Open pvp server

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Duke William of Serenite, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artariel

Artariel Avatar

This is not what we are actually meaning by open PvP. Why on earth would a crafter flag himself as PvP? Or a party of people killing a boss? There is no meaning of Open PvP if you can safely farm anything anytime, it is called Duelling and you can also do it in WoW.

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, since you asked : Because it is entertaining to do so on occasion ?

I enjoy a good old runaround now and then just as much as the next chap, so flagging for PvP provides that option for me.

It's not everyone's cup-of-tea though, and therefore the option is available for them not to participate in that manner.

Of course: In actuality, it is not the vast majorities cup-of-tea, hence why it is so common in most games, and so popular for the wee starving developers to choose that approach. :)

docdoom77 likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why would you wish to involve someone in your game and style of play that has no desire to participate?

4. mad toxic frog

mad toxic frog Avatar

tbh shroud doesn't need to reinvent the wheel here. what they are doing is cool, but they are trying to reinvent everything which will end up failing imo. separate severs like pvp/pve can give players a option, some poeple just want to run around knowing they can kill everyone and some players can not. Example, wow severs have pve severs which has pvp on it, its just not open. Now on there pvp severs it is open and there are groups which do quests/pve stuff all the time. this however is wow and not shroud of the avatar but it is very successful and covers a wide spectrum of how people would like to play. with that said i'm all for a open pvp, I want the feeling of knowing that anything can happy. not just be like "hey wanna fight" "nah not really go find someone else" "okay". because i assure this will happen unless both players want to pvp, you have to go to the specific pvp areas to do so.

5. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

paradigm shift...

[​IMG]

...the white shadow!

6. evilgrin

evilgrin Avatar

That isn't open pvp, that exists in lots of other games, and 99% of the people never flag.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

If 99% won't flag, there is no demand, so why waste time with a separate PvP server? If Open PvP is handled by Selective Multiplayer, then Open PvP will find its own level according to the demand that exists.

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I have 3 chars, #1 is a crafter, #2 is a collector, #3 is a pvper. They all live in the same house. 1,2 will never see any pvp's unless in a neutral zone. #3 (may he rest in peace) will never see any crafters/collectors unless in a neutral zone. I can even go to the exact same spots with each character & play in my playstyle & not be forced to play in anothers playstyle
    Why on Britannia would I ever want multiple physical servers, that's SOOOO 1999. I would need separate accounts, couldn't share stuff between characters. etc etc

I think some people just don't 'get' the awesome that is Sota

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What? You don't think crafters like to PvP? In SotA, crafters can have teeth.

10. mad toxic frog

mad toxic frog Avatar

99% people wont flag because there wouldn't be a need to.. why risk getting your stuff taken when you can stay unflagged and go farm. and "If 99% won't flag, there is no demand, so why waste time with a separate PvP server" that will separate the low amount a pvpers with each other so problem solved. you dont have to deal with us and we wont have to deal with you.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Have you read the loot system? There is no risk of getting your stuff taken.

12. mad toxic frog

mad toxic frog Avatar

yes there is, its 50 percent or something like that where a bit of stuff you have drops.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

• Loot & Ransoms: Our initial plan is when killed by another PVP player, a random item(s) is selected from the player’s inventory (50% equipped / 50% from inventory). The dead player is given a “Player X will take Y unless you pay a ransom of Z” where Z is based on the dead player’s level and the value of the item. You get the option to let them have the item, or pay the ransom. The ransom can be paid from bank funds (and possibly Guild funds). The default for this can be set to “Yes” if a player chooses. We also think that this exchange would have a 1 hour timer till it is final, so the dead player has time to assemble funds. For group PVP, this would use the same sorting algorithms as party loot. We want to explore various options that include providing the killer a list of items to choose vs. selecting only one and/or varying the number of items based on circumstance (i.e. Blessed PVP players might be able to loot more from each other). We will have to put in checks to keep people from gaming this system by loading their inventory with worthless items or running around naked except for reagents. One possible check could be that if there is no loot of X value the loser automatically has to pay ransom.
    The 50% is for location not number of items. The items not lost if you pay a ransom. So no risk of losing your stuff.

Koldar and docdoom77 like this.
  14. Dryxaline

Dryxaline Avatar

I agree with you, why not let people pvp when they want, and on even ground, have specific pvp zones where you know what you're going there for. What the pk'ers want to do is grief people, they want to be able to rob and loot players who don't like pvp and take their stuff with out having to earn it. Unfortunately most open pvp games are filled with this kind of player. It's just nonstop, and one of the most annoying things i've ever encountered in the gaming world.

I like pvp, but i also like to participate in crafting etc. without worrying about some one coming and slaughtering me while at the crafting table. lol.

Consensual pvp is an absolute must, and i for one am very happy they are making it that way.

15. mad toxic frog

mad toxic frog Avatar

so bassically this is like the os version of uo where yo ucan insure your items... well that is boring no point in pvping, so now this is bassically just a pve game. whatever that sucks. ill just move on to something else now.

jondavis likes this.
  16. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

OK Here it goes... I'll just say I'm opposed to having multiple servers, and hope I don't get moderated for breaking a rule. *fingers crossed*

Koldar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Have fun. I hope you find what you're looking for. Have a nice life.

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What possible rule could you have broken?

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I just went over to the star citizen forums where people are freaking out and spreading FUD about a 50 million dollar game's success and it's actually refreshing to come back here where we are just arguing over whether it should be forced PVP or not lol

20. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

Be not a troll ofc.

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.