized how to fix all the problems in the game. Then he fired Chris and told Starr that a mysterious backer is going to funnel in $50 million per year towards the development of each episode but with strict deadlines and expansion of the team.

Then I woke up and was like "Meh. Dream."

Kaisa, Ahuaeynjgkxs, Pickley and 2 others like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

No, I'm in the turtle's dream, and he's in my dream, so no ganking can take place. Its like a moebius strip. Us dreaming about each other is creating our mutual reality !

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. mercster

mercster Avatar

This topic makes me feel weird deep inside :|

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And which question was that?

How pray tell am I being divisive? All I'm doing is trying to stay on the topic *I* addressed. Is it too much to ask that if someone disagree with me that they do so without straying to other topics?

Did I not say in my first post that I skipped the whole conversation and was just responding to the original question? At what point did I inject myself into the rest of whatever conversation may be going on. Apart from a one comment disagreement that didn't go anywhere.. I have only responded to what was directly said to me.

Now who's being divisive?

Leaving any disagreement I may have with this statement aside.. it has nothing to do with what was asked. Just as RP has nothing to do with what was asked. The question pertained to the difference of being killed by a player vs an NPC. Not how either player RPs (or doesn't).. nor how that RP or game is influenced or not by RMT.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Having gone back and reviewed.. If you meant these..

I didn't ignore them. I simply said 'No' and explained why.. and that I had no idea what you were talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.