Message of the Day ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minerva, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I love that we currently have the Portalarium Message of the Day when we log into the game. I know there has been discussion of Guild Message of the Day, is there any chance this is coming soon. (Hopefully soon)

Also, how hard would it be to have a message of the TOWN pop up when you log into a town? This would be great for Owners to communicate with residences and guests, especially for events.

I am sure there are many other ways this messaging tool could be used effectively. Ideas, comments community?

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Would be great to have noticeboards so town owners can post notices, instead of doing everything through the chat box.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I was thinking of something exactly like this last night - a jobs board, or a wall that people can post pieces of paper on with job listings or whatever... lost dog flyers... party invites... if Governors could have hot spots like this - it would create so much movement on the overworld map and in POTs... it would be incredible.

It could even be something that only works on City lot properties; this gives guild houses everywhere a chance to post job boards.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i find the messages of the day pretty intrusive, actually. i'd like them to be limited to literally once an earth day unless there's an emergency.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

- Jobs
    - Guild events
    - Shop advertisements
    Etc.

Its a hugely important feature.

Personally I think MOTD should be limited to technical information the devs need to give us. All RP stuff should be through RP mechanics, imo.

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

ohh yeah... linking the messages to a chat checkbox solely dedicated to player announcements might be necessary... it's not hard to imagine people being idiots with this feature.

Also, a built in clickable report button at the end of all messages generated by players may be necessary.

Celthon, DuKe NuKeM and Time Lord like this.
  8. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

We actually tested this in Paxlair a number of months back, when paper first came out. There were a few things that worked well but then other things that sort of did not work out well.

People have to physically go and look there, and as such they need to know where that is. This sounds like it should be easy but it was not as simple as we thought it would be.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, but noticeboards would be a staple in the game and something people would look for. Plus, if you're talking about notices to residents or guild members, once we have a player mail system, you could also send out flyers to mailing lists.

10. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I agree completely with the flyers for the mail system and have asked for that also. I personally would love to see a "New Paper" That is an item that you click on and it would open an interface that has MOTD from Port, and Guild Messages and Town messages and Regional messages. This could be a something that people can choose which topics they want to view when they click that item "News Paper'" I hope one day we have that! BUT, in the short term, since the devs are so busy using there time on other priorities, this could work.

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Time Lord Approves of this Idea~
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

12. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

There are several different types of "message" methods we can use for our towns and guilds. I think there are some that are "simple" and others that require some more "complex" programming / screens / items.

MOTD = Message of the Day

SIMPLE:

Text chat line command, just like an MOTD that is done in IRC Channels by channel admins:

Examples of MOTDs set by a player with proper permissions:

For all people entering a POT (notice the command is potv (for pot visitor).
    /motd potv, paxlair, Welcome to PaxLair. We have two events today: Town meeting at 7 PM CDT and Fishing at 8 PM CDT (Sunday).
    /motd potv, paxlair, Welcome to PaxLair. If you have any questions about PaxLair City, please reach Sean Silverfoot at the town hall.​

For all residents of a POT (notice the command is potr (for pot resident).
    /motd potr, paxlair, Attention all PaxLair residents - your taxes are due on August 15. See Sean Silverfoot if you need a tax extension or want to revolt.​

For all guild members of a guild:
    /motd guild, pax et veritas, Come to the guildhall sometime and drop off your books for the next library publication by Wednesday. Don't be late, or your book won't get published!​

Permissions to edit the MOTD for POT or Guild:

When the command is given by a player in the chat text box, the server could check the data base to see if the player (e.g., Winfield) is a POT owner/steward of that town (PaxLair) - same for the guild (leader / officer).

Effect:

When people enter PaxLair POT, they get the message of the day for PaxLair in their chat window. For simplicity for now, this could be done each time you enter PaxLair POT.
    When a resident enters PaxLair POT, they get the Resident message.

When people log in, they get their Guild MOTD from their guild officers. This would only appear when they log in.

When the town owner/steward or guild leader/officer change the MOTD, it immediately goes out to anyone in the POT visitors, residents, or in the Guild. Thus, this could be a simple text "broadcast" system for now.

More Complex Methods:

The more complex ones could include message boards, default messages, duration, etc. For now though, I think the simple methods (if added) can REALLY help our guild and town communications.

Thoughts?

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

All great ideas! I'm looking forward to seeing these in game now.

DuKe NuKeM, Minerva and Time Lord like this.
  14. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

+1 message of the town please please.

15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I've asked @DarkStarr / @Chris / @wizardsmoke / @oneandonly all for this... I also asked for the notes... they added notes but not how I wanted...

@wizardsmoke I'm guessing you did the notes? I remember we talked about them being in the list and sortable because then they're the catchall field that we can use however we want. That would be great to change at the same time!

MotD posted as a system message
    Note for guild players, visible by all members, editable by officers, in the guild member list.

Yes on both please :)

16. Sciamano

Sciamano Avatar

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DuKe NuKeM likes this.
  18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

I'm on board for chat based and item/board based MOTD for towns and guilds. Let's do it =)

Time Lord, Minerva and Winfield like this.
  19. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

If paper could be placed on walls as an interim step, you could accomplish the effect of having a message board. I never understood why paper can't be placed on a wall. Heck....force me to make a pushpin for the right to do so if you must....for realism.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I was still out of town when this started. I think walking into owlshead for example, the town square is missing its message/bulletin board. I don't think it has to be an eyesore but fit with the look of the environment around it. These are beautiful examples of what we could have. In a game as Shrouds where we all live so divided, I am begging for connecting the world.

I think it is a big mistake to not do it. It can be well done no unsightly posters all over the area, for those who care about that, but our very own beautiful message/bulletin boards that would be like reading a newspaper of the Shrouds world.

I know there could be thoughts for spamming so perhaps submit your ad to the bulletin board and if appropriate it will go on the board. This system needs to be in game. I want people to know about Wizards Rest and the Britania Theater Troup, if we hold a play, IN GAME, not reading a spreadsheet but a very cool clickable bulletin board with clickable notes on it like:

'Wanted- $5000 bounty for Red Demons head- whisper Markum for your reward".

"Community yard sale in Wizards Rest Sept 1st, fun and prizes, located next to Owlshead, Whisper Majoria or Baldrith."

Perhaps it is a new person and I know we have hospitalers which is great, but some people would rather interact with a cool bulletin board, sad but true. ;)

These are perfect pictures of how it could look. I've been looking for examples forever with searches, but thanks to another community member I learned the game Witcher had bulletin boards and sorry I forgot to note who it was.

And to add a town square Bulletin Board would let new people know there is a living, thriving community in the game, where they may have felt cold and alone and too shy to come forward. So very necessary. So sorry Minerva if this derails your thread. I feel it is so necessary to the game. :(.

****It also avoids the flashing of messages on a screen and leaves it all up to the player if they want to see notices and read the board. Sorry edited again to make this point @DarkStarr, @Lord British2. ***
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    edited

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.