my thoughts on the aftermath of a pk kill.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by wmidgard, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

True. Sometimes I think half the heated arguments on this subject boil down to different definitions. And the subject is so serious to so many on both sides that passions run high.

So on a lighter note, here are my definitions. Totally irreverent of me, I know, but I couldn't resist and no offense meant to anyone. All in good fun. :)

Pvpers:
    [​IMG]

Pk/griefer:
    [​IMG]

disclaimer: I have no idea what it says under the scratched off part. The name of another game I assume.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: Well, when we're talking about different styles and so many different people that we learn to get along and play with online, we can always run into a few that fit all categories because of how the human brain is wired together feeding on a never ending supply of developed (learned to the point of dependency) hormones. That is why it's important to have a mentally healthy game like SotA because of it's Virtue and Karma System, yet created even better with the additional quality of Choice.

The Virtue and Karma System allows every player to eventually ware their behavior, displaying to the outside world what exactly they are all about, thus displaying the set hormones they enjoy feeding into their brain in a safer than real life online environment.

It's a fantasy game and even here in the forums you can see the wanted support of these behaviors come out, because that is what is needed by the player's brains to obtain that mental hormone fix in order to have future fun. If it's fun we can become addicted to it and that's what makes a long enduring successful game.

A person can have a pigeon crap shoveling job in Thailand (like me:)) and still become a great and all powerful Guild Master or Dread Player Killer or Valiant War Knight here in our wonderful game and come away not having any more need to become anything more of themselves in real life because they've gotten their wanted behavior gratifying hormone fix right here.
    So we need to be able to accommodate these people and me too :D because we're all just common people with many different descriptions of all our inner mental gaming conditions o_O
    As an example, I am a PvP, Rogue PK who wishes to hide and kill players if it's an open PvP world and if it's a world of choice, I want to only PvP if we are to have "very large battles" and if they're not large enough for me, I want to PvE until they do get large enough. Yet if let's say that PvE proves to difficult for me, then maybe I'll craft or just go fishing or farming in the fields. But right now, it's a wide open game that we haven't been able to see the final product of, "so everything is still up in the air as a viable option".

The PK needs a supply of weaker victims
    The PvP needs a supply of themselves
    The PvE needs a supply of animated creatures
    The Crafter needs a supply of customers

We all need a supply of what gets our mental dependencies satisfied o_O
    And that's what our SotA is all about :)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

No worries episode 2 will be heavy PK inspired :p jk

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I would totally be cool with the PKs if we could shut them out. You kill me and me and my guild shun you! Way more effective than waiting for anti-PKs to intervene! Economic pressures are extremely effective and they are a great way to get folks in line. They would curb that behavior PDQ if they couldn't buy or sell anywhere in game due to their horrendous rep. that they brought on themselves. That is real risk vs reward IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

PVP Zones are currently planned to only be accessible in Open Multiplayer since playing them in Friend Only or Single Player Online modes would be an easy way to circumvent PVP.

So if you are PvE you are locked out from playing the full game the way that you want, just to pacify the PvP players because they can't get full PvP and want to kill a few newbies. If they are dedicated PvP players they will always login as PvP so all the map is open to them to kill each other without creating victims.

7. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

You mean like in UO, where the bandaid fix called Trammel had to ameliorate the terrible consequences of bad design with regard to griefing newbies?
    Oh I am sure that will come ;)

Arcon Wornsteel likes this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's a rather "glass is empty" kinda statement.

9. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK Avatar

When a Pker get killed..... he laughs
    When a Pker kills a non PKer..... he laughs
    When a PKer gets banned from town...... he laughs
    When a Pker get attacked by guards.... he laughs

A PKer plays for the fun challenges of a game not for the shiny new trinket.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When a PKer gets bored....
    When a PKer can't compete....
    When a PKer has intent to harass...

Granted, PK is not the only one that has these issues.

11. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I think the bit you're missing is this:
    • The rarest resources and rarest creatures will be more abundant in PVP Zones. (IMPORTANT NOTE: These resources and creatures also appear in PVE zones)
    The way I see it, the only thing a PvE player will miss out on is obtaining these rare things with greater ease. Everything else on the list you quoted is PvP-specific, so why would a PvE player want it anyway? (If it's a question of not seeing that part of the map - since many of these zones will be random (if I understand the idea correctly), at some point the hex will revert to non-PvP and everyone will be able to visit and explore it. There just won't be the additional resources that were there during the event.)

If we don't want to take the risk associated with PvP, we can still find the same rare resources and creatures but it will take us longer. If we want the PvP-specific resources and quests, presumably we are willing to flag for PvP at least some of the time so there should also be no problem. :)

12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

If that's true then why do they all, universally want full loot? PKers don't laugh at those things, they take to the forums and complain about inequalities and how they are being restricted from playing the game the way they want.

The above does apply to some extent to many outstanding PVP players I know, although they usually don't get banned from towns and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silent Strider and Time Lord like this.
  13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

This is so true. You missed..

When a Pker gets killed by a mass of RPers...... He laughs

:)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Full loot is more about stocking up on supplies such as potions and spare armer parts, if all you do is PvP you don't get that much time to make money or craft.

It also helps in mass fights as it helps disable your opposition for a while.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Robby

Robby Avatar

This is ME!!!
    Though sometimes im a miner, sometimes im a fisherman as well. I may create a fighter character once in awhile too. But rarely am I out duking it out with some of the worlds toughest murderers or killing the noble paladins when the come after me after murdering a miner and his pack horse(Im using the stealth skill to get away from the noble paladin after this normally).
    I don't generally pickpocket other players, though I would have the skill because once in awhile it was useful but the main abilities for a rogue in UO was hiding, stealth, and lockpicking. You could loot houses and ships with hiding and stealth ESPECIALLY in trammel.
    A lot of what I would do didnt always involve doing things against other players. Though if I could snag items from other players I would. Sometimes I would have a rogue that had a good karma title because I just wouldn't mess around with other players with the particular character. But I still just seemed overall shady just for being a rogue so you had to be cautious around me >=-P.
    My experience with being a rogue in the PvP world usually meant that you would end up being targeted by murderers. For the most part, you were PvM. Ideally i'd like to be this way in SotA but with enough PvP incentive behind it to make it more interesting, which is why the "contraband quests" sound very interesting to me. I don't want to be targeted by murderers only, I want to be on my way to getting amazing loot, but open to attack from even non-murderer's. I want to be "grey" and visible to ALL players once I accept the contraband quest. That will feel very OPO and full loot to me! So even if your purely PvM you WILL see me grey and trying to avoid being seen by you. And a number of you will probably just say "hi" because you don't want to participate in PvP. Which is fine, people do this in the full loot PvP uo shards I play on anyway.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My top 2 things for PvP/PK are simple;
    A Pera-Death option that both can choose before any battle or encounter and encumbrance for carrying anything.
    With these 2 simple things in place, or at least the Pera-Death option for players to choose, I don't see any other obstacles to anything we wish to PK or be PKed by.
    I'm for PvP, but it's the same as alcohol, PvP/PK responsibly, where it was a choice and both made their choice very clear before they ever met...

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm all for PvP and that is why I would never vote for perma death as it would probably kill PvP off completely. Characters take a great time to level up so I can't see any appeal in dying and losing 6 months work.

The only additions I am looking for with PvP now is:
    - Ability to flag player towns as PvP zones
    - A function that in theory gives 'full loot' but in reality makes the victor take choices (like the idea I proposed)

I agree that PvP should be consensual but not on a player by player level, it should just be based on hex. If you don't like PvP or don't want to be attacked, you simply dont go there.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm just for an option for any weaker tolerance or weaker of PvP heart...
    As in if you were such a weaker hearted player, then if you had a prior option of play where you were afforded the chance to choose a perma death option for your entire play, then if you killed or were killed by another player, then "by instance" you shouldn't need to have your heart hurt again.

(prelaunch screen during chr creation)
    "do you want the perma death option?" (yes) (no)*

I see this as sort of a parental control for those very young that could be effected thus harming their school work or social acting out.
    like a PG 13 rating

19. DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK

DASTARDLY ROTTEN RICK Avatar

Seems like people don't know the difference between PVP and PK. If you are a PK'er you know what I am talking about. PVP not so much.

20. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

the problem is that for the victem its all the same .
    you get jumpd wen you least expect it and killd by another player.

even the most nobel PvPer will try to stack the odds in his favor and try to attack from a ambush .
    the only difference might be that after the PvPer kills you he might tell you :
    "well faught brave sir,do you requiere any assistence retrieving your corps" ( if we have corpserun in the game )
    wile the PKer will say :
    "PwDeD N00B You SuCXX " and will be trying to find the corect emote so he can teabagg your corps .

Ravenwing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.