Minting Coins

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Poor game design, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It won't be viable day one, it's going to take work to create the demand.

Jat talked above about agreements with other towns. That's a good start. You take our coins and we'll take yours. The whole thing is based on trust and if you break that trust you could ruin your local economy pretty quickly. It's not going to work perfectly right away, there will be ups and downs.

Honestly, you don't even need minted coins for this, it's just easier to distribute. You could just as well use Paper Notes from the beginning and create the same promise to pay that you could with coins. The dev team doesn't have to do anything, this can already be accomplished with books.

Jatvardur likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Yup, but as mentioned in my previous posts.......wishful thinking.

Tahru likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Question is of the feasibility of ever creating a new, viable currency in the first place. You're assuming demand where none initially exists. If I don't know about your currency.. and I don't NEED your currency.. and I have a hard time getting enough of your currency for it to be useful.. then why should I want it? You have to have enough supply in this case to create demand or that demand will never exist.

You're talking about creating viable currencies and this is justification for things being implemented the way you want. IF it works you might have some bang for buck but it's a huge gamble. You assume that if you're right, there will be enough demand to justify the devs building the feature in the first place.

But in order to be a viable currency.. you need both demand.. and supply.. meaning enough people want to use it.. and can get their hands enough for it to be useful to them. What I'm pointing out here.. is just producing enough supply would be a daunting task at best. Even if everything were implemented the way you want.. and even if there were algorithms in place to track the value of multiple currencies.. you still have a massive supply issue to overcome for any custom coin to become a viable currency.

4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

That sounds awfully familiar. ;)

Books as currency: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/135449/
    Testing that idea: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/284783/

Both dev+.

5. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

If.

Yet distance and time are factors too, so perhaps buying the uber-cool sword from Paxlair in PLCs (by force) is something you'd consider. With respect to an earlier poster, the rate of supply for PLCs could be lower than that of actual Goin Coins. With no perceivable change in demand (let's not assume it is identically zero) then PLCs should increase in value.

All supposition of course, but I'm willing to see what happens. Wishful thinking if you will.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Something else to consider..

Assume first you can mint 100 coins from 1 gold bar. How many man hours would it take then to mint 1,000,000 gold from 10,000 gold bars?

Would that be enough to make a viable currency? If you had 100,000 players.. (there are over 142,000 accounts registered on the forums now).. that would average 10 coins per player. 10 coins isn't going to be very useful.

I can only imagine how tedious it would be even for hardcore crafters to spend hour after hour minting coins and nothing else.

Yes I'm assuming not being to mint en masse. I could only imagine what it would do the economy if players could mint 10,000+ coin at a time.

7. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Agreed. Which is why if we can test this in pre-alpha that I'd be keen to point it out to the devs: "Crafters are spending a lot of time minting coins and nothing else, there isn't enough supply so this idea doesn't work. Please fix."

I'd hope there will be some discussion with the devs and then an agreement about this, otherwise it will be a waste of time as you imply.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

We must remember that the devs have experience in developing systems, and if players are allowed to mint coins, it will be in a very controlled way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.