Newbie quest adventurer

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Aldo, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Not being one much for quests, I have avoided them for the last 2+ years. But to start to get into the program, I have tried a few lately.

I am still confused about the Lord Enmar quest for medicine for Winslow. I have never found Lord Enmar. I did talk to Dreyfus upstairs (the guard captain) who sent me away for medicine for Winslow. I passed an injured guard on my way out, assuming that was he.

Upon obtaining the elixir to cure Winslow, I headed back to the guard headquarters, but the injured guy will not tell me his name nor will he accept the elixir. I guess this is not the injured Winslow that Dreyfus told me about.

Checking out my Journal under tasks it tells me to give the elixer to winslow, but does not say where he might be.

This is why I don't like quests. The quest developer can never guess how I will interpret or react to the instructions. The story line is looking less and less interesting to me. I can have fun with the game without all this hassle.

I probably am overlooking something.... will worry about it later. I sure would like to get this elixir out of my backpack though.

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

You need to give the herbs to the guy by the stairs, he'll give you what you need to further this quest.. it is a short one... I think you can take it from here (say 'herbs' to the guard.. if that one doesn't work, try the other guards) That gets you the elixir. I think he says to take it to Winslow, which due to a bug, he is walking around by the bed he should be laying in! So be wary of that.
    EDIT: I reread again, and see you have the Elixir made from the Herbs? Just give it to that guy walking around :)

Lord Enmar is the guy up the stairs I believe.. but these are old quests and haven't been updated for a long time, and won't be until later down the road. I find these quests need some love as well.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Your journal will usually give blatant hints as the key word or phrase you need to "say" to move the quest forward. For example I believe (relying on memory here so YMMV) you're told to say something about having medicine to Winslow.

4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yea, I do have the elixir in my backpack. I double click on all the npc in area and they will all respond except for the poor sick guy who just complains about the pain but will not interact. No big deal, but you would think that these beginner quests would be pretty much fleshed out by now. These are what the new people are going to come up against right away. All of us who have been around for so long do not try these quests any more, so unless a dev tries them they won't get fixed.

Miracle Dragon and Fister Magee like this.
  5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

There is no one in the guard house named Winslow as far as I can tell. The sick guy will not engage in conversation. Would anyone volunteer to try this quest out again to see if it is indeed broke? Also the journal entries are useless. They say to give the medicine to Winslow. They also say Lord Enmar talked to me which he did not.... Never seen the guy.

6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Maybe it is broke.. I did this quest before they put the bed update (the one that allows your avatar to lay in a bed) in which is what I think might have broke it (after this update, the guard would no longer lay in bed like he wa supposed to... i thought I saw a bug report about that once a while ago.. I'll see if I can find it.. but am fuzzy on that detail.. anyway, it's possible I have my details wrong as well.. I'd be interested to hear a more recent walkthrough? But I think once you have the Elixir, that is all thats left is to give it to Winslow, the sick guard, wherever he is.. sorry I'm not much more help than that currently, but I'll stop in Owl's Head and see if I can see who is who in my game..

Aldo likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I've had no luck finding what I think I remember :rolleyes: That is not a surprise in my world! I did find these:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ot-recognize-healing-herbs.43371/#post-482055
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/were-too-late-hes-dead.44886/#post-497757
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/winslow-is-fine.48392/

So I'm not sure what to make of it at the moment.. as those are old bugs.. but if they don't intend to do anything about the quests until Hidden Vale Revamp, you might be out of luck for now... but I am pretty sure I did the quest right after wipe... now when was that update about beds? hmmm.... *wanders off muttering to himself... reloads sota third time due to initial crash...*

Aldo and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Lord Enmar is the name upstairs.

Guard Captain Dreyfus is downstairs. He will tell you what phrase to use with Winslow. Off memory it is "I have your medicine". Try checking your journal.

Aldo, Miracle Dragon and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

As EnderAndrew said, Lord Enmar is the guy you said you talked to upstairs. The sick guy is indeed Winslow, and the guard near him downstairs is Dreyfus. Do you have nameplates on? (N), If I can get in-game, I'll try this out as I have not completed this quest this release yet.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

First of all thank you all for helping me with this. I admit it, I am a NOOB in questing. I asked the guy upstairs his name and sure enough it is the great lord Enmar. I finally used the word medicine and got a response from the sick guy. Sigh... no hope for me.

11. Miracle Dragon

Questing with text input is a skill like any other, it just takes practice! (and patience) :D Think of it as a sort of mystery to solve, and every NPC, every dialog, is full of clues - some of which may be very important to remember. It's certainly a different style from modern gameplay, but I hope it is one that will feel intriguing and satisfying in SotA. As early testers, we can help to make that happen!

As for Winslow's quest. How could it be improved? Certainly seeing him laying in bed would help to make it obvious he is the injured soldier. His armor should be off and set in the corner of the room or in a nearby dresser, and he should also have visible bandages and maybe some blood staining his clothes and skin. I think there should also be a medical practitioner watching over him. Owl's Head is a major city and home to a regimented guard and prison. It should have a medical doctor that regularly cares for the guards and prisoners!

I hope every quest will be reviewed and the question asked: Does this make sense in the world of New Britannia? Why/why not? Allowing players to act intuitively within the game's story as it is told to them is the best solution to these problems. I hope you are not discouraged from questing, as this thread could become a series which could be quite useful to the continued development of SotA. :D Keep it up!

smack and Aldo like this.
  12. Deemize

Deemize Avatar

Speaking of journals...is there any way yet to delete an entry?

13. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I would like to see a way to cancel out a given quest. The ones I am thinking of specifically are those mail delivery quests. Sometimes they want me to deliver mail on another part of the map I am not ready to go to yet. While there are other deliveries right on the same part of the map.

Miracle Dragon and Aldo like this.
  14. Beolthain

Beolthain Avatar

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Doing quests in SotA can be a chore. I don't like floating question marks or bread crumb trails to guide my way but there needs to be a better way to guide us through the quests.

One problem is that there are too many NPCs in the cities. In Ultima 7 we didn't have question marks above the heads of the NPCs but we still always knew where to go to and where to find them - although they did have schedules. Partly because there weren't too many NPCs around. In SotA it is a pain looking for the right NPC because there are way too many of them. Plus in a 3rd person 3D world it is hard orienting oneself. Also the towns are not distinct or special enough. Also most NPCs look the same which hopefully will change over the next releases.

I don't have a solution for this problem but I can see how it can turn players off from wanting to do the quests because they feel like hard work and not like having fun.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  16. Miracle Dragon

I think you hit the nail on the head with: They all look the same. Since all the NPC's (starting with story/questline NPCs) will get a unique look, I think that will make all the difference in finding them in the world. Perhaps they could have some unique clothing outfits too. (like how our StarWars storm trooper had blood on his helmet, to help us identify him as we followed him as a protagonist in the beginning of StarWars: The Force Awakens).

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  17. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

Questing with text input is a skill like any other, it just takes googling until you can figure it out enough to fake it.

(Fixed that for you)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.