No Open PvP World :( Ds said it into Alpha Im MADDD.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Abydos, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Oh come on. First Ristra said:

Kickstarter uses the term "spiritual successor" and you're splitting hairs over what FRP really means.

SotA iu the "spiritual successor" to every FRP that RG has ever made.....right..........

It refers to all of them, but says this specifically "develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”."

The OP was hoping for that little phrase that I just highlighted. I don't think that's too hard to understand.

apoc01 and Juvez like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That is just not true.

The 2 main things that will get a thread blown up with arguing is all in full PvP and split servers. This will be a consensual PvP game and the meta server makes split server pointless.

Other than that, ideas can flow freely, but there are several regulars that can not accept those two facts.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I never ran across a PK that carried anything work risking. The miners the PK attacks has resources but the PK has nothing of value. Risk vs Reward is an illusion.

Jambot, NirAntae, skinned and 4 others like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Is that any different than approaching people that do not always want to PvP as carebears or what ever term people like to use?

NirAntae likes this.
  5. G Din

G Din Avatar

This is just all a mess. I'll go back to one of my old statements.

This game should have just been a Single Player RPG (Maybe CO-OP feature with friends)

Once you put RG + Online + Multiplayer + Ultima, the expectations get way out of hand and it will most likely never live up to the hype.

The main reason is, from the beginning, its was never clear what the game was going to be and offer.

"You can play anyway you want!" So the game has no identity or focus and 10 months later we have no freaking clue what this game will offer beyond decorating a house and some card game.

apoc01, Subotai, crachazz and 2 others like this.
  6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

There is fishing

NirAntae, Kct, Skalex and 3 others like this.
  7. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Anything can be bought, but for the sake of the argument on whether or not it's fair for "a play style" to receive special items. There will most likely be items only attainable by PvE players.

8. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I should've specified in the forums, not just this thread.

9. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

PvP involves everyone not just PKs. PKs carry what is necessary to fight. As does any PvPer.

If you expose yourself to random attacks, that is risk. That applies for people gathering resources as well.

10. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Let's avoid extremes and STOP wasting posts about the small stuff. Let's ignore dumb comments from both sides, no matter how relevant they may be. Just wastes space.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

The saving grace, if all else fails I will fish.

Caliya, Juvez and NRaas like this.
  12. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

In a dress.

NirAntae, Caliya and acrylic_300 like this.
  13. Owain

Owain Avatar

If miners failed to provide against the risk, that is not a failure of risk/reward, but rather a sign of their poor tactics.

14. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

The fault lies with the expectations you speak of - not the combinations you speak of.

Margard likes this.
  15. G Din

G Din Avatar

Umm, yea, thats what I said.

Add on to that, the Dev's team inability to make things clear and you have constant issues.

apoc01, Caliya, LoneStranger and 2 others like this.
  16. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I have to respectfully disagree here. I've seen quotes like that, or maybe that quote itself before, and thats just a subjective opinion.

You'll never see anything new from a player, and frequently other players specifically involved in PvP min/max so that it is actually more likely to only see the same abilities all the time from them as its the most 'efficient' way to play PvP. Power levels also come into play, where another player although they may have killed many many monsters will eventually reach a skill point cap and progress no further. Well crafted, challenging mobs will always give me more of a rush than fighting another player in an open environment. In an open environment where its factionless and open PvP it just becomes a case of as if I was wandering in an area full of generic mobs with special names, and you're not sure if it'll aggro you or not.

The only way that I can see player vs player being on an equal level of enjoyment is when there is a goal in play. I'm not talking about something like capture the flag, but something truly meaningful, like attacking an enemy guild's town, fighting through the streets and defenses, laying siege to the keep, and finally taking part in the overthrow and however we show its occurred.

But thats my subjective opinion, and everyone is free to disagree :)

Actually, not everyone is fine with that one, as it would be a hurdle many wouldn't be willing to cross. Portalarium's proposed Ransom system is an excellent compromise on full loot and no loot, as long as the value of the item is decided by the system so the killer can't just go 'Lol, 1,000,000 gold!'. Either way, I'm planning on going in my indestructible, unlootable backer and item store gear. :3

PvPers already have their 'reward' in being able to kill people in the PvP hexes. Isn't the rest just a bonus for them and a risk for the PvE?

And its easy to come up with ideas of 'risky' PvE environments that should give increased or unique rewards. One that I've experienced in another game that could easily be transposed across since we know the landscape is there. A certain type of ore is only available in geologically unsound, rather hot areas. IE. A Volcano. There could be a variety of hazards in place, such as lava flows, pits, geysers, rock falls, mobs with a fire-type elemental affinity. The 'risk vs reward' could also be further balanced between simple death from the variety of PvE death traps in the area, but also a chance that if you die to certain of the hazards there is a chance that any of the ore that you have gathered is lost. And unlike the PvP 'risk vs reward' system where some player always wins out because someone gets to keep the ore, the risk is higher in this PvE system because it would actually be destroyed and therefor out of the economy.

There, little to no effort coming up with that one, and I'd hope that it sounds fun, intriguing, nay... even dare call it 'challenging' in ways that jumping someone digging at a mountainside wouldn't be. Because you'd need to be on your toes to watch for the telltale signs of something about to go boom or jump you, and a real 'risk' of loss, that will always be there to 'challenge' you, as opposed to just wondering whether there'd be or not a random person turning up that likes to kill other people.

NirAntae, Xandra7 and NRaas like this.
  17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Have you tried this before? People that post like this will run rampant and start a cheer leading thread based on the extreme that will blow up into yet another locked PvP thread.

Point out the absurdity of the post and they move on.
    Tactics has nothing to do with it. It's A vs B, A brings nothing to the fight more than basic gear B is holding valuables.

In PvP tactics is key, in PK it's finding soft targets in hopes for a payout. (not all PvP is like this but it's one part that many wish to opt out of) Of course, this is all based on people thinking from the UO prism again, as gathers will have teeth in SotA. Crafting and Combat are split systems.

18. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

If there is no open world PvP except in tiny pockets and all other PvP in the world only by consent.
    The magic of selective multiplayer is lessened with me.
    It seems to me that if we don't even have an option to selectively play with others who selectively decide to play open PvP, why even have selective play?
    It's purpose then only becomes how many people you see around you.
    SPO = Just me.
    FPO = Me and Selected friends of mine.
    OPO = Me and People who are automatically my friends and can only be my enemy with my consent.

apoc01, NRaas and Juvez like this.
  19. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Everything is merely subjective opinion. Nothing is truth here.
    Everyone is right and everyone is wrong.

Juvez and Akeashar like this.
  20. G Din

G Din Avatar

Actually I'm always right and if you disagree with me.....go back to school fool :)

Caliya and Skalex like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.