Minting Coins

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Poor game design, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It doesn't matter how many types of coins people make, it only matters how many coins players want to use. If the coins have no value then no one will use them (and that will in turn keep people from making them). But if players, guilds, towns, etc...find ways to create a need for the special coins (and they will) then we'll see regional economies that use non-standard coins.

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Toy Town money has a purpose when buying fake sweets.......doesn't mean its worth any more than the plastic it is created from.

3. Drocis the Devious

Envy, if Pax Lair honors Pax Lair coins at a rate that's higher than standard gold coins...you're telling me you wouldn't rather have Pax Lair coins?

Doesn't that solve the debate? I mean, if I offer you 10 million standard gold or 100 Pax Lair and the Pax Lair is worth 10 million gold at any Pax Lair vendor, you're telling me you don't want the 100 Pax Lair coins?

4. Drocis the Devious

Not right now.

But that's how money works in real life. It's the exact same thing. What's an English Pound worth? Whatever someone will give you for it.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Drocis just go and buy them.

I just hope you weren't this enthusiastic over Bitcoin 12 months ago.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Or alternatively I can walk to Resolute within a couple minutes.. harvest a bunch myself and walk back to Ardoris. You see the problem with what you're saying is.. players can't monopolize resources like that.. and travel times even on foot are not going to be a major factor.

You think I won't be able to find "Resolute" Pine wood in every major city? Or that I can't just hire myself a lumberjack?

I know full well that there will be plenty of people for hire that will go harvest anything I want, from anywhere they please.. and they'll even deliver to my doorstep. I know because I was one of those people for hire in my UO days and being in the business made me painfully aware of how common it was. And there's nothing stopping people from doing the same here.. in fact.. there's even more opportunity in SotA.

7. Drocis the Devious

:) No I was never a fan of Bitcoin. I was surprised that Portalarium began accepting bitcoins. I was wrong about that, I thought they'd never do it.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm really glad you are more qualified than me to inform me how economics, currency, markets, modelling and pricing works.

And yes I'm being sarcastic. I wont respond again because you are making my head hurt and I just shot myself.......

Look......

[​IMG]

9. Drocis the Devious

If you hire someone to do the work for you, then THEY need to have that currency or get it exchanged. That will just be added to the cost to hire them.

Again, if there's no way to players to create regional ownership of resources and travel times are so low that it doesn't matter...you're absolutely correct. But I don't think that's how this game is going to work.

In the article linked in the OP, there was a quote that said the devs want this to be a world people "live in". I don't think the pre-alpha Vale map is any indication of how this game is actually being designed on a macro level. This is not going to be a stand around and grind out gold all day type of game.

Just wait until encumbrance is added, that's just going to give you a small taste of what I'm talking about.

10. Drocis the Devious

@Envy, I didn't think I was saying anything debatable. An English Pound is worth whatever someone will give you for it. One vendor might sell you the same thing for 1 Pound that another vendor might require 10 Pounds for.

There's no global price setting.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Generally speaking.. there aren't dozens, much less hundreds of competing currencies within a single country. The population of players in Shroud wouldn't even make up the total population of a large city.. much less a country.

Imagine if you would.. a single city.. let's call it New York.. where every city block could print its own currency... and all those currencies were only valuable inside the city. People could choose to use a standard national currency to buy anything from anywhere.. of specific currencies to buy from a handful of city blocks where the value of those currencies were non-standard.

New York has a much higher population than Shroud is likely to have.. but do you really think that system would work?

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Nooo because using a tool to harvest costs nothing.

13. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I am guessing people outright reject innovative ideas because either they didnt think of it first, or it is not something that is proven to be a sure thing.

please folks, lets not let this game go hollywood. this game not be a clone of what has come before.

Drocis Fondorlatos likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Doesn't Europe have multiple currencies?

I'm fairly certain that there were multiple currencies throughout history in relatively small areas. I'll predict that there will be several (more than 2) viable player currencies backed by guilds and towns within 1 year of the game launching if players can mint their own coins.

I know you guys disagree with me, which is fine. But I don't think there's a reason to argue about it. It seems like some people are just angry at the very thought of it (minting coins for more than just decoration) which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If you're a person that is angry about coin minting, can you tell me why you're angry about it? Saying "it won't work" is not a very good reason is it? I mean if it won't work then what are you angry about? If it will work, then what makes you angry about a mechanic that's working?

15. Drocis the Devious

Don't they have to get through control points that could be owned by players? If you don't use our coins you don't pass! ;)

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Multiple currencies yes.. but not dozens or more within each country.. and none that are backed by non-government group's reputation.

I've yet to see anyone say they're angry about anything and several reasons have been given to explain why it won't work.

You can't just compare Europe with.. well someone out there how many actual countries are there in Europe? Less than.. 30ish.. give or take.. will millions of people in each.. for how many hundreds of millions total juggling a couple dozen currencies? With a few hundred thousand in a much more compressed space and limited economy and several dozen competing currencies.

The economics between real and game worlds are too different. The number of people using a currency to make it meaningful is also a factor.. plus.. people in a single country usually don't use dozens of currencies simultaneously within the same market.

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I've had a change of heart......I shall buy all the in-game player currency (especially Pax Lair). I will be rich!

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not if you're in Friends Only or Single Player Online you don't. The control points would still be open but you have to enter the same instance those players are in for them to do anything about it. Your argument also assumes they could maintain absolute control for any meaningful period of time.

19. Drocis the Devious

I get it, you guys don't think it will work....ever.

So if we launch and players can mint coins and there ends up being a few viable player made currencies, why do you care one way or another? If you don't think it will work and you're wrong, so what?

If you don't think it will work and you're right, so what? I don't really understand why there are multiple posts saying this over and over again.

20. Drocis the Devious

Just do me a favor and when the devs announce more about their plans for the economy, please make sure to tell them none of it will work if they propose 75% of what I'm talking about. Cause I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, I'm using what the devs have said and making logical conclusions.

Friends Only and Single Player Only certainly cloud things up...I've made this point many times.

RG has responded that everyone is in the same economy regardless of if they're in Single Player Online, Friends Only or Open PVP. So he must know something I don't know because I agree that seems like a way that people could easily ruin an otherwise very good regional economy. I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.