Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Camera/Targeting Idea

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Leostorm, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

So i had the idea of instead of a "tabed" target, what if we could focus the camera on a target.

This would be merely a camera trick for your retical to stay focused on one target even if they move around. We could use "T" as the toggle now.

Things could still get inbetween your line of sight and ud soft target them instead.

This would help alot of ranged fighters and allow melee to strafe more effectivly.

The balance is that u cant swing camera while in this mode. so you could effectivly be snuck up on.

right now we juggle alot of elements during combat. This would also help not having to concintrate so much on what im trying to look at and more of what im actualy doing (stacking glyphs, posisitioning, buffing, charge attacking, debuffing,ext...)

Just an idea, what are yalls thoughts?

Browncoat Jayson and Leelu like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Anythign to "lock" in a target needs to e implemented.

I would be happy if a chose targeted health bar just stayed up so I could know if my target left "range" . . . . .

Leelu and Leostorm like this.
  3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea i mean in certain situations i love being able to jump back and forth between mobs. But once say its like 3+ mobs and you need to focus on one at a time to be most effective. its semi difficult to do now. And im a lethal cs:go/chivalry player.

helm and Leelu like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I love the idea of optionally locking onto a target. It accurately represents how fights really work when people get tunnel vision. Plus, it offers strafing utility by forcing the camera to follow the target, as mentioned. I agree that line of sight should be preserved and if someone gets in the way, that is totally representative of not only reality but even tabletop gaming. Only terrain should break a lock. Moving distractions, like other players or enemies should act like soft targets that temporarily move your lock to them while in the way.

I'm digging it.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hand holding in combat by removing the chaos and realism? Tststs... What is next? Breadcrumb trails to quests and yellow exclamation marks above NPCs?
    No, the removal of target locking was a very good choice for a more realistic and interesting combat experience.

helm, Corazon and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Normally, I'd agree with that, but the soft targeting we have now does not represent realism. There needs to be a way for us to shoot an arrow at our actual target instead of fighting the system to avoid hitting the target that just happens to be closer and also in the very wide arc of fire.

Link_of_Hyrule and Leostorm like this.
  8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Since the targeting is not 'fire where you aim' but a type of AI pick of which one it likes best within an arc, then yes, there needs to be a way to pick for the AI (or AS - artificial stupidity).
    I am a fan of this system, sort of, but the bugs are killing me, and this selection within the arc needs to have a solution. (My humble opinion)

Solstar likes this.
  9. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Thinking out loud.
    The reticle makes an arc of targets the AI can select from, but if we use the actual reticle placement and then double left click to set the 'soft lock', will that work? Add in that if you look away but then look back this soft target will reacquire until you fire with a different set of targets in your arc or you double left click a new target.
    Free attack will not be affected.

10. helm

helm Avatar

Exactly. The real problem here is that it's easy to lose track of that chosen lucky "one". However, locking does not really solve that problem, in my opinion, because there's often a need to deal with the rest of them occasionally -- for example slow a couple of them down, and then get back to your original "lucky one". But ehh...which one was it again?

This is why I like the idea Chris was tinkering with somewhere recently - placing some kind of mark on one target, that will persist regardless of how many times one switches targets. (now where was that? can't seem to find it just now)

11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I remember that idea being mentioned as well, helm.

12. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

That persistent mark might be initiated by a double left click... hope you guys remember correctly because that is a good thing if Chris said that.

13. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

What exactly is realistic there now?

If i have 5 dudes in front/arround of me, i can VERY WELL decide in real life who i want to kill first with my big fat weapon!

Did you actually fight for real atleast ONCE in your real life?

I did, and not only once...
    If you know what you do, there is no chaos, you can pick your target wisely!

14. helm

helm Avatar

There is a very big difference between "realism" and "real life". In this case realistic refers to locked target being less realistic than free targeting in quite a few ways. Free targeting is also much more versatile tactically, therefore potentially allowing for more interesting battles. It is also more challenging in ways that many find undesirable, like requiring slightly higher mouse-related fine motor skills than the old system.

Quite irrelevant and borders on personal attack, which is forbidden in the forum rules.
    No chaos? Well... ;)
    Actually in many cases one just can't focus singlemindedly on a single target. This is one of the ways how the removal of target locking allows for a more realistic combat. (might want to search youtube for something like "vikings 5 battles" for further elaboration about chaos, I'm not linking anything because there are certain disagreements about the age limits regarding that series..)

15. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Take it as you will...

But you really think such an System is more challenging?

Hmm. Can you tell me then why all MMOs who had such an control system failed, have a very low player base or gonna quit soon for good (like a AAA game called ESO)?
    ESO! It was absolutely not challenging!
    Or even GW2, wow... It was so challenging... not!

16. helm

helm Avatar

If only folks would care to actually read what they are responding to.
    Also, I would suggest reading the not-so-subtle hint from another thread that I think applies in here as well:
    Enough said.

GreyMouser2 and Chris like this.
  17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

For me I think they should include soft target locking of targets within the rectile view purely so you aren't accidentally sending spells off to attack other mobs. Right now I'll be attack a mob at close range and my spells will just fly off attacking another mob and that mob will come and attack me while I'm still trying to kill the first one.

redfish and Weins201 like this.
  18. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

Oh sorry lol... Do you feel cool now or what?
    Don't tell me you never misreaded something, happens to everyone once in while.

That thread you linked, well, i readed that one long before your reply here.

19. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

this is an optional focus on target camera function. this doesnt change anything other than stop you looking around. And optional key word.

Alot of people complain about "camera flicking" and getting sick becuase they are moving the mouse just before or after they change modes/hit tab.
    Alot mainly during battle while trying to stack glyphs and keep eye on target and watch the hotbar and ext... its nit about realism when it becomes a chore.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  20. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

idk ive re thought the idea. well see hiw it goes with what we got

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.