No Open PvP World :( Ds said it into Alpha Im MADDD.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Abydos, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

So you are saying hey accepted an invitation to come to a free UO server to talk about SotA and while thy were there, they stated this was going to be a Open PvP Full Loot game right? No i don't think so.

2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Sittin' on the dock o' the bay, wastin' tiiiiii--iime.

apoc01 and Skalex like this.
  3. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Dont you think them making sure they only wenft onto the pvp shards n them stating this is successor to uo.. n also said It would be uo2 if ea didnt own the naming rights... dont you think thats sayin alot about the pvp situation... huh? Do you really think thousands of fans who feel betrayed just guessed it was gonna be pvp or do you think these kinda actions n sayings lead us to believe that..? Im done with you n the game so I dont care.. anyway these westernized games are horrible anymore..

apoc01 and lamersons like this.
  4. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

They have all mighty lord b himself, they mention UO in many interview, and how this game takes UO roots as a core, but from what i'm hearing and seeing , while diving deeper into community, it's just becomes more and more disapoiting for me. Another mmo clone...please don't, look at all this junk on the market !!! Why fix something that works for 16yr+ (im talking about ORIGIN's UO, thousants of free shards, constantly apearing new shards)

If you, lord b, is realy passionate about your life work, please dont screw it up. Bring a piece of joy to a thousants of UO fans. Im im asking alot ?:oops:

apoc01, Abydos and PaCOatlanticBaja like this.
  5. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Baaaaahahahaha.. That was a nice break there.. Things were getting tense.

Caliya likes this.
  6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Paco, Lamersons,

Go on your servers and tell people to come in here and state their opinions well.

7. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

I dont see how people from my server will help here ? I dont even want to spread a word about this game, at least yet. I'll get destroyed.

apoc01 likes this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Hm that would be devastating for me I guess... but lets wait for an official statement.

9. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I applaud you for doing your homework. :D

When you look at the spectrum of what I'm most looking forward to in the game, the storyline and the game world, social interactivity with other players trumps the PvP component. Now, the aspects of PvP that I am interested in, what a few of us refer to as 'Meaningful PvP', theres a likelihood that they'll be gated behind 'Guild Only' content. If there was an option to ally yourself with a Guild you're not part of during the warfare over ownership and control I would really enjoy that and I would actively take part in. From what Guild I might actually join? I'd like to join one of the PvE or RP guilds if they'd have me, but I haven't asked. I'm shy like that.

But would those changes make it likely bump any of the other items that I'm really looking forward to? Mmmm, dunno. Maybe. Might warrant the removal of simply PvP from the list but then I'd need something new to replace it with. (PvP behind gated resources will always remain tho)

Just because PvP is in the list of aspects of the game I'm less interested in, doesn't mean I'm not interested in taking part. If there was a way I could take part in Meaningful PvP once I hit the limits Skalex discussed in his post, then I would, or even sooner if theres something really cool going on. Its just that theres things I'm more interested in. As I alluded, as much as I personally dislike (understatement) gating unique resources behind PvP barriers, I'd still give it a shot. I'm terrible when it comes to collecting shinies. But to answer your question, even tho the latter hadn't been the case... My intentions in the threads? Being one of the moderate voices of people interested in PvE/Meaningful PvP with a PvE bias, and occasional devil's advocate. :)

And like it as not, PvP and its potential implementation affect people all over the spectrum, so everyone needs to be allowed to have a voice. Die Hard PvP, Hardcore PvE, those of us in the middle, either true neutral or biased one way or another. We've had people shouting from the extremes for one or the other. I'm all for people being able to flag themselves PvP in a way that doesn't impact those that don't want to be drawn into that form of conflict. I'm just not for free for all non-con which is what some of those on the extreme of one side are demanding, either the whole world or a greater part of it. I don't completely agree with all that the other side says either, and I've done brainstorming with some posters to try and figure out ways to close loopholes that would allow people to reap rewards without experiencing the content (even if I don't personally agree with the content, I'd still want it to work as intended)

Honestly, I'm most concerned at the moment about mixed messages being sent/received. I don't want people feeling they've wasted their money and aren't going to touch the game, and given that we seemed to have just received a rush of people (I assume off the back of one of the free shard events) I want them coming in and supporting the game based on actual certainties, not miscommunication or misinterpretation.

Sorry if thats kind of rambly, I get that way. :) You managed to knock me off course and cancel the big reply I'd been planning on doing to Skalex to address the questions at me personally. Speaking of which!

@Skalex - Totally hear from you about the min/maxing in PvE. Its one reason I hope that there isn't any raiding component, besides PvP sieges, and that any dungeons can be equally explored and experienced solo with NPCs if required, since raids are one of the main drivers in that particular mentality. They're 'Serious Business' @_@

Thanks for the laugh with the comments on my PvE scene idea. Made me think of Rainbow Dash. "Neat idea, but with PvP added it'd be 20% cooler!" :D

NRaas and Skalex like this.
  10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It was an interesting thought, to fish, in a dress, and sit on the dock of the bay.........in lieu of PvP. hehe

I'm no fan of old school UO PvP (hated it). But I think those who want it should be able to get it, at least to some degree.

Now, I understand that when Kickstarter said spiritual successor to (all his games, including UO), one might jump to the conclusion it meant old school PvP in UO - which, to my mind, has never really existed to that degree since before the Fel/Tram split, in any game. If it did, it seems people would be playing those games. But I never thought it meant old school PvP because PvP changed over the years in UO.

Now, most people like to blame EA for that, and not RG. Most people like to think that RG wanted exactly open/full loot PvP. Does he hide behind EA for that action, blame developers, or does he even care? Who really knows? He seems evasive on this issue, all too ready for other "outside" forces to take the heat for that decision.

What is it RG really wants? What is it the dev team really wants? Since it's been 10 or so months into the KS campaign and beyond, there is no clear and concise view on this matter. The game was in RGs head since at least 2011, and still no firm stance on this issue. Why is that?

I suspect it has to do with luring backers and not wanting people to run away. And with enough interest, perhaps there will be catering to PvP requests. I said it before & will say it again - one can only sit on the fence so long, or they will lose customers on both sides, or get a sore butt waiting out the donations still coming.

I dunno, if I had the chance to make more money, a sore butt might be desirable. hehe

apoc01 likes this.
  11. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

True passion should beat the material items. I not talking to work for free, but not to be coursing only for profit. In our world, in our time...dunno if its possible.

apoc01, Caliya and PaCOatlanticBaja like this.
  12. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Caliya shhh theres thousands that still play ols style uo its ther 3 biggest servers... n im not even adding siege witch is huge to.. from 97 till now we have plated with hundreds more free shards popping up everyday.. im not a pk or much into pvp. But it adds tons to the game n makes it a true sandbox freeworld.. the world it is now is called disney land for little girls.. n quit in 2 years when there bored while the pvp stay for 16 plus years.. dont talk unless you know what youre saying lol..

13. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

And dont say go play uo thenn cuz I could say to all u go play wow then..

14. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

@Caliya
    btw my wife have always hated any kind of pvp, she was always a crafter. But when she tried free pve shard, she admitted that she lost a big chunk of excitement for the game.

apoc01, Caliya and PaCOatlanticBaja like this.
  15. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I think there is more of a market for it now. Someone will claim to come up with a successor. I'm sure many more will follow and take peoples money now that the standard has been set.

16. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

Fair enough! I just wanted to see where you were coming from. I'm glad you didn't see it as an attack or something.

Akeashar likes this.
  17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Well I played UO for 10 years, was one of the early players starting in early 1998. I saw the progression over the years.

So you're saying the only kind of PvP that exists in any game is if you still play a free UO that utilizes the early UO PvP rules? I've played lots of games (usually single player, but some MMO over the years) and never saw open PvP full loot since early UO days.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I should not say, unequivocally, that I hate PvP. In the early UO days, I was in an anti-PK guild and learned to PvP. Then I joined the dark side (PK guild). Then went back to PvP for "fun" for awhile. Then pretty much gave up most of it, not liking the constant adrenaline rushes.

The game was never the same once they split Trammel & Fel, there should have been a "happy" medium before taking that action. But that's all water under the bridge to me.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Where is the risk to the PK?

20. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

"and never saw open PvP full loot since early UO days" - EA is that kind of company that has a layer of executives, that havent even seen the game itself. All they see is mathematics.

Clearly there is a demand for such a product as new-old UO, why not try ? There are many games that try to implement open pvp/open loot, i have most of them, but they are not nearly close to UO old standarts.

p.s "I played UO for 10 years" - will you be my best friend ?:cool:;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.