Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

More random encounters please...

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm totally on board with removing them completely and sticking them in the single player/offline modes.

Every time I am pulled into one I lose valuable minutes of my life that I will never ever get back...................They are not just pointless but they are also horribly bad.

"Something along the road has caught your attention"

Yeah.....and it's a cow! ..... may as well be...........

[​IMG]

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Cowherds provide a lot of good hides and carcasses to sell ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Indeed They Do!~:)
    We need to be able to tame them, bring them home and breed them!
    "Welcome to the Time Lord's Tic Toc Ranch!" :D
    [​IMG]

I've got to work on my branding iron now... o_O

~Time Lord~;)!'

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Milk them, and sheer the sheep. Also all of these scenes provide dogs, which are tamable.

Random encounter scenes are also the easiest sources from which to get wood, and other raw materials. I try to troll roads for random encounters when I want to collect timber.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Verdantis shardfall

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

Given how much I heard about them being a nuisance early on, I don't think this would go over well.

However, what about items to increase or decrease the amount of random encounters? Maybe lures of different types and wards to keep from being pulled into certain kinds of mobs.

Could be popular crafting items.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Observation Skill Needed?~
    Such a skill could then be increased or left at zero, to either become more observant or not and then engage less encounters or more...
    Or, Maybe some SOTA Binoculars or Our Telescopic Scopes... carrying them or not carrying them with us could provide the difference @Rabum Alal Mentions here...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Rabum Alal likes this.
  8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I agree with some here, I currently think random encounters are pretty bad and just a waist of time / aggravating to get dropped in. I believe I heard the dev's say that we will be able to see them in the future. I have faith that this is just alpha content and will be worked on more later.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is the case. Random encounters will become roving encounters with a variety of scenarios from Resource harvesting and general creature ambushes, to boss encounters, merchants, and mini side-quests.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Also please please make them enterable by your party, Ive had a dragon as has my Guildmate up near Spite , which is too tough for us anyhow, but its even more frustrating when your
    running together on a road someplace and one of you spots something interesting and vanishes.

@Berek If you make it a selectable option , or even if you dont can you please make it so that party members get a message of X has spotted something interesting, join Yes/No.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I feel the same way. They weren't fun in the beginning and I still don't think they are any fun now. I hope roving encounters are put in the game soon so I can avoid these things completely!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'm sure the random/roving encounters will be more diverse and interesting over time. Hoping the load times could be a bit faster.

Also I was hoping more of these types of encounters could be introduced through quests and joining NPC guilds/factions. Like 'go search this area on the overland map and find the bandit' and you need to navigate through random encounters or whatever. Like the old school RPG feeling. Maybe some of the encounters bring you directly to a scene inside of an adventure zone and various quest elements and NPC's have been populated in your instance.

Might also be interesting to have an Avatar's skills determine if they can avoid the random encounters or not. Seem to remember listening to Starr talk about the roving encounters and there would be options to avoid them. I was thinking the encounter could do a skill check as well and based on your menu driven skill actions and dialogue you are revealed information and choices that can impact your success in the random encounter. Are you ambushed? Or do you get the element of surprise in the encounter? Did your dialogue choices lead you to a situation where the bandits have already left the scene of the crime? Or is it in progress? Imagine a scene where a group of travelers are getting attacked by bandits...are you able to save them? Or do you wait for the scene to play out, kill the bandits and loot everyone? So the random encounters could be approached from different time frames. Probably too complicated but it would make things a bit more interesting.

Also for single player I think it would be cool if there was a turn based mode like the old single player Ultima games. In this turn based mode perhaps you could take control of the combat decisions of your hirelings and companions?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.