Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Open PvP feedback (R12)

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Net, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

What do you think I meant, Isaiah? What I was saying was that "consensual PvP" can easily become an excuse not to have a justice system, meaning that if you have a PvP flag, you're understood by the game as having "consented" to every attack made against you, and leaving no reason for people to be flagged as criminals. Or it could easily be an excuse not to balance the Open PvP environment in any number of ways. I think in order for Open PvP to be successful and popular, most of the time there needs to be a relative feeling of safety... and not have it treated as some type of "open arena dueling" flag.

Same thing for "PvP zones." Just because you're in a PvP zone shouldn't necessarily mean people who murder you shouldn't have consequences to murdering you, since you "consented" to being murdered.

Net, Themo Lock, Isaiah [MGT] and 2 others like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Ok so I'll throw this out there: we all know there isn't any justice system yet. We all know guards are not doing anything. We all know PvP isn't that meaningful in terms of lore, RP, or whatever else you value about PvP that hasn't been implemented yet. There's no loot system yet and that won't come for several more releases.

So why are you flagged Open PvP currently? If it's to test combat with other players, you can do that with duels or going to Forced PvP zones or PvP arenas.

The Devs know this yet have chosen to enable Open PvP. They, more than anyone, know from years of experience what Open PvP means without all those other supporting systems in place.

So wouldn't consenting to Open PvP now mean you accept all of the above conditions?

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would say criminal is if someone rolls up on you unprovoked, and attacks you, yes we flagged PVP but it goes back to the same thing PVP just because you can is a PKr aspect., which normally ends up a criminal act anywhere else. Now if i attack you for no reason then yes i would also be a criminal, but to defend in my position is not criminal, even though ive opened myself up for PVP anywhere. I flag that for the sense of danger that may be lurking at the skill trainer! (thats my opinion and why i pick PVP open)

Net likes this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

The big issue here is what is 'reasonable reason' to attack someone and how to track such behaviour in game, without griefers making you criminal by abusing such systems.

Imagine just fights for loot.

I kill a wolf, someone else loots it, can I kill him and get my loot back? Or at least discourage ghim for doing that ever again? Loot stealing is bad, so person killing the creature should get the privilleges to loot unless they want to become criminal?
    I do 90% damage a wolf, someone else kills it with ranged attack. I loot it, does it make me criminal? Hmm, how about person doing 50+% damage getting loot rights?
    I attack wolf, someone stacks glyphs for fireball and do 50+% damage to it, I find another wolf and he does it again, I cannot get 50+% damage on any creature now. Maybe the person attacking the creature first should have option to kill it and get rights to loot.
    I enter a scene and every creature has small amount of hp missing. If I kill anything and loots it, do I risk becoming a criminal?

Also what if people agree to a fight without using the duel option? Can we choose if we want person attacking us mark as criminal or not?

I think that we cannot have working justice system without GMs or selected palyers getting the roles of judges. Though just because humans are judges does not ensure that justice system will work.

Themo Lock and blaquerogue like this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

At that point i would aggro the monsters onto him! all of them! :) no criminal charges on that! lol

Net likes this.
  6. Borg

Borg Avatar

I cant understand your concerns about open PVP, it seems like you didnt play UO. In UO it was so easy to know which actions would mark you as criminal.
    The only task PVP flag has is to let people live in an open PVP world.
    Now just imagine the PVP tag wasn't there...
    In an open PVP world attacking another player for no reason is a criminal act.
    Looting a corpse that you didnt kill before killer permission expired is a criminal act.
    Duel option is there exactly to avoid get marked as criminal.
    So where is the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.