My Mom needs a Bone Morrow Transplant, want to see if you are a match?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

[​IMG]

They caught her Leukemia pretty early, so for what it is it's going pretty well. Next stage is a bone morrow transplant. Right now she has a 9/10 match, but obviously 10/10 would be better.

If you would like to help, they will send you a cheek swab kit and you send it back through the mail.

Thank you!

2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Good luck to your mother, Vladamir!

I myself am registered as a donor for bone marrow in Germany already since many many years, when they still needed your blood to typify you. A friend who was typified lately told me that now the only thing required is to rub a cotton swab on the inside of your cheek and that's it, you're a potential life saver. Considering that it is so hard to find two people that are compatible to be donor and recipient it is of great importance that as many people as possible are listed. I have been waiting for more than 15 years now to be called with the news that I am the right person to save another's life. Sadly hasn't happened so far. I wish they will find someone for your mom.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thank you @Helvig Ingvildsdottir ! There was someone in Europe that matched her blood type also, but I think the person registered 5 years ago and when trying to contact him, they haven't heard back yet. Here's hoping!

And thanks again!

4. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I wish your mother all the best - hope she will get what she needs and recover soon.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Unfortunately i cannot help from here, but i wish you all the best.
    I worked some years in oncology as a male nurse. Best time of my worklife, because it was so true and direct.
    I was in negotiations for an ambulance oncology 2nd leader, but unfortunately i am still in IT Business, but just realized i need to go back to do something social related work or i will become more unhappy and dissatisfied with my work.
    So, i wish your whole family to be strong and all the best to find someone who can spend for your mom.
    Things like that allways remind me to use my time more conscious, more directly and more authentic.

Best wishes <3

6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I'm sorry to hear this and will be hoping she gets the transplant she needs. I looked at the registry, but unfortunately I do not qualify for the program.

Vladamir Begemot and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well that is a great side benefit of this thread! Best wishes to you too!

And thanks everyone!

firesparx and Sir Cabirus like this.
  8. Rusalka

Rusalka Avatar

Good luck to you and your mother! I didn't know about the program, and now registered thanks to your info. Unfortunately I'm of a different ethnicity, so it's probably impossible for me to be of any help. I hope you find a perfect match soon!

Sir Cabirus and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot having been where your mum is I send you and your family my greatest love, while I never got to the bone marrow point, because mine was caught super early and seemed go run and cry when chemo was shown to it they took my own bone marrow just in case..

Sir Cabirus and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Rusalka @liz_the_wiz Thank you! Rusalka if you decide to do the cheek swab, you may be asked to donate to someone else entirely, so if you're inclined you could still go for it!

Rusalka likes this.
  11. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Dear Vladamir,
    I pray for you to be strong during this time for your mom needs you. I pray for her to be strong although it is a very difficult task and she will have many days that she will wonder if she can go on. However, as long as there is breath in her she can go on. I am not just saying this for I am in remission for advanced Breast Cancer. I also had a transplant. It was a stem cell transplant. It is not easy to handle but keeping loved ones before your eyes and always in your thoughts will make the horror of it able to go through each day. There is significant pain during the process but it was worth it all hoping I would see my children at least another day.
    Encourage her to write down all her good thoughts as well as her bad and fearful thoughts. Encourage her to say everything that is on her heart. Please be wise and do not tell her not to say these things for if she says them she needs to say them. I kept a journal each day. It is a long and very hard process and writing helped.
    I wish I could give your mom my bone marrow.
    CatherineRose

Sir Cabirus and Vooch like this.
  12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

i wish they dont even let me give blood - in the UK if you had any blood since about 1980 you cant give blood let alone anything else..

But its blood and bits that served me well these last 18 years.. I wish I was a 10/10 match and would happily give

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Your mom is in my families prayers! I hope she finds a donor.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am so sorry to hear about your mom Vladimir. Sending my best wishes and thoughts for all of you.

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wow, how are they going to keep getting enough blood? Eventually you will all run out!

And again a big thank you to everyone. I'll tell Mom about you all!

Oh, you may also notice me not around as much during November (or maybe more if I'm sitting around with a laptop) due to me being up there with her.

majoria70 likes this.
  16. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I see active and retired US Military (me) can do this at base hospitals/clinics. I shall seek this out! I enjoy such quests.

https://bethematch.org/support-the-...marrow-registry/members-of-the-u-s--military/

https://www.salutetolife.org/walk_ins.html

CatherineRose likes this.
  17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I wish your mom the best with finding the best possible donor.

I'm a big believer in organ and blood donations and have donated blood myself. Even if people can't help in this case, I encourage joining whatever you national organ donor registry is and/or donating blood and plasma. It really does save people and requires very little from you. I mean, every person is a walking blood factory. =P

Winfield likes this.
  18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Hope you find a match .. best wishes :)

19. svartelric9

svartelric9 Avatar

Really sorry to hear about your mother, and not to be able to help (I'm not eligible to donate). All the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.