1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

When you say " stuff that could have a literal history of monster slaying " mean like if i crafted a sword and sold it to a warrior that went out and killed 100 ogres with it and died to the 101 ogre than that sword has a possibility of being looted by other player with a "damage bonus in killing ogres" ? as a Ogre Slayer sword ? Or just history of how many monsters it slayed ?
    Not sure if this issue was spoken before but reading this post it crossed my mind ...

Even if its only "mythical" and has no damage bonus im sure the next warrior wielding that sword will have a morale boost if a ogre shows on his way !!

2. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

I totaly agree, hate when games get item based and not skill based.

Looking back at UO game was alot more balanced in pvp and pve when only had regular/ GM weapons and magic ruin, might, force, power and vanq. With expansions game got item based and people rely in massive equipment over gameplaying skill.

3. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They said before that slaying a # of things might give you various titles based on how many you've slain. They said that they don't want to make it power related though, so I would expect the same would be true of items. So it might earn a name based on what you've killed with it, the thrull hammer, the goblin cleaver etc, but no actual bonus. The only way to enhance an item after you craft it is through alchemy as far as we know. Anything could happen or change. But I'd prefer that they not involve # of things killed to increases of power. It becomes very grindy.

Isaiah and Morghanu like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Great thread on weapon titles here. I think both you and the weapon will earn the title if achievements are implemented, but I suggested in the other thread that it should be given at like 1000 or even 10000 kills. 100 kills is far too low of a number to have any meaningful title on the weapon.

5. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That assumes combat is really easy. Killing 100 things which could have killed you might be a major accomplishment.

rild, Mishri and Margard like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

For personal achievements, they could stagger it and have multiple titles. But for the weapon achievement, I think it needs to be much higher.

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

10,000 kills - would your weapon make it that far with breakage system in place? What would be the point of finally getting the title right in time for retiring the sword

Mishri likes this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I hadn't heard of item breakage, but increasing repair costs(which they said during kickstarter) would make that a very expensive weapon to keep in shape for use, let alone reach that goal.

Isaiah and smack like this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

and probably a higher skilled crafter to fix it.

Time Lord and smack like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

10000 was just some artificially high number to swing the titles more towards the higher end of thinking than lower end of say, 100.

And that would be the point.

Bingo.

Margard likes this.
  11. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

When i said 100 i meant like a example... could have typed 1mil , i was just asking if the idea was giving power to it or just fame ! ;)

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nobody mentioned damage bonuses. At least not the dev team. I proposed a damage bonus a few pages back. I personally believe that these items should be of extremely high quality before they can earn a title anyway.

However I offered the idea of these items doing extra damage, because there were a type of slayer item in UO that did double damage to a single creature type. Also silver items did double damage to undead. So I offered it out there.

Like Owain says (and I agree) that the love of gear ruins online games. However I do think there should be room for mystical items imbued with magical properties. (What kind of fantasy role playing game doesn't have magic items). However let's not let there be ever increasing tiers of gear that's all.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Exactly. I'm sure there will be some maximum resources to repair at some point. It doesn't make sense that it takes more resources to repair it than craft it. However having a legendary title gives many of us a good reason to keep that item around. I might not throw out my weapon if it has a cool title it might have sentimental value and I would rather repair it regardless the cost.

That's also why I think they shouldn't stop at 100 kills. Let the title become even better after it slays 500 or 1000, or instead of gaining a greater title after 100kills maybe the title can change with age too.

So you have the sword of orc slaying (100kills), but you've also had it for 1 year so it might get an enhanced title like "the Legendary".... or even better they could allow us to name the sword.

Seon likes this.
  14. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Like Owain says (and I agree) that the love of gear ruins online games. However I do think there should be room for mystical items imbued with magical properties. (What kind of fantasy role playing game doesn't have magic items). However let's not let there be ever increasing tiers of gear that's all.

For sure, I'd rather see the avatar being the skilled one not the weapon. And I also agree there has to be special/magical weapons it wouldn't be any good without them. Just leave it at the basics though like UO was, I don't want to see anyone walking around with a sword of kill all and be unstoppable.

Morghanu and Isaiah like this.
  15. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Weapon Affinity is supposed to be in the game too. We don't have a lot of details on it, Bzus was the original designer. But it sounds like increased damage the longer you use a weapon, so there is also more incentive to continue using a weapon long after it costs more to repair than it originally cost (if that happens). Whether the additional damage is from reduced missing, or if there will be increased parry or what we don't know.

16. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

17. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

Exactly I don't want to see that, maybe a bit of magical properties but I don't want to read an essay about it either! I know it would be so hard to do but I'd really enjoy seeing a few mythical types of weapons/armour/items like just for example Excalibur. But I understand as soon as there's GM smiths they'd be pumping them out in there hundreds as well.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Early UO always had their fancy gear people coveted, rare items, black sandals, blue sandals, glacial staffs, when did that red bone armor come out? sometime in like 2000 I think, rare dropped off of efreets. Then the non-cosmetics, I remember vanquishing and invulnerable items being really expensive. Then there was that green studded armor. Without those things to try to find and shoot for many people (including myself) would have grown bored very quickly with the game.

19. AlchemistikO

AlchemistikO Avatar

That sounds out of control sick.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

that green studded armor was ranger armor. It came in pieces just like our founder armor does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.