1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot deed Raffle/Lottery update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Lol

Nothing quite like the feeling of entitlement to live off the back of others is there.

2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

You cant state, well u can state anything u like, but without knowing his background and how he accumulated that money its unfair to say you should be entitled to the same. Who knows, he may have taken on extra work, 6 hours every night after a full days work to afford the game. There's a lot of luck in life, there is also a lot of deserved benefit, without knowing full facts about someone and their history and stating that you should automatically have what others have, speaks of a 'poor me attitude' and generally those kind of people i find want something for nothing....Not casting aspersions at you as for all i know, you did all those extra hours to afford the game, but lost it all walking down the street one night... maybe....

3. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

+1

cartodude and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  4. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I don't see what the big deal is with this, and I have invested a few thousand myself.
    As someone said earlier in this thread there are around 53,000 unlanded players, so even if all players were to claim their free ticket, and nobody else buys a single additional ticket (which is very unlikely), each players probability of winning with a free ticket is only a meagre 0.011194%...

If it goes the other way and only 1000 claim their free ticket, and another 1000 tickets are sold in game, the probability of a single player with a free ticket winning is still only 0.1153815%, bit of a stretch of the imagination to call that a slap in the face IMO o_O

Edit: those odds presume the free tickets apply to the POT deed raffle, if they turn out to be place anywhere tickets, the odds are even worse...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

"I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work , the luckier I get" - Thomas Jefferson. :D

6. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

"I am a great believer in luck. The harder I grind, the more Tickets I buy, the luckier I get" -
    Random SotA Raffle Participant

7. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Double like!!!

8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

They will get 1 of each type. No biggie.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Ok, so to make it clear, I was not being serious. I was trying to make a point that not everyone has the same benefits. Not everyone has the same opportunities. I think using how much you paid is a poor argument for anything. Someone who using "I dropped 9k" on this game in an argument is exercising the same type of entitlement attitude.

I think Bow Vale does a good job stating how much luck has to do with it.

In short, it's not a big deal. A lot of people will not log in to get their free ticket. A lot of those people will not win. And those that do win may not even be able to afford it right now. They'll either sell them or hold onto them for later.

It's not really going to affect those of you who dropped several k for whatever it is that you got at that level.

Sean Silverfoot and Bow Vale like this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

So....... when's the draw? :D

Sara Dreygon and Duke Avery like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Server is down so it should be already a done deed (pun)... But making that announcement will take time for someone - just formatting a list of 675 names etc is a daunting task.
    So don't expect the update about it too soon.

12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I know right... the cut and paste action alone could cause carpal tunnel.

13. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I thought they said you'd see the deed in your bank if you won once r34 was live... but the list might not appear until Friday.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

Yet in this case if a ticket that hasn't been picked has a much different probability of being picked on first draw vs last. It is not the same situation as the coin.

Anyways. Chris' math is correct and any one can see why it works by just imagining a simpler lottery

4 draws
    11 tickets
    3 for for you which we call A,B,C

4/11 chance each ticket would be drawn in the lottery

chance only A wins (Chance of A * not B winning * not C winning)
    (4/11)(1-4/11)(1-4/11)=0.1472577
    Chance only 1 ticket of (ie either only A only B or only C) wins (0.1472577 *3)=0.4417731

Chance A & B wins
    (4/11)(4/11)(1-4/11)= 0.08414726
    Chance A&B or B &C or A & C wins =.0839*3=0.2524418

Chance AB&C wins

(4/11)(4/11)(4/11)=0.04808415

Chance not winning =1-(0.4417731+0.2524418+0.0480841)=0.257701

Wins Chance
    0 0.257701 = 0
    1 0.4417731 = 0.4417731
    2 0.2524418 = 0.5048836
    3 0.04808415 = 0.1442525
    = 1.090909 wins on average (you may win 0 or 2 or 3, but on average (or as Chris is calling even odds) you will get about 1)

But I simply could have done
    draws/numbertickets*yourTickets
    4/11 *3 = 1.090909

Or in Chris' case

600/2606*4.34=1

Well, he probably just did 2606/600 to get 4.34

EDIT: Of course the number in Chirs' case will change as the number of tickets sold increases

Nx_ likes this.
  15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

would love to see the final number of tickets sold and a graph/timeline showing when they were bought :) i think chris caused quite a few to jump in :p

Sara Dreygon and moko like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Even with cut-n-paste the formatting of a table is different in these forums, on STEAM and on the SotA main site, enough so that dallas has been follicly challenged for a while now.

Yea, but that wasn't from the dev who does the db stuff, who instead said it might take a day or two the first time depending on how the tech works out. Given that it is their first time I hope there are some manual steps so that they can detect potential issues while the server is offline.

Duke Avery, nonaware and cartodude like this.
  17. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

haha you and me both!

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I just realized when I get home from work I'll be able to login and find out if I won any deeds... too stressful lol

MrBlight, moko, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  19. Toff

Toff Avatar

What's really going to bother the "poor me, can't I have what he has for free?" attitudes out there is this fact.... some of us "Rich Folks" have multiple accounts, some of my accounts do not own property nor do they have deeds in the bank. So those accounts will get FREE tickets. Point being.....some of us rich guys are getting free chances at lot deeds anyway. Chew on that one "have nots"

20. Lord Lew

Lord Lew Avatar

are we sure that the ticket will auto turn into a deed if won? Or do we have to wait till Friday to see the winners list and then turn in our tickts to get the deed????

Chris's initial post made it seem that it would be instant, but then he questioned himself and left that little safety net of I hope in there..

can we get an answer from a DEV (@Chris @DarkStarr ) if the lot deeds have been distributed to the winners.. and if so, can I place my raffle ticket as a deco on a table in my house?

Pepsy, Sir Grant, cartodude and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.