Necessity of tab targeting

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kara Brae, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastese

Mastese Avatar

Agreed...and even worse, a magic vs. melee to last less than 10 seconds with no challenge whatsoever (I swear though...I get one quick knockdown in before he can cast his first offensive spell and he'll never get a second opportunity to cast, much less stand up again).

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

3. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Very often, I play SotA on a laptop without a mouse. Just use trackpad and keys. It would remain possible to do 1 v 1 pvp with this setup and no tab targeting so long as I do not lose target. However, removing tab targeting would make all other forms of combat very difficult when on a laptop with no mouse.

Leostemplar and Kara Brae like this.
  4. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

tabtargeting depents wich combat system we get, in an action based system we might not need it, in a more trad. system its realy good to have i realy hope we will know soon wich direction sota goes.

for me the most interresting combat system was darksouls 2

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Nice video Edward Newgate. Is that your character playing? I have not played that game before..:)

6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

No random video, mine is black witch :) i loved the darksouls games, that said this game is only for peaple who loves to suffer, darksouls 1 and 2 one of the hardest games.
    Skill matter more than gear and level

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I could see that skill mattered. I so wish to see that here. Also more depth in acquiring those skills and using those skills is a big deal to me, but you have probably heard me before ;)

Lord Soliwilos and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

That would be so great if shroud would go in that direction.

Ifound this game on youtube, its an mmo made in unity or rpg not sure.
    Its allsow in unity but made from 2 players (proterlarium should hire this guys)
    You can dive have ships (water and air) and intersting combat animations and random dungeons (we need random dungeons)

Myrcello likes this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

More for selecting, re-selecting the target. Could even on hotkey, grab id's from nearest 12 Targets, configurable to red's, white's, red & white, player, etc via checkboxes. Then sort them in a list also configurable by targets strength or distance whatever. Then it would be easier to find what you want to target when they are all in a pile.

10. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

[tab-target] In my point of view when I would like to target a person from a group, I would turn my head his direction, check on him and would keep him in mind/focus even if I am currently facing different direction and have to finish a slash with sword.

[click-to-target] I would have to turn away from my current opponent, get to the dude I want to focus now, pat him on the shoulder say - "hey, you are next" :-D

Not to be able to reasonably control the game with long term proven mechanics but to have to go the other way around seems pointless to me - sure, dont use the tabulator and click, but why should I be taken away of this control option? It does not imabalance the game state anyhow.

In my play style, I use the keyboard only to move and switch targets, mouse to use abalities. With vioces praising free attack and opting to get rid of autoattack and people opting to get rid of tab targetting I am only waiting when posts to remove keyboard movement and binding only mouse click move will appear. I really do not wish this game to be click fest like diablo.

And there goes the argument defending point-click targetting as "role playing slow paced game" ... does not sound like that at all to me...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So I think back to how I tend to traditionally target.

Click my main target.....that is now the focus. Any attack lands on that target.
    If there are a great number of players, I will use tab to change target as it is much quicker then trying to manually target in busy gameplay. I only tend to manually target again if there are few players on the screen and I want a specific target.

I also zoom out as much as possible, I want to see as much gameplay as possible. I never play in 1st person.

My greatest fear is if a direction is taken where you you cast a spell or draw an arrow you are then presented with a target to then click. If this direction is taken I would push to see "attack last target" that could be assigned to my mouse along with a checkbox option to "queue last target"

12. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I remember absolutely loving how Tabula Rasa felt. The talk of going towards Tera scared me a little with where we are now, and I love Tera's combat too, but Tabula Rasa felt like much more of a satisfying balance between an EverQuest-based and Tera-based system. If that is the direction combat is going, I'm ALLLLL in!

Way earlier on in SotA's combat development, when I was rooting for the fall of auto-attack as we've known it, I would bring up Dungeons and Dragons Online's combat as another great example of a "balanced" combat approach. It has a soft-lock aimed-targeting system where your "auto-attack" is toggled on by holding down your left mouse button. Holding down right mouse button will rotate the camera like usual, but it also hides your cursor and displays the reticle above your character's head as long as that button is held. It feels actiony without really being so, and it's great!

A DDO or Tabula Rasa should be fairly easy to get to from where we are now. Wherever it goes, I am super excited about the future of combat. Good luck Dev's! Keep up the awesome work!

Myrcello likes this.
  13. Albus

Albus Avatar

I also prefer a direct fire, line of sight system where people & other monsters block shots intended for targets obstructed by line of sight. I would prefer elimination of targeting in combat, if you fire a shot you hit is directly in front of you. If a target is obscured by other targets or friends, you either shoot something else or move to position yourself for a clear shot, and coordinate with allies to set up crossfires and such.

For PVP, I'd fully include friendly fire, if friends are packed around a target you must decide if it is worth it to hurl a fireball into their midst potentially blasting them all, friend and foe alike. For PVE, I would suggest a modified version - friendlies still block your shots, but do not take damage from them (purely to avoid "griefing"/intentially harming other player characters where PVP is not intended). This would carry over to AOE and "debuff" attacks as well, such that damaging spells automatically "fizzle" and do nothing but use up focus if a friendly target would otherwise be struck (so if you hurl a fireball into a pack of foes & friends, it does not go off an no one is harmed - other than the caster, in terms of lost focus). For healing/buffs, I'd let these work on whoever is struck- friend or foe. If you AOE heal/buff you will heal whoever is in the area, friend or foe, and must decide if it is worth it. For powers that heal as well as harm (i.e., lifetap sorts of spells), they would fizzle if they include a friend in their area of effect. This allows a semblance of realism/immersion while encouraging good cooperative strategy and positioning, without being exploited by those wanting to harm other player characters outside of areas intended for PVP. Be careful where you sling that fireball, especially in pvp! But also in pve, where you may waste precious focus on a spell that fizzles because a friendly is in the area! Also no more firing arrows through your buddy's back into the enemy, what is more immersion breaking than that :p

padreadamo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.