Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night Sight Still Needs Work

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Ashlynn [Pax], Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If you have light cast on you, it breaks stealth instantly. However, if you're wearing a light source, stealth still works (but people can see an invisible light moving around). :)

If you are stealthed and use magic of almost any kind, stealth breaks. If you attack, stealth breaks.

So Night Vision is very helpful because it does keep people from seeing a light source (even when not stealthed). The new improved Night Vision Chris put out is fantastic. It's really a nice and welcome change.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Torch is the easiest and what you start with. It never runs out (Richard wants to change that) and gets the job done. Light is a step up from torch, leaves your hands free, has a brighter light, but has a duration. Night Vision let's you see any distance (not just stuff close to you), isn't visible to others (Stealthy!), but it's green, has a duration, and cost a fair amount of focus. Other option is to wear one of the items that glows. These are like a torch but a bit more dim but leave your hands free.

Oh, and the new option is a bit less practical but lots more fun, the Darklamp. It is a spot light instead of a point light.

majoria70, Kvow, KuBaTRiZeS and 3 others like this.
  3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I think the value is also overstated. The orb tends to flash in the camera blinding me and the range of light is pathetic.

4. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Torches should definitely have a life span. It's tradition! And maybe the spent torches could be used as wood salvage for crafting? I dunno. I still think a lantern that hangs from the belt or a mining helm would be awesome.

Oh, one great use for torches currently: Using them like lighters at concerts. The darklamps are also coming in handy as stage lighting. I wish there was a shadow puppet emote. :D

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yeah, I love the idea of torches having a life span.

Light being a step up from a torch seems to make a lot of sense, but currently doesn't seem to have a balanced cost for that step up.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I get that people expect green tinge to night sight because of all the NV (night vision) video from the military. I'm mean, I've used NVGs as well, so it feels normal to me, but natural night sight is actually in grey tones. If they could make that look good, it would nice, but I think muted colors would be even better. Contrast, even subdued, goes a long way to making us predators feel more comfortable in the darkness.

7. Womby

Womby Avatar

I wish the Darklamp could be placed on a shelf so I could use it as a spotlight. That would be great for plays, or highlighting something horrific in an otherwise pitch black dungeon.

8. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

+1 to that.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Then torches could be a craftable and salvageable item for wood scraps perhaps or sulphur if we have it in game ever. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. Palinor Tyne

Palinor Tyne Avatar

The September issue of Popular Science mentions the creation of a new chemical solution that can give humans night vision up to 50 feet. However, you see with a red tinge (IE can still recognize some other colors) instead of only green. The solution uses a chemical derivative similar to the chlorophyll derivative found in the eyes of deep-sea Dragonfish. Chlorophyll makes plants green because it absorbs all light except green which it reflects. While the article does not mention it, I suspect that eyes treated with the solution have a brilliant green appearance. Night vision goggles convert light into electrons and lose all color information. The phosphors on their screens are deliberately chosen to make green pictures because our eyes are more sensitive to green light. It's also easier to look at green screens for long periods than to look at black and white ones and they use less power than other screens. Since the Dragonfish night vision detects far-red light bordering on infra-red light this proves that the old idea of Elven Infravision was actually closer to the truth than anybody realized:D Elves in SOTA being magically genetically engineered creatures can easily have chlorophyll in their eyes while humans use magic to recreate the effect. If true bio night vision (infravision) was implemented (especially for an elven race) I would make it a brief short duration that would switch to green for longer human/player/screen friendly durations. Players would then have a brief vision of what their avatars would really see before being changed to eye-strain free green for his their own vision:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.