Looting

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Haldarthir, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haldarthir

Haldarthir Avatar

I would like to take a moment to discussing an important feature that often gets overlooked, looting. Often in MMOs, or games in general, you need to run up to your kills, double click on them, then decide what, if anything, to move into your inventory. If you are in a group, there is often some rolling system or some other method of determining who gets what. Using that sort of system for group loot distribution is no fun, and gets downright tedious if you are in a larger group trying to distribute raid loot using some sort of DKP system. It is not fun.

While Turbine has done some bad things with Lord of the Rings Online, the loot system they have recently created is excellent. Whenever you kill something, its loot automatically goes into a queue window, and you can deal with it when you feel like it. If you are in a group, each player gets their own loot automatically, there is no rolling on anything at all.

It makes looting a breeze and totally eliminates the need for using a DKP system. I would strongly ask the team consider an approach like this to get rid of any hassle with looting, and to avoid situations where some dumb person rolls on everything, even if it is something that binds to their character that they cannot use.

skinned and postulio like this.
  2. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Not to crazy about those games where you freeze in looting mode unable to even pan around to keep an eye out for trouble. Darkfall looting imo was awful, its not as multi-stepped as before, but still in a frozen window.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Never seen that but instanced loot like GW2 is a must. I never, ever want to see a NGP roll again. Even WoW is moving to loot being bound to any player with a tag.

skinned likes this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I really agree. One of the worst aspects of playing in groups, for me, is loot rolls; remove them and I'm way more prone to join groups.

5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Loot should go to the fastest looter. And if you loot a player you had no right to loot then it should flag you as criminal for some time, in UO it was a couple of minutes.
    It also added some thrill to the game.
    Manually looting is what i prefer, drag and release.

postulio likes this.
  6. PABS

PABS Avatar

I think loot should be different for everyone. That way, there won't be no unnecessary savagery. If you loot what no use to you but what I need just because you want to make more money, I will make an attempt to murder you because I don't like greedy people with no honor. There can be a skill for looting like Salvage, looking more carefully, which buffs the dropping chance of items individually.

Another alternative is loot rolls. "Second best alternative" lets say.

postulio likes this.
  7. lordrex

lordrex Avatar

open looting with flagging consequences is best.

if i loot your kill you can attack me without penalties.

if i loot a blue player, anyone can attack me without penalties.

if i was flagged when i died anyone can loot me without penalties.

etc etc...

anything else ruins the economy, removes risk, and weakens reward.

Espada, Thunderchunk and postulio like this.
  8. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Having loot go to the fastest player is an awful idea.

See: UO + 3rd party programs.

You ever have Dark Father's corpse get emptied in front of you before he hits the ground? It's not fun. What if you're a ranged player? By the time you run up to the corpse, it's empty.

If it's a free looting system, it opens the floodgates for griefers. You'll have zippy little thieves running around looting kills from ranged guys and then flailing off into the sunset.

In a game where everyone is RPing, it's pretty unfair to give things out to the fastest clickers. Your real world dexterity shouldn't impact your mighty hero's life in the slightest.

licemeat likes this.
  9. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

In a game where players have the option to play single player while still online, making loot go to the fastest clicker might have the unintended consequence of making players choose single player just to be sure the loot of everything they kill goes to them.

licemeat and skinned like this.
  10. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Maybe put a short timer on how fast your next item can be looted.
    That way it gives everyone a chance to get something.

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

@Arkhan - There were some players using loot scripts in UO and yes it was frustrating. It's up to the developers to find these cheaters wether it is speedhack, aimbot or loot cheats. It should never be a reason to not add some skills to the looting process.

Anywhere developers can add skills to the game it is very much welcome.

12. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Having looting skills added to the game seems pointless.

You've already used your skills to get to the loot. You shouldn't then need to be really, really expert level at grabbing a bag of money and a sword off of a corpse.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

@Arkhan - It's also realistic.

14. vjek

vjek Avatar

My preference would be for smart loot and auto-looting. That is, I would prefer never to roll against anyone for loot, have all loot that is wearable be useful to me at the moment of looting and have all loot automatically placed in my bags without a single click required.
    I want to play the game and enjoy my adventuring entertainment, not play a punitive looting mini-game. I do not want the SotA looting mechanic to be in any way realistic, tedious, time consuming, or "old school".

15. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

What is the big deal about having a loot system? it seems as if everybody wants things just handed to them with no risk whatsoever...

You guys that want everything spoon fed to you need to listen to silent strider
    In a game where players have the option to play single player while still online, making loot go to the fastest clicker might have the unintended consequence of making players choose single player just to be sure the loot of everything they kill goes to them.

Let's not ruin this game for all playstyles please. It's been how many years already?

licemeat likes this.
  16. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yeah. You should never compete with your own team for loot. Ever.

NGP = terrible.
    First to click or anything of the sort = terrible.
    Anything related to kill stealing = terrible.
    Trying to outdo your other teammates in any kind of minigame for loot = terrible.

If I'm competing with someone for loot, we should be flagged red to each other and be able to fight for it. Otherwise the only solution is invisible rolls and instanced loot for each player.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you can't trust the people in your party to divide loot equitably, you need to look more closely at whom you accept in your party. I see no need to complicate this.

Oskie likes this.
  18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

@Owain

You don't accept parties. It's all random PUGs of whomever is in the zone at the time.

19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

We can only carry so much, if we took all the loot automatically then were to full to walk.

20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

@PrimeRib, some of us don't even fight unless with people we know or out by ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.