Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Magery Spells Completely Broken Not Working Do Not Waste Your Time Leveling Magery Skills

Discussion in 'Release 21 Feedback' started by Stealthy, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

If you are thinking about grinding to become a mage let me save you the pain now! Do not waste your
    time leveling these skills. I have spent all day and night since Thursday leveling these spells to over
    100 each and they do 0 damage in PVP. I wasted 20,000,000+ XP points that were in my reserve from the last release.

(which took me 30 days to level and grind and then it was wiped the next day!)

I have been waiting for the repair patch or an update to fix the broken spells

My charictor is ruined for this release and there is no way to reverse the point gains. I am not sure if the devs
    just didnt apply the correct balance or they did it on purpose to encourage us to play other builds such as
    archery and swords but if thats the case they could have told us instead of allowing us to waste our time, XP points and
    ruin our builds.

Maybe we would have a chance in PVP if these magic spells did any damage but they do 0! The entire magery build and spell
    trees have been nerfed! The only spell that does work is firey decay but does very little damage in PVP.

I have played SOTA everyday since r11 and I enjoy playing 1 category a mage! That is all and now the mage has been
    depleated and destroyed! Looks like I will have to wait for the next wipe to enjoy anymore SOTA gameplay this is a
    major dissapointment. This is the absolute worse thing that could have happen to me in SOTA.

Spells that do not work!
    Death Touch does 0 damage in PVP and little dmg in PVE
    Death Ray does 0 damage in PVP and little dmg in PVE
    Flame Fist does not stick and does 0 damage in PVP and very little in PVE
    Ice fist does 0 damage in PVP and very little in PVE
    Fire Arrow does 1 - 4 damage ( level 104 ) in PVP and very little in PVE
    Ice Arrow does 0 damage (level 103 ) in PVP and very little in PVE

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I went mage this release, so did Turin and a few other friends who were great pvpers over the last several releases. Everyone who went mage with me has now temporarily quit the game and I am about to do the same. We trained our skills as we always had and noticed that in this patch everything was changed so drastically that we had made a mistake.

Unfortunately there is no way to untrain skills or undo mistakes, so we have nothing left to do but create another account or wait for you guys to implement the untrain function.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh well, guess it has something to do with this being an alpha and all.

Solazur and AviarAmidar like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok do not get too offended , but have you gain any adventurer levels or have you just trained on a Gust Ball I am starting to see SOME correlation y to my Adv Level and the Dmg I am doing (this is as it should be since you will NOT be able to get the points w/o Adv in the future)

I raised ALOT of archery and other spells (no where near 100s) on targets that could not fight back and have only 7 Adv???

FrostII and whitewitch like this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I've gotten the feeling that Adventurer Level is still an important part of various combat calculations. (In fact, I recall one of the devs showing a formula which said as much.) The wipe set us all to AL 1, and now that I'm in the high 20s I'm finally able to do okay against the WVS skeletons, even when a second one joins in.

So it might be helpful if you said what your AL and various glyph skill levels were. Then we (and the devs) might be able to figure out what's broken and why.

AviarAmidar and whitewitch like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Actually i am doing quite good in PvE with a fire/ice combo.
    Leveling so far was, to my big surprise, much easier than with my sword/shield combo last release.

Doom Angel and whitewitch like this.
  7. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

I am adventure level 46

8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

hum breaks that theory :)

9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

It seems our adventure level only kicks in when we're hitting monsters high above our level. Link to the post. It seems magic is just broken.

10. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I am only adventurer level 1o (but apparently still have a lot of my 3.5 million xp from last release to burn through...), but I 've noticed that even with archery and mage skills at roughly the same skill levels (30's and 40's), archery is much more powerful than magery :eek: Quite a change from any of the prior releases :(

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

I was hoping that when I get a decent amount of play time in and can raise my adventurer level, it will make a big difference in terms of damage output, but based on these comments, sadly that does not appear to be the case :( I guess Chris needs to take a closer look at the combat math ;)

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Funny you say that, cause I have been having an extremely hard time lvl'ing my archer.... due to focus drain A lot when I use my archery skills, so I run out too fast, due to it takes tons of arrows to take down a mob, and due to Arrows are heavy so I can't carry that much, more like 100 at a time .... (and it takes tons to take a mob down) And the arrow retrieve thingy goes up VERY SLOWLY and recovers very little if nothing at all at the beginning ... Archers are not OP it's just your char sux and or is broken.... Had to kill poor lil deers and bunny rabbits at first, I see them in my dreams running from me when all I want to do is pet them :oops:. So it's not that archers are OP compared to mages, it's cause MAGES ARE BROKEN accordingly to you .... So they need to fix the MAge and the Archer ... we have issues too ...

13. agra

agra Avatar

Well that's unfortunate, for those of us testing the game for the first time, and trying to only use magic. :(

Gurney2 and whitewitch like this.
  14. Gabriel Nightshadow

Well, I had to kill a lot of poor bunnies, sheep, and reindeer too for most of my limited playing time this past weekend :confused:, but now that my archery skills are semi-decent (after spending a fortune on about 8,000 arrows - carrying roughly 400-500 in my inventory each time :(), at least I can now take down a large grey wolf or two (but three or more still kill me :eek:) ...and yes, mages are MOST DEFINITELY broken in this release o_O

Chatele and whitewitch like this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

What's your intelligence at?

In previous releases people had grown accustomed to having 60-70 intelligence and doing ltos of unavoidable amgic damage. Now intelligence is trickier to get and there are ways to avoid magic damage (like shield blocks and Dodge)

Doom Angel and whitewitch like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I have 60 Int (as in paperdoll.......90 points in int) and I do around 10 damage with an ice/fire arrow if I'm lucky. Magery is very broken right now.

EDIT: Thats around 10 damage to a wolf spider/wolf.

17. Stealthy

Stealthy Avatar

I have 81 int and yes it is broken. However if you havent noticed all melee combat skills have not be working for a long time. Now they are working so it seems that maybe this is happening in this order for alpha testing:
    Magery was overpowered to test and refine the magic system. Now they turned magery down and overpowered the archery system in r20 for testing. Now in r21 they have added combat swords etc to test that seems pretty balanced. I understand the devs need to get the game working properly for E1 but to completely nerf the mage so we have 0 chance in PVP is pretty extreme and again I prefer to play a mage so it destroys my testing 100%

18. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I have really high stats and skills. I am quickly approaching level 50. I was level 66 last release so I had a ton of points.

Envy is a credible source, he seems to be in the same boat as White Witch and I.

Long story short I am trying to test different aspects of the game. Right now I have found magery is broken and I am at a dead end. I can not continue testing other aspects of this patch until I can untrain magery. There is no option to untrain any trained skills.

Certainly I would like to see magery fixed, but one thing at a time. It would be nice to have skills able to be untrained IMMEDIATELY so we can continue testing. A lot of the things Chaos Witch and I test are immediately communicated to hundreds of members of the community that then post their results on this forum, thus ensuring a great gaming experience for everyone.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

For these tests the ability to "untrain" a skill seem viable BUT this CANNOT be allowed live since all players will do is go out and train up skills in the fastest skill avail and then move those points without "training" buy just hitting a gust ball of like I have practiced shooting at but not killing targerts.

THEY CANNOT HAVE THE ABLITY TO TURN SILLS DOWN IN THE LIVE GAME

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

WOW how can u carry that much? and still be able to get harvestables to craft and not get bogged down? You wearing cloth? Did you main train str? What's yer secret me pretties, I wants to know :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.