1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

No Macros or Botting Allowed of any kind

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

I think disabling "Use Free Attack" in game options should do the trick

2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Unfortunately this thread is chasing too many rabbits.

Lots of speculation of what was meant by the OP.
    It would be helpful if @DarkStarr responded to the thread with a clarification.

Getting this far from the original topic is not beneficial to anyone and will not get answers.
    Before this thread gets any further from the intended purpose clarification from Portalarium is needed.

FYI:

Macro: (short for "macroinstruction") Macros are used to make a sequence of computing instructions available to the programmer/gamer as a single program statement. They can be executed by a command or tied to a key sequence, icon or a number of other ways. They are called "macros" because a "big" block of code can be expanded from a "small" sequence of characters or key strokes.

Each of the Glyps on your combat bars are macros. Things like these commands /L or /Z or /kiss are macros. The Auto-Attack feature is a macro.
    Are these part of ALL 'macros'?

Botting: A bot is automation of gameplay. If you're not sitting there actively playing the avatar and it's performing actions without human interaction, that is a bot. (i.e. Auto-Attack)
    Are these part of ALL 'botting'?

Solazur, iansmellios and ThunderSAJ like this.
  3. Net

Net Avatar

I think we could have some "mini" wipe, that would bring skills down to 80? 100? and capped the xp gained by players to 10M xp? or 20M and remove all the xp and levels above that? It would not affect most people* it would at least partially solved people who got huge xp by explloiting the unbfinished game somehow though I admit it would probably hit few of the really dedicated players. It would not solve any of the gold exploiting though.

*Well they would have to level some skills again but if they did not have over 20M or so total XP, they would got their xp from those high level skills back to pool.

Sator Faryn and Stundorn like this.
  4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

If they did a wipe, I would quit.... I am lvl 77 and I got there the HARD way, by playing the game normally, putting in hours of game time, well because I can, and GRINDING ,,,,, I did not use any exploits, would not know how to lol. SO why punish me and others like myself because of the cheaters? That would be dumb.... and a huge mistake. Just ban the cheaters after warning them and they continue to cheat , and if they stop cheating and you know that they got where they are by cheating, then give them an option, 1. we ban you, or 2.you stay but we will remove a lot of your in game gold and push you back a few lvls etc , as to what we feel you earned from cheating the system. That would be fair ...

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

No, it actually modifies the behaviour of your dbl-click and the autoattack.. the two modes are fairly different with that checkbox.

Womby likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea lets stick it the players who play the most and assume everyone who plays the most cheated..

Hehe miss, alot of the macroers and botters are resource gathers. Start there ;) plz lets find a way to stick it to them (sarcasm/ the friendly kind).

Now if ur proposing perm hard caps sign me up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Vega3, Mac2 and iansmellios like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

They arent talking about macros you set up as hotkeys. They are talking about aitomating your character to play the game for you (auto-training skills, automatically gathering things etc)

Chatele, Numa and Govenor Ruin like this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

It's nice to get the 2017 version of this thread over with early in the year. I remember the 2016 version being as unhelpful.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Programming hotkeys is exactly what they're talking about when they say macro. Setting up a hotkey to burn through NPC conversations is what they're talking about when they say macro, same as a hotkey that lets you pound on a training dummy for hours at a time. Botting is what they mean when they're talking about the full automation of gameplay.

Reading the OP, the desired result looks to be that anyone playing the game must be present and interacting with game's UI, and nothing else.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  10. ThunderSAJ

ThunderSAJ Avatar

I would agree to a point. But when it is possible that you're dealing with large donors as the culprits. You forced to face a dilemma. "Game integrity or cash flow"
    What would be the driving factor in deciding on dealing out punishments for those that can afford $500 and $1000.00 keyboards and mice and high end macro programs who also donate the largest amounts to your game cause.

As i said before, its a hard place to be and to think on now that the Law has been placed down for all, but maybe not for all when it comes down to the nitty gritty.

iansmellios likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree, Im tired of this conversation coming back every 6 months. Portalarium should come up with a solution and finally put this dead horse to rest.

Move to cheaters to other games, be firm and clear in your policys dont create multiple lines in the sand.

12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Are you suggesting that players that are heavily invested don't have to worry about perma-bans? That would be the ultimate pay to win!

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  13. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Possibly this is true. There is a long history of many situations we could explore but ultimately it's a dead end.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  14. ThunderSAJ

ThunderSAJ Avatar

I think we would be naive to think it does not play a factor in the decisions of these "lines in the sand" as it has been called when the DEV team finds that a very high donor, hit the chopping block due to the rule that are suppose to be set for all.
    I honestly do feel that high donors will get more passes then those who buy a few COTO's here and there when they can afford them in real life and play normally. But maybe use a macro to process large amounts of leather or ingots or collect water.

I have seen no indications or statement to the contrary in any telethon or broadcasts. No foot being put down and saying "ok everyone, we need to all follow this or that during the development."
    The broadcasts focus on raising money to crowd fund the game. I cant complain, i do enjoy the game very much.

But to directly answer your question of me.
    Yes, In the back of my mind. I think that behind the scenes there will be a level or rules that are quietly kept for large donors. Whatever constitutes that, and those like me that can only do so much a month. But far more than any sub fee on a normal online game account will face the presure and foot down on our throats. As i freely admit. I will process resources in no other fashion unless they make that part of the game better.

mizztery and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just a small note here, we have seen a couple of persons who've had to sell off their accounts since they have lost game access. Seen up to Lord Marshal go that way.
    So blocking game access of high pledgers is real.
    Just an FYI if someone thought they could get a "get out of jail free" card that way.

...well. I've seen several hangouts where they have explicitly said "same rules applies for everyone" since this question is brought up about every quarter or so and as such gets brought up in the live sessions about every half a year or so.
    So when explicitly asked then that is what has been said.

Bodhbh Dearg, Hornpipe, Womby and 5 others like this.
  16. ThunderSAJ

ThunderSAJ Avatar

@Spoon

I agree fully with you.

My thoughts are possible scenarios behind the scenes. I like to trust that all police are honest men and woman. But as well all know that is also not the case.
    Say this is my server, I catch a macro of a high donor. And its his second warning. Am i really going to shut off that cash flow? Or go with another warning?
    All this being speculation but valid concerns from both sides of the table.

Thanks again for the Quest help ;)

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Closing topic, as we've gone way off-topic in the last few pages.

thoregundi, Sator Faryn, Onyx and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.