Is this real life, or is it fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well Bowen, I also asked other questions, but skipping over a lake like a rock isn't really trying to understand its depth.

When I don't understand a question I ask for clarifications... stone that skips dosen't amass moss...

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So basically, you're saying that it boils down to picksel value.

I built around 5 or 6 houses, each time it was more fun to build the house than having it... destroyed them myself an rebuilt from scratch with another character.

I guess you love doing things because you love the game, no ?

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That will make alot of people happy, nuhuh :p

4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea I guess that noone is being bullied against their will in real life, sure bowen, there is no relation between anything because when I log in this forum I put up my god mode.

Have any questions for me ? Ask the oracle... she's my manager...

*sigh*

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea I guess you decide what the scope of the thread is, and who asks the questions that need to be answered.

You're just jealous you didn't start the thread, because you got similar ideas floating about in that thick skull of yours.

Matter is settled...

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There is so much Me, myself, and I in these replies... I'm at a loss, sorry carry on.

I'm just a stray cat... miaou.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Those were the only ones you asked me.

I specifically stated first off that I skipped the conversation and was only answering the original question.. as it was asked. That should've been a clue that I wasn't trying to take part in the entire discussion for the whole thread and was only responding to the one thing.. By no means have I tried to dictate the scope of the thread.. by it's up to me to decide which topic or topics to involve myself in. Just because the topic evolved doesn't mean I can't respond to the original question.

Well that's utterly baseless.

You accused me of being divisive.. I simply asked how. But since you chose to respond the way you did.. I don't see any point in continuing. Everyone is free and welcome to arrive at their own conclusion.

8. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

You should move. :D

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Nah you don't get it, I was simply trying to get you to participate like you sometimes do, as equals and not nitpicking your favorite leverage point. People don't get your points for this reason alone, its not that you don't communicate properly, your writing is good, your social skills are good.

I tell ya this thread wasn't meant as a "pure focus" thread, its a general discussion, philosophic thread.

The following subject in line is definately, if its a fantasy, then NOBODY will mind a wipe for balance ? Right @Ravicus Domdred ?

:p

You assume people know alot of things about you Bowen, but they obviously don't... its like magical thought, while this thread is obviously very subjective in scope. Nobody felt threatened by you, much on the contrary, they've replied very well to your generalizations... It's up to you I guess if you like to perceive it that way.

10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

The difference is psychological no doubt. They know someone saw them fail, vs. a non-conscious computer record them fail. Two different types of people. As Chris Roberts says, the toughest NPC you'll ever come across is one with the best AI ever made, AKA, a real person. So some play games not to be challenged, but to relax, and to those players, it's not relaxing to fight against a real challenge, another human. I personally find it fun, with a game like SotA there are so many safeguards it's impossible to be in a risk area unless you 100% want to be. The safeguards removes the risk, the risk removes the challenge the challenge removes the reward, but this is their game, we are only visitors. No matter the number of these threads, I don't think they will change their mind.

Perhaps Episode I was always meant to be Trammel. Let's hope Episode II is Felucca.

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Indeed, see Sean, the game most basic rules support your choice, you have friends online, single player online which you can use to create your prefered fantasy, even multiplayer online does not force you to engage in pvp.

But can you put on blinders and not see it has an effect on "the realm" ? I don't think so, never seen blinders thick and swag enough :p

It's kind of funny that I advanced the same argument, but to me the fact that I can actually reply to that bullying is the ESSENCE of being a virtuous avatar.

In real like theres laws and conventions that prevent me from taking action and letting my instinct take over. I always give the other cheek, unless a friend is getting hurt then I turn into a flame breathing dragon. If I myself get hurt, then its a whole other story, I can take alot of hits before I even think about replying or defending myself.

I know that I don't know, thats what I go by, and I have no idea until I am faced with those mirrors.

In the game however, what I lose, isn't real, what I feel, isn't real. It's fantasy so I can die a thousand times and have no money to reequip, well thats just another reason to make new friends and ALOT in this community are willing to help freely, just so you keep on playing !

It's a fantastic theme park if you ask me, people are always on the lookout for people that need help AND you are being cared for by the omnipotent hard to justify roleplay wise mighty oracle.

I'm again sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the way meta gamers will ruin the immersion for pure crafters and artists has much more effect on your gameplay *ideal* than any number of wild barbarians. It might not be apparent at first glance, but its there nonetheless.

Not here to break your illusions however, just pass on the message so you know why so many of our purely social players have left because they felt unwelcome. It's easy to blame the misfits...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Can I add your name to the siege perilous ? +1 !!! :D

I'm sure Richard and others in the dev team would like more of Felucca and thats what upsets most people ; they fear that if they don't speak up against it we're going to sway the dev team to change their priorities.

They couldn't be further from the truth, even me, with my titanic ego, I don't think I will have ANY influence on near future gameplay.

All my feedback is about Siege Perilous and that ruleset and the time needed to realize it is not negligible. So it's only in hope that the devs will start digesting the information about it, and why it was so great and how it fits into a "spiritual successor".

And in truth the only reason I'm pounding on that is because of sheer admiration for the creators. I would have paid the price of my whole pledge to learn the lessons I learned thanks to Ultimas, and more.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Just can't take the NY out of me I guess! lol

14. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Well no wonder then! At least it's gotten 100x's better than in the 80's.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah.. I don't get it.. It's not nitpicking to expect people who disagree with your point.. or who comment on it.. to stay within the context that the point was made or to pay attention what was said (or not said).. and I obviously don't get where the "as equals" business is.

I think plenty of people get my points just fine.. It's not for you to say why someone else is or isn't getting it. At times it feels I could speculate that it's in part because they're fixated on a particular idea they don't want to let go of.. ie "it's just pixels on a screen" but it's just that.. speculation. Or it simply feels like they don't get it because they're too busy pushing their own idea that they don't acknowledge that they get it and just don't agree.. (which occasionally happens).. but if I can't say and they don't/can't say.. then it's not for you to say either.

Just what am I assuming people know about me I wonder? I tried to go out of my way to be specific in my first post so people wouldn't assume..

Lady Cind likes this.
  16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

ROFL....too true....

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

See how all you're talking about now is some meta-complaining about how the conversation is being conducted? This means you haven't communicated your points effectively and the whole "I don't wanna get ganked" argument is falling on deaf ears. I accurately described the emotional causes for this, and that's how it stands.

If I were you, I would focus on why your ideas for the game are beneficial to the community at large, instead of why it is detrimental to the emotional state of a subset of snowflakes.

Ravicus Domdred and Kambrius like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Or it means you haven't been listening.

Case in point.

Because you're able to speak for everyone's emotional state?

At what point were we (or I in the context of this thread) discussing any ideas and why they're good or "detrimental" to someone's emotional state? Which ideas where those again? I don't recall discussing anyone's ideas in this thread good or bad.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I get your point. I have no problem in the translation of it lol. I also get bowens point, but his point is to me just white knighting. I do not think he is capable of understanding the mentality of PvP. I like bowen, and I have had many discussions with him, I just think his thinking is of the lawful good and cannot understand any other way of thinking.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  20. mercster

mercster Avatar

I'm not gonna follow you down the path of arguing about the argument man. Your first post stated:
    So you're not concerned about what other people are saying, only making your point. You made your point and it was heard. If you don't care how it affects the thread overall or its implications for in-game, why are you complaining about people not "getting it"? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.