1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Pledge Rewards, New Pledge Tiers, Player Owned Towns & Stretch Goal Store Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you don't want to give them more money, don't. You will get what you paid for.
    Player towns were actually a stretch goal committed to during the kickstarter.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

LITTLE MAGIC DINGY

For the boat stretch goal... I would like to see little magic dingys.

It would be cool if we could have little magic dingys that are small enough to hold in one hand, but when we need them they can grow in size so people can ride them in the water.

Fully usable dingys that can fit in the palm of your hand.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm not going to repeat my opinions on why this isn't an evil money-grab, especially for someone who feels the need to express their opinions but not read others.

However, I did want to comment on the accusation that Richard Garriott is a megalomaniac. People who've worked with him have cited that perhaps his biggest weakness as a developer is that he is easily swayed by the ideas and input of others. He is precisely the opposite of a megalomaniac. He came into SotA not wanting to have Elves in the game at all (let alone a playable race) and he was swayed by Tracy Hickman who had an idea on how to present them in a new and unique way.

4. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The additions are disproportional, though, especially where you get into the higher tiers where they've added oodles of crafting stations and an extra lot. Also, Founders who paid the discounted price for their pledge are getting the same rewards as people who paid the full price no matter how you look at it. Now that new rewards have been added, the dynamic has shifted, and people might want to upgrade for reasons that didn't exist back at the beginning of April. But if they do that, it's like that promotion for Founders never happened at all. Unless they give us another opportunity (even if it's a short term one) to upgrade at the discounted pricing, many Founders will be forced to choose between upgrading their pledges to take advantage of new tier rewards they might want that are above them or keeping their discount. That's not really fair, considering they might have just updated to that tier in or before April if those rewards were known at the time.

EvilFocker, Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  5. Maeryck

Maeryck Avatar

754 Citizen, I assume this is citizen + edelmann.
    How many of those 754 are citizens, and how many are edelmänner?

Time Lord, NRaas and Korvash like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I think it's fair to not give founder pricing again.
    1) We don't want to re-tread the benefactor/founder division yet again.
    2) Many tiers are getting new items and you don't have to pay anything for them, bonus value to your original (less expensive) pledge.
    3) Those new items in higher tiers are supposed to make you think it's worth that jump, even without founder pricing.

It costs me an extra $100 to go from lord to lord marshal but that seems fair to me-everyone is on a level playing field. and that is one of the larger price differences.

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

That's overstating the problem, Sir.
    There is a financial penalty which is mildly distasteful, but I am (as are you) still a Founder and have many benefits that are still granted by that distinction.

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Once again, thank you to the entire Portalarium staff!

10. RTM

RTM Avatar

Curse Darkstarr.... he wasn't supposed to even the playing field with respect to Lords and the new Lord Marshalls town lot priority! This guy really is chaotic.

Now I must keep my Lord pledge.... and buy a Powerball ticket! (If I win I'll pledge $250,000 but you have to make me King or something)

I see my down by the river wagon lots didn't make it in..... too bad, I really thought they had a certain charm. Maybe in Episode 2.

Amberraine, Time Lord, rild and 2 others like this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's not relevant. You get the new benefits regardless of whether you're a Founder who upgraded in April, a Royal Founder who upgraded in October, or a Benefactor who upgrades right this very moment.

It's not a huge deal one way or the other, but it does leave a bit of a sour taste in the mouth to know that additional incentives to upgrade are being added after the cutoff date for the promotion. That's the main reason I suggest bringing it back for the short term--to do good by early backers who felt forced to make their final answers ready before April 7 only to have the whole question put to them changed after the fact.

I do believe, though, that bringing back those incentives for the short term would probably make Portalarium more money than it would cost them.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

One of the things that was suggested was "Wagon" row houses... Were those to be made a reality, one could purchase a holdfast, divide it up into 74 row house lots... arrange them in neat rows, allow only the placement of said wagons, and have the first New Britannian trailer park. :)

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would like to be able to upgrade to Knight Marshal for $400 as a Knight Benefactor might rather than the $450 it will take me to do so now... but I'm still a founder, and will get the Founder and Benefactor rewards of every level below my tier. This hasn't changed. New Benefactors only get the Benefactor rewards whether they upgrade or purchase a ttier straight away.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  14. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

This made me giggle :D

15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Right, I understand that. That's cool and all. But if you are, say, a Knight, and you decide you want to upgrade to Lord strictly because you think the palantir thing plus the bonus Row lot together are really freaking cool, it kind of stinks you're now forced to pay up to $1,600 where before April 7 it was $1,500, especially when you think to yourself, "Hey, if these bonus rewards had been part of the pledges from the beginning, I would have gone to Lord back when it was $100 off!"

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I've already pointed out the financial penalty... and I find it distasteful, but not sufficient in and of itself to dissuade me from upgrading. I think it would be a magnanimous gesture on Planetarium's part to allow for the upgrade without the financial penalty.

I had thought your objection ran deeper than that. Evidently it bothers you more than I. Fair enough. We're of the same opinion... we're in violent agreement. :)

Amberraine, Crikey and Lord Trenyc like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Part of the Extra $100 you are paying is for those extra rewards though. Part of the bonus to those of us who went to Lord before then is we get those items without paying the extra $100.... seems fair to me.

18. Andrew Knightowl

Andrew Knightowl Avatar

My wife allows it i might get pay the extra money for Lord Marshal pledge >why just because i like the name(Title) :)

Soleidad, Amberraine and Time Lord like this.
  19. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Since they are into adding pledge rewards I suggest this:

Peasant pledge $0

-Wait till the game launches to buy it.

After buying the game you start with peasant rags and a wooden sword. (Requires future purchase of the game)

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What extra rewards?
    If I upgrade from Knight to Knight Marshal, the additional benefit is the same whether I'm a Founder or a Benefactor... As a Founder I just pay $50 more for the privledge.
    There are no Founder rewards at the Knight Marshal level to acquire.

Perhaps if the added some Founder level rewards at Knight Marshal and Lord Marshal levels to soften the blow it would be more palatable.
    Add a $50 Store Credit Gift Coupon (digital) as a Founder Knight Marshal reward and a $100 Store Credit Gift Coupon (digital) as a Founder Lord Marshal reward.

Lord Trenyc, how say you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.