Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Levels are killing this game

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Do you think this is true? I would love to see top PvPers to be capped at level 50-55. See if they stay on the top. I simply don't believe that it is coincidence that all the top pvpers are level 75+.

So if we back away from our thinking(You know, the guys who are completely nuts over SotA), what normal, "I spent $50 on this game, love PvP, and gonna give shroud of the avatar a good one week try" person would play it? After floundering around killing wolves for a week, it gets tossed in the "well that wasnt fun" bin.

Now instead of arguing about it, we need to accept that as the truth and figure out a solution. I'm telling you guys at this point people aren't catching it. So what's the answer?

My suggestion is max everyone out in one of the next releases so we can at least get balance set. Both for PvP or PvE. That way we will know if it is levels or actual skill that makes someone good. Also, it would actually fall into that category of "testing", that crazy stuff that we are supposed to be doing in Pre-Alpha but still havent been able to balance systems with up to this point.

2. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

This. Totally agree. Except I was flagged PvP. My guildies left me far behind though. They are in the 70's but I have to go dance here and there with the social club so Im only 50's. I could never beat a single one of them 20 levels higher.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I have yet to hear anyone of the pvp peanut gallery ever agree this is a good idea. When I was in the combat scrum, not many people there wanted that to happen (even in testing). Siloed thinking creates siloed results.

I can't understand why we wouldn't do this during testing at least for normal combat balancing reasons. I know I feel confident that if I'm the same level as everyone else I'll do just fine in pvp.

4. June2

June2 Avatar

It's part of any PvP that you might encounter somebody who's simply better at the moment. Completely neglecting the idea of Leveling has nothing to do with being fair. Actually it would be anything else than fair if a newbie were to fight you and all your XP so far is worthless. If you don't want to level or real PvP at all, why bother with combat? To be honest, there is a far bigger gamer audience out there waiting for this game and to see you don't level just because some players simply don't want to lose a fight in PvP, the entire game will seem ridiculous. Maple Story will be harder than Shroud; all the work the programmers put into this, only to end up with a Roleplayer with an accessory sword? Oh my...

Couldn't have said it better

5. Drocis the Devious

First post, amazing.

So here's my question to you then. Why do you think people aren't pvping right now?

Mordecai likes this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

its only true for adv level, no longer true in general since each skill has a level heh. I am actually having fun with use based btw.

Gurney2, KuBaTRiZeS and E n v y like this.
  7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

It seems we're on the doo0rstep. Just need to refine it.

I like the idea of possibly putting something valuable in the Shardfalls and letting ppl max stats in that instance only. Let ppl try decks and skills. Data mine it to check balances. Plus it would be fun and give PvPers something to do. A lot of this discussion is basically talking about level burn because we get wiped. Really dont see how it could hurt. It would give everyone an idea of how PvP will function.

mbomber, Aldo, GreyMouser2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

hey thats a really good idea.

9. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

haha. It was Drocis'. About once every 3-6 months we agree on something. ;)

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

we asked for it ages ago for QA but never put it forward to do it in a live server area, would be nice if it was a thing.

11. June2

June2 Avatar

Are you judging on "first post"? I thought levels were unfair to you? :*

The game is undecided at this point. it hasn't really been carved into stone on what kind of game this will be in the end or so it seems. Also needs a firm decision on how hard beating opponents will be. Dear, if you were to quit decelerating PvP development like this (along with all the others that want SimsA instead of SotA), maybe it would become more enjoyable?
    Right now you have MMORPG, RPG, fanfic, sandbox, crafting, housing, pvp, single player and offline mode/story time. Looking at the kickstarter, this game was said to have even more interaction in an online world than Ultima. But all I'm seeing here, calls for a readymade game you'd buy in the stores to play all alone by yourself at home. They said SotA isn't an MMO per se, but it's a Multiplayer still. But thinking about where half of the players want to lead this game, it might as well end up to be a "second life simulator". Why not use Single Player and be happy then, I don't get it. If I were to just click around to talk to other people on the internet and tell them about my awesome house, I go on facebook, not sota.

12. Drocis the Devious

That's the point of the OP. I'm trying to make sure my POT has people actually playing in it. The way the combat system is now, it won't. They will be in single player mode avoiding risk, and trying to level up for the special day they can actually compete in pvp.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Here I am "fighting" PK Ghost many moons ago......notice how much levels counted for something then. He's naked and I'm not even touching him.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Here's me vs. Envy many moons ago....

Guess what level Envy was? About 70 something. I was level 13.

15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Sooooo???

Whats the solution we should try to take to the devs again?

Sara Dreygon and Ice Queen like this.
  16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

While i do agree with the premise, i can't see how losing a fight against a person who's 60 levels over you while putting a fight is a proof. The PK ghost one is hilarious though i'm pretty sure he has earth innates maxed etc etc so he's not that naked to begin with...

Arguing if a skilled player with a level 60 character should be able to beat a not-so-skilled player with a level 70 character seems reasonable, but a "level 13" player beating a "level 70" one... i'm sorry, but i hope that doesn't happen. One things is "levels matters too much" and other is "effort in game should be completely overlooked"

Themo Lock, Spoon and E n v y like this.
  17. June2

June2 Avatar

Why should anyone be envious of you? Is that a pun intended? lol
    Nobody here is spreading lies - it's simply very childish to think that owning something in the game makes your feedback more valuable. You talk PvP but say you rather care for a different type of playstyle, so what's the point? Owning PvP related stuff but not being down with PvP methods, how is that feedback?

Besides, if you want a safe zone (very usual for PvP games; a spot where you can't get attacked), why not recommend that to the creators instead of accusing people of jealousy and personally attacking you. It's nobody's fault you feel personally offended.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    Zassik Dreadmort and E n v y like this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

an arena where everybody is maxed out while inside maybe

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  19. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Time investment Real life example

2 Boys @ same size and strength and speed stand in front of each other in a karate tournament.
    The first Boy does karate since 3 years.
    The second Boy since 1 year.

The first boy wins the tournament.
    Wy he had over time build up more experience which leaded him to his win.

Time investment Shroud

A level 70 player who had invested more time and gained a lot of experience fights an level 15 guy.
    With out a doubt the level 70 player would win cous of his experience gained over month playing the game investing his time and get known his character and the ability in game.

Time investment Quake 3

In Quake 3 the one with the most expirience win. Aiming and reaktion is only a small part.
    Its allabout knowing the maps the timings ect.

This counts for every game, so your complain about levels isnt valid since its all comes down to time investment and effort.
    I work really hard each day and i also find my time to do stuff.

Level means progress, progress is needed to grow in a game.

Each has the right on his own opinion but i cant agree with yours iam sorry

mbomber, Gurney2, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Problem is you don't test the effect on PvM if restricted to an arena.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.