my thoughts on the aftermath of a pk kill.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by wmidgard, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am not following your logic. You do have access to 100% of the game. Only 5% (5% is the # I have seen from the Dev posts, I have seen lots of people saying 10% so I may have missed that, either way not really different in your case) is PvP and if you choose to not PvP then you are cutting that off from yourself. It's like ordering a Fully loaded cheese burger and pulling off the pickle because you don't like pickles.

Now this PvP hex, why would you want to enter this hex? If this hex is designed fully for the PvP content, then there is zero interest for you, as you just said you do not wish to PvP.

Here is the aspect I am not sure people are thinking about. At least some of that 5%(10%) is made up of contested territory. This means at times these areas will but under control and not a PvP hex. This is the point you will be able to do your exploring without the need to flag for PvP.

Rufus D`Asperdi likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Let's say for example there is an ancient ruin in an area which is intended to be fought over by guilds and therefore would be a PvP area. Yet I see this ruin while exploring in SP mode and naturally I want to take a look at it, explore it - even if there is nothing of value to be found for me, it's the thrill of exploring a part of the world that drives me there. And suddenly out of the blue I won't be able to enter this area? This would be disappointing and irritating.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You paid for 100% of the game, you are not denied access. You just get flagged PvP when you get access that is all. If you don't want to be flagged for PvP then don't go there, but you are not denied anything.

Furthermore, just because somebody can flag for PvP doesn't mean they "automatically" get rich off of these special resources. It will be the toughest, and the most cunning that will get these resources. PvP is costly as well.

So you can't claim to be at a disadvantage either.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Incorrect.

As stated in the most recent Hangout, PvP areas will be accessible in Single Player. They simply won't have the increased resource generation that will be present in the Multiplayer mode.

Isaiah likes this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This would be absolutely ok.

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Isaiah,can I ask you why we have pvp zones with extra resources if pvp can flag themselves pvp for world pvp? is it not to attract pve to that zone? If not they should do away with the extra recources and/or pvp zones.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they are enticed, then they wouldn't be PvE anymore I guess.

Good point. So you think Portalarium should take a more aggressive stance and make the resources very enticing to PvE players? I'm fine with that. I guess I was caving into peer pressure from the PvE people when I made that comment.

Avorin Swiftslay likes this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Flagging for Open PvP and hex based PvP are 2 different play styles. Hex based PvP is PvP for a purpse. Open PvP is adding an extra element of danger to the rest of the game.

Hex based PvP has a risk and reward built into it. Open PvP, as far as we know, does not but it is in the game because there is a large enough segment of players that desire this style of play.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya what o am saying is if they are trying to entice pve then they van not have full loot. I van see gold and resources being lootable. not much more.

Time Lord and StevieD like this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Can you elaborate on the two different play styles please

Time Lord likes this.
  11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If those areas were full loot pvp, I know for a fact I would not adventure in them. So at least in my case they would have failed to attract me to pvp. Take that for what it's worth.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Open PvP: Open to attack at any give moment (guards may respond accordingly)
    Contested hex PvP: The story elements of the game will bring conflict to different areas of the world (the forces of evil will not be sitting and waiting) Some portions of the story will be PvP.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Rista,do you think the extra resources in hex warfare are to attract pve players?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There's some sense in that, but I think a lot of PvPers are going to have trouble with that. That's the way it goes I guess. There will continue to be a lot of PvPers who complain and say SotA just does not have real PvP, and no cost vs reward.

The problem is no green PvEer is going to ever be able to compete with a seasoned PvPer. Never going to happen. See how Lum bullied all the other devs? That's going to happen to the PvEers coming into these zones. They're not going to want to visit these zones. ONLY PvP people are going to visit these zones. I really don't think these zones are going to attract PvE players. These zones will likely have the toughest of all the PvP in the whole world. The players that flag open PvP will have trouble gathering resources in these zones, much less a person who has never tried PvP. Some PvPers are so hard core they won't care if somebody doesn't get a chance.

Another way to put it, is you take a defensive lineman from a pro football team. You get a guy who maybe played football in high school and throw some pads on the guy. There's no way the Pro Lineman is going to take it easy on this guy. If he did and lost it might make the papers. No the Pro will thrash that guy, and make him never want to put on a helmet again, and he will say this is a serious sport I make a living doing this, it isn't a game.

EDIT: DON'T MODERATE ME ON THIS... I'M MAKING A SERIOUS POINT...

IN fact he will say what all PvP players say to PvE players, If you want to play a man's sport you have to be a man first. Stop crying about not being fair, and stop crying about losing your stuff. It's the same hard core mentality that is in a contact sport. It makes PvP people upset when players can't handle a fair fight.

jiirc and Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

I do feel like in a lot of these discussions people are just talking about their old UO or other MMO experiences and not what this game will be.

I hope these discussions become more focused after we actually see how PvP/PvE actually works out in SoTA.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Exactly my point. Then in this scenario they should not have extra resources. Double resources did not even work in up felluca and created an imbalance in resources controlled by pvp guilds. I should not have to live withthat

Time Lord and StevieD like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Sorry writing from a crappy phone lol

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Then they shouldn't have these zones at all then. PvE people are happy, and PvP people are happy with Open PvP. The resource zones will be for people who really want to figure out how to obtain these resources by serious means. Not even a normal PvPer will be able to aquire these special resources.

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However then why not give PvP people a better compromise on the looting system. Since PvE people will not choose to PvP, but some will naturally gravitate to it because of whatever reason.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm totally fine if there is no additional resource gain in PvP. PvP is it's own reward, but there needs to be something to gain in PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.