1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Pledge Rewards, New Pledge Tiers, Player Owned Towns & Stretch Goal Store Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I said it--8 is way too many. But we're over that bridge now. The wax is cooled, the deal sealed. I agree with you Lord Andernut, but the situation isn't quite the same. Lords are getting more stations now too than was originally planned. That rather complicates the idea that Lords are wronged by giving lower tiers more stations because, well, Lords are getting more stations too.

2. Net

Net Avatar

I can see your point, but I think that even one crafting station at Citizen level is really limiting in the bigger picture. Plus it would make incentive for crafters to upgrade among wider range of pledges, not just at Lord tier.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe I didn't understand it but we can buy whole cities now? How will they be placed on the map? Will those be on predetermined hexes or will we be able to plaster the world with player towns and cities?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Yes. But Lords are getting more stations BECAUSE the Knight Marshall tier that was created was basically the old Lord tier at $400 cheaper. They were added as compensation. If you give them to all the tiers below you have removed much of the incentive to go from Knight Marshall to Lord.

Lord Beli, Swanman, Maka and 4 others like this.
  5. tamino

tamino Avatar

Developers, be mindful that * the only real way to gauge how proposals like this are affecting your potential player base is to make them truly public in the media and to watch the reactions there. You are creating a bubble for yourselves that is taking this game down a very rocky road fraught with peril. Do you truly wish to alienate the masses while appealing to the speculator/investor/Pay2Win crowd? That's exactly what you have done with this game so far. The bulk of your support comes from these types as you can see in your own graph. The bulk of your funding should instead be coming from the lower pledge values. This goes to show the game is not generating the level of interest it should from the average player. That is your true funding problem and you're not going to solve it by inventing more virtual items or more and more virtual property to sell. Instead, you need to focus on what the average player wants out of a game like this one and cater to them.

And here is what I said before this thread was public:

I think this was a good idea in general but I just want to comment that it's unrealistic to keep expecting us to double down (upgrade) over and over. Many of us already contributed more than we really should to a game. You really need to bring in new blood and that's where the majority of your fundraising focus should be after this change is implemented.

Start trying to identify the biggest reasons why people are passing on this game after seeing your marketing pitches. You have to consider the opinions of people on the outside of your community as well.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Just read some of the comments here and here. Just think of how many people aren't here on these forums even participating in these discussions for these and other reasons.

Here's an example where you guys had an opportunity to capture a whole guild but they moved on.

Edited for content; misinformation ~ FireLotus

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Designs change....hence the discussion......

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You say roughly on the map (Northwest area in the woods) and Portalarium picks the exact hex.

I echoed and supported your concern in the Dev+ thread, and I believe both DarkStarr and Chris responded that they know growing to a much larger base rather than asking the same players to double-down is important, and that was why they decided to focus more on graphics. That is why they got a partner to allow them to show the game at E3.

I also think that is why we're getting cheaper housing. They want to attract some new blood.

Time Lord, Swanman, Tarsin and 2 others like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But what if really many people will want to have a city? I fear for the world getting the same problem with cities as UO had with houses...

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  9. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Darkroom, most of the answers are in the original post. Yes you can buy different sized player towns. Their exact placement is determined by the devs during the design session. What you are buying is ability to have a determined number lots but not deeds. As of right now, there isn't any determination how many, but I'm sure discretion will be.used by the devs as to their placement and number.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. enderandrew

I think the stated size for Episode 1 is something insane like 128 x 128 hexes. And that is 10% of the full world size we'll have at the end of Episode 1. We won't fill every hex with a player town.

lollie, Time Lord, Mishri and 2 others like this.
  11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, there would still be:
    • Exclusive Home
    • Lord's Throne
    • Title
    • Extra Crafting Station
    • Waterfront Houseboat (founder only)
    • Exclusive Home (founder only)
    • Servant (founder only)
    • Another Crafting Station (founder only)
    • Another Throne (founder only)
    • Lynx (founder only)
    • Title (founder only)
    • Emote (founder only)
    • Rent Free Row Lot Deed (new)
      • NOTE: This is a 2nd Lot Deed which can only be placed after all other Pledge Reward Lot Deed selection windows are over (currently this would be at the same time as Add On Store lot deeds).
    • 3 Story Stone Town Basement (upgrading from 1 story)
    • 5 Story Row Basement
    • Lord’s Cloak: Cloak with the Lord’s symbol that has golden & silver thread woven into it that can be used to enchant the cloak. Comes with permanent enchantment of being a light source.
    • Noble's Magical Discourse Orb: Object that gives access to a Nobility chat channel. All Game Devs have palantirs as well so are on the same chat channel
    • Reagent Plant: Choose 1 of 3 that grows a common reagent. It must be watered each day. Once per day (if watered) 24 hours later it will generate a reagent
    • Royal Scepter: Once per month grants one lot deed 50% rent discount for 1 month
    • Royal Orb: Once per month grants one vendor 50% commission discount for 1 month
    • 5 Indestructible Crafting Tools: You will receive five (5) starter-level, indestructible, crafting tools for the skills of your choice. Note: This reward does not stack with previous tiers

I do not think that those extra Crafting Stations are the main reason to upgrade to Lord and even then there would be 1 or 2 extra stations. Originally there was only one extra station and only for Founders... those would be getting two for ugrade. Not to mention smaller jump from Knight Marshall.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Thanks for clarifying, and yes I read the new wording. "Summons" & "appears" gave me the exact same visual as "disappears". I hope this isn't lawyering you bro - it's just that the connotation of popping in and out of existence is still present. Anyway, I'd love to contribute to a solid state mount if a percentage ultimately helps progress the core of the game further. Again - thanks for listening.

Time Lord, Tarsin and Maeryck like this.
  13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

You are quoting Founder reasons for the most part as the reason to go to Lord, they need a reason for Benefactors who will be the main source of revenue most likely moving forward to upgrade to Lord. They want these to be rare (so sprinkling them across the tiers would take away from that). With Lord being the first "Benefactor" tier to receive crafting stations it will be a significant addition to the pledge and a reason to upgrade. Giving crafting stations to citizens will not increase the number of citizens who pledge.

14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I have seen you post these links over and over across multiple threads. They have already stated the major reason for the polish was for a presentation at E3, this is a plan to get people to join. The addition of row housing to lower tiers adds value to those pledges. They have provided incentives to upgrade across the tiers with this package, as well as stated their plans (elsewhere) to market to people outside the game.

Maka, Kaisa, Khloec and 2 others like this.
  15. LordEnglish

LordEnglish Avatar

Question for Darkstarr / Dev team
    With the new Knight and higher cloak rewards having an in-game benefit (light), will the add-on store cloaks be getting a similar upgrade? Otherwise I shall be immediately changing my add-on store Lord British cloak into credits.

I would have posted this on the DEV+ version of the thread if i'd noticed it sooner!

I'm also feeling the 5 storey Town Basement may have to go back, as the price now seems steep for +2 floors, rather than the +4 it was previously!

Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Some quick napkin math for all those people who complain about pay per month fees.

Knight level (i'll even use KS value here) of 750$.

This game is "supposed" to be 5 years running (at least), so, 12 months x 5 years = 60.

750 / 60 = $12.50 a month, putting it will in (and in most cases above) the average PER MONTH of any per month game.

And dont forget to add your add-on store purchases.

Except it is all up front prior to the game starting.

Anyone using the layaway plan, how is that not exactly a pay per month with an increased premium.

You are doing exactly what you said you wouldnt do (not the first time either) and squeezing rocks for blood (money).

You shouldn't be pandering to us, but to the non-fan base, which, obviously you cant because they want stuff you don't want to do (designwise).

17. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I think the row housing was the best idea yet. In UO when I got my finally got my little cottage all I wanted to do was upgrade. Giving people the ability to get that foot in the door is a great way to get people hooked.

treehoofer, Time Lord, Maka and 6 others like this.
  18. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They can always limit these :)

Time Lord, NRaas and Mishri like this.
  19. enderandrew

I'm not Darkstarr, but I know SotA will have the ability to add enchantments to items. If you prefer the look of the Lord British cloak, I'm assuming you could later add the light magic enchantment to the item.

Furthermore, the reason that several tier items is getting this enchantment is precisely because not everyone may want to use that cloak, weapon, crown, etc. Any one of the items can you give you the light enchantment, so you're not tied to using all of them. Wear your Lord British cloak and get light from your weapon!

treehoofer, Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  20. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Just to be clear: I wasn't suggesting a full-scale return of Founder pricing. I was just suggesting a small window (a week or two) during which Founders could upgrade to the two new tiers that did not exist during Founder pricing, for the same difference in price from their existing pledge to the new pledge amount as Benefactors will be paying from their old pledge to new pledge.

Time Lord, Lonn Bimmer, ByTor and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.