1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Pledge Rewards, New Pledge Tiers, Player Owned Towns & Stretch Goal Store Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Too late. They already have Christmas trees and we don't even have a launched game!

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Let's remember medieval England. Christian crusades. Great Inquisition. Burning witches at stakes. Women with no rights.

A Texan is ruling England now? :D

How about we have only Pagan or Muslim or Buddhist symbols?

It's all one big can of worms when you introduce religion. If they want to sell the game to a limited crowd, they will have hit the mark with limiting it to Christian cathedrals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very spiritual and love the look of cathedrals of all types (been in most major religion's buildings). Meditated in medieval churches in Europe in fact.I always make a point to visit European holy places.

I'm no atheist, but I think game scope is what we're talking about here. Rather than personal interest, why not design something that's inclusive rather than exclusive?

Edit: Sorry Firelotus, saw your post after I wrote this. Tried to tie it into game design.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

SotA isn't like UO - or is different - because SotA tells a story and isn't just a sandbox game I guess ;)

4. Julz

Julz Avatar

Good points and I get where your coming from, it just saddens me I guess that we're so concerned about offending other religions and atheists that we would deliberately cut out churches and cathedrals from the SotA medieval architectural landscape. A landscape that in every other respect replicates Medieval English culture to near perfection. There clearly weren't Muslim or Buddhist structures in these settings but there absolutely were Pagan, Occult and Atheistic influences which people are less concerned with.

The crusades and other atrocities done in the name of religion have been quoted several times in this thread. People forget that more people have been killed under atheistic and evolution philosophies such as those in Nazi Germany and Russia. Like any institution there have been those who abused the church for their own personal agendas. It's true values and heart is seen in the vast majority of charities which they run.

danceswithstaplers likes this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

This is a whole other debate that isn't part of the design goals of the game. That is another can of worms I don't want to get into, but let's just say I disagree.

:)

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Nazi germany was atheist hahaha thats the funniest thing I heard in months :)

7. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I found it amusing too. In my healthcare practice, I've worked with an entire extended Russian family, who are deeply religious and had to flee Russia purely because they were religious. Their relatives were being killed right and left because of their religion. Religious war? Naw. lol

8. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I have to disagree - as far as I can see, all the descriptions of Add-On Store lots, regardless of size, say that they'll incur 'an in-game currency tax'.

I do agree that houses themselves appear to be tax-free, though, which is only right in my opinion as you need a lot to put them on and that may be taxed itself. I don't think it would be fair to tax someone twice for their living space, so hopefully houses bought with in-game money won't be taxed either, only the lot.

Jivalax Azon and Time Lord like this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

smack is referring to the "Town" deeds, not the "Lot" deeds.

It has been noted that the town deeds purchased in-game will incur a tax, which implies that the add-on store variety will not. :)

Time Lord and smack like this.
  10. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Ah, the actual 'player-owned towns' etc.? In that case, apologies to smack - I wasn't clear what he was referring to.

Although I've recently learned that something that might logically be implied from the wording in a dev post/update/whatever isn't necessarily the case, so it might be a good idea for 'scene owners' to get confirmation of that! :)

11. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yes, the "implies" is just that, an implication, since I don't off-hand have a dev reference to state it is so.

"Common-sense" would dictate that having a note saying in-game purchases will be taxed means conversely there is something that is not taxed.

However, as you noted, common-sense and the internet don't always play nice together. ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, no worries. I went ahead and edited my post to change it to "Land Lot deeds" and "Player-Town deeds" since it was ambiguous. Thanks. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Julz

Julz Avatar

I agree we are going off topic and happy to drop it, to clarify my comment however the ethnic cleansing that Nazi Germany embarked upon was targeting race not belief/faith. Their ambitions for a super race and their breeding programs were inspired by the theory of evolution not theology.

14. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Woah, what did I just walk into.

Sir Mike Dragon and Brian like this.
  15. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

A derailment of epic proportions!

Popcorn?

16. Julz

Julz Avatar

Haha, to be fair on me I didn't start it! I was just responding to pro-atheist anti-religion comments...

Won't say no to the popcorn though... :)

Tarsin likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Teleports" <---<<< the potentially hottest selling item in our add-on store...

Ever think of how you will be getting from your pledge home to your new added lot? A Teleport may be the answer we all are seeking. A set of 2 linked Teleports that can be sold in our online add-on store could provide not only a solution to such a question, but also provide another great $$$ making venture for our Portalarium.
    "Have a need to get to the guild house fast?" Teleports, the way of the future...
    Come and see "Teleports" appearing now in a mage tower near you, "Today"!

It's simple, it's needed, it need support with all our comments...
    "It's Teleports, because they fit into everything that needs your mobility to and from".
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Numa, Swanman, Lord Baldrith and 9 others like this.
  18. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Time Lord, I'd buy it.

19. Kvothe Kingkiller

Kvothe Kingkiller Avatar

I like the teleporter idea. Maybe tie it in to the Tesla towers in certain town. On the religion topic, why add real religious context? We already have Chaos and Virtues, and shrines to each individual one could be designed similar to certain religious styles if its really that important of an issue..... .....which its not.

20. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I'd buy teleporters, as long as they can be used in another account's house/lot as well... That way I could teleport between my house and my son's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.