New Player-Ran Holdfast now available for you to help build the community.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Duke Gréagóir, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

:) Hopefully not by the mountains. I like the ideas for goat products!

2. Duke Gréagóir

We have been debating to include the Druid tree town house to be home of the Celtic Order of Druids and Bards.

We encourage anyone who is interested in Druids and other nature "classes" to consider living in our holdfast. Our inspiration is from the old Ultima single player games where Bards, Druids, Rangers, and Shepards adventured around. From UO we have inspiration from the Bards, Tamers, and Rangers.

3. Duke Gréagóir

Thanks to all of you who have shown us support. We appreciate it.

So you know our thoughts we have added this web page to start to detail what this holdfast will become - http://www.sotamuseum.com/CelticHoldfast/

We will keep you posted!

RDouglas, Prince Guni and The One like this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

We secured a Ring of Stones, a Pavilion, and a Druid Tree House for the Celtic Holdfast community.

The Ring of Stones will be a public place to meditate in as it will be for public access.

There have been a few different ideas for the Druid Tree House, so stay tuned.

The Pavilion will be the place for our Farmers Market and surrounding the Pavilion on the lot will be our expert public crafting tables. Anyone can visit and use them.

Good things for the Celtic community!

5. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Congrats on the new acquisitions!

Prince Guni and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I congratulate you on your Holdfast! I have not found a city yet but i am looking for a row house lot in one of the player cities also id like to direct you to this it may be of interest to you and your city! :)

Arena/Gladiator Tourneys "Gladiator Games"

Prince Guni likes this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

I added some rough sketches of possible lot placement at http://www.sotamuseum.com/CelticHoldfast/ What we don't know yet is if we will be allowed waterfront lots, a river, a lake in the Biome.

For those who are thinking of living here:
    - Which sketch/es do you like?
    - What house are you planning of having in the holdfast?

What we have already in inventory to be used(bought) is:
    - Duke Castle - Duke Greagoir
    - Pavilion (Village) - Duke Greagoir
    - Stone Circle (Village) - Duke Greagoir - using Keira's Village lot. Thanks Keira!
    - Druid Tree (that is the 1 free house we will select that comes with the Holdfast)

8. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Gréagóir,

I asked Darkstarr about the availability of waterfront property for player-owned towns, and he said this:

For the free add-on houses (ie: Druid Tree), you still need to supply the lot for it, correct?

9. Duke Gréagóir

Thank you for sharing Sundews. That makes my day!

Yes, I have to supply the Town lot for the Druid Tree to sit on. The Holdfast description says "1 Add On Store House" so I am figuring I can select any add on store house for free.

10. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Absolutely fabulous, thanks for looking into it.

Personal Waterfront Keep lot here I come. :D

Prince Guni and Invidia (Envy) like this.
  11. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I like version 1 or 3.. the Tree house should be more to the center and the Circle of Stones away from the center.
    Also the Druid Tree House MUST be on a City/town lot.

Prince Guni and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Lord Galiwyn you are correct that the Druid House needs a town lot. CODB will need to save up for one.

Prince Guni, The One and Keira like this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

With the news that waterfront lots are will be available for player-ran towns in the design (Thanks Sundews! per Darkstarr).

Those who have reservations up to now (aka I penciled you in), still have their spots reserved.

14. Duke Gréagóir

Prince Guni, Keira, The One and 2 others like this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Just more defining information on the "Celtic Holdfast" that is important for all citizens wishing to live there should know. It took a little bit of time to iron these out. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to IM me.

Our Founding Principles

What guides us to create and maintain a player-ran town. These are also posted on our main site - "Celtic Holdfast".

Our Beliefs and Charter include:
    • Mission is to promote Celtic inspired events to the New Britannia/Novia community while maintaining and operating a realistic "virtual" village within the Shroud of the Avatar gaming environment. We seek to add to player's enjoyment of SotA and foster a sense of community.
    • The final location will be determined once Portalarium has given us a spot. Until then we have "adopted" NorthShire village on the Hidden Vale as our base of operations during the Pre-Alpha and Beta releases (or until we are given a final spot during those events).
    • SotA is a open world where players can create diverse virtual environment an we encourage them to do so.
    • "Celtic Holdfast" is not a guild in itself. It is a environment and community that is limitless to player's imaginations.
    • Role-playing is encouraged in the medieval style of the Ultima series.
    • "Celtic Holdfast" is a neutral town and does not take sides. We also don't take crap so don't come here just to grief visitors or grief those who live in the Holdfast.
    • Authority is given to Duke Greagoir to communicate to other Player-ran towns and Portalarium on the "Celtic Holdfasts" behalf. He is responsible for the "Celtic Holdfast" and can make decisions to eliminate any player that is disrupting the founding principles. He is also responsible for the health of the "Celtic Holdfast".
    • Respect and Compassion is our two guiding principles
    ⁃ Treat all others with respect while in or representing the "Celtic Holdfast".
    ⁃ Show compassion to others while in or representing the "Celtic Holdfast".
    • We are a roleplaying town and encourage those living within the "Celtic Holdfast" to be in Role-Playing most the time while talking to visitors. exceptions do arise and can be prefixed with a OOC in the chat. Whispering is the preferred way to speak out of character to someone.
    • While roleplaying, please be respectful and if you need to talk about other "realms" (aka real life, another game, etc) to please mention them as other dram realms you visit while sleeping. To help preserve the roleplaying environment and experience.
    • Our government is a single owner of the Holdfast, Duke Greagoir. He will listen to all people living in the holdfast before making any decisions. If only two people are involved then Duke Greagoir can make a decision after talking to both of those two people (not the entire town).
    • If someone that lives in the "Celtic Holdfast" is being disruptive in any manner and is asked to leave. They will have 10 days to find another place in the New Britannia/Novia or Hidden Vale land areas to relocate their house, lot, and belongings in that spot. This will become public knowledge that they are being asked to leave but not why. If the asked person has not moved their house and lot, their lot may be "evicted" on the 11th day and that spot can be locked. If the person leaving needs more time than 10 days they will have to work that out with Duke Greagoir.
    • Role-played Government - As there is one owner of the "Celtic Holdfast", Duke Greagoir is the only government and is seen as the authoritative figure in the "Celtic Holdfast".
    • Lot Spot Rent - Right now placing in the "Celtic Holdfast" is free and no rent will be taxed upon it's citizens. This will be reviewed each year during the "renewal month".
    • Citizens that wish to leave the "Celtic Holdfast" can do so at any time by their own accord. They are not locked in to any time period. Just inform Duke Greagoir when so he can be aware or making that lot spot available soon after the departure.
    • This Beliefs and Charter is renewed each year in January with the first one being January of 2015. Changes can occur during that rental month of January only.

We based these beliefs on another successful player-tan town PaxLair. We thank them for allowing us to use their model.

Our Past Experience

I have helped run two player-ran towns on the Lake Austin shard of Ultima Online.

The first was the Village of Fenwich. This village was located in Malas as the Age of Shadows expansion pack was released. We hosted jousting events crowning a champion of the event. There was a castle, jousting field, themed hotel, and a Cathedral for Paladins. Events happened many times during the year and at the end we started to document it on a web site. This player-ran town existed for 1 year.
    Interest died from the other partners running the town so I continued onwards myself. I learned a lot from this and at the end learned that one person making a player-ran town was a lot of work. My real-life needed more time from me and unfortunately Fenwich the player-ran town would be a ghost town. I decided the best thing was to move to a Large Tower in Britannia and keep the legacy alive on a web page.

Link to the web site of the Village of Fenwich

The second was Rivenmyst Village located in Tur Mur facet of Lake Austin. There were archery tournaments, The Tokuno Treasure Museum with artifacts from the lands of Tokuno, A Rune Library, Silvermoon Tavern, and houses. A the height of the village 15 different people lived there making it a busy place. Founders included Keira, Arewen Rivenmyst, and Morgan (I think, I will look up the name and replace if this is not right).

This player ran town existed for 3 years. I left as I could finally place a Castle in Britannia (my dream since starting UO 14 years prior. I had two houses in Rivenmyst and left none standing but over time the remaining town's people also found other avenues of interest and the town started to die. Now the grass has reclaimed most of the prior buildings and left no trace.

Link to the web site of Rivenmyst Village

16. Duke Gréagóir

17. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Very nicely done!!

18. Duke Gréagóir

All future posts to this thread will be on the "Celtic Holdfast" Player-Ran Town Ideas thread.

This will use the identity of "Celtic Holdfast" in the header to more easily find this content. Thank you.

RDouglas likes this.
  19. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Sounds very interesting, will be watching and perhaps getting involved/salute.... My Husband and I are looking forward to expanding our accounts and your ideas give us hope for a great community to grow with....

Duke Gréagóir and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

RDouglas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.