Opening scene and video extreme disconnect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tonotrigger, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

The opening scene has nothing to do with the teaser video, the game window music or the emotion of shroud of the avatar. It's red, it's ugly, and it's on fire. Worst of all, it's random. I searched a little bit to see if anyone else posted on this, but it's a huge turn off. Maybe I'm just expecting too much too soon, but I haven't been able to get over this opening scene since it was introduced.

I just don't understand the sentiment behind it. You want me to train sword fighting for the first time while a house burns down? This opening scene is the very definition of an anxiety attack.

I mean if it's the first time I've ever played the game, and I have a house to place in my account. I should be greeted with house placement so I can orient myself in the world. There's nothing wrong with the scene honestly, it's just an awful lot going on for a first date.

There needs to be a bait and a hook in the first few minutes of the game and this feels more like a wall (of fire).

Epona, Sir Cabirus, Tarsin and 4 others like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Tonoqrigger.

No doubt you are right. But maybe it is just a placeholder scene to test the NPC conversation/quest system while content development happens?

Duchess Wyldemane and smack like this.
  3. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Welcome Tonotrigger,

That scene was made some time ago for particular new systems that had come on line . Right now its just a place to get some items , Sword,shield and some gold ...... it was created before we could look around and walk around freely. The honest truth is They are spending time moving forward with systems, content and it takes quite awhile to come back and work on things that are not hurting, breaking or causing some other problem.

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome tonotrigger!

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree that the scene as it is now is not release material. But I don't think it's ugly :) I love the way the burning Solace Bridge scene looks, and a lot of work has been put into it since I first saw it back in October. I think the scene will play a role in the released game, but I expect the new player experience will be different than it is now when the game is released.

6. tonotrigger

tonotrigger Avatar

Thanks for the welcomes! I certainly understand the importance of place holders in any game, especially one this huge.

From the opening video, I'm expecting it to begin in a library pouring over manuscripts, or something that showcases what makes Shroud different from other games.

The opening video sets many expectations for players that should be met, or at least seem as though they are being met each step of the way.

There is just so much research and good information about what makes an experience sticky, especially in a game that I have no doubt we'll be playing habitually nearly every day. As a lone wolf getting started in this game is strangely repelling, the moment I'm greeted by Edvard, the drums, and the blaze.

Aldo, Epona, Sir Cabirus and 5 others like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Great comments, tonotrigger. There is definitely a disconnect between the opening cinematic and your first experience in the world. That is intentional. They are holding back the introductory sequence for story reasons. It's rumored that the sequence will at the very least involve the "Island of Choices", which was teased at in Update #87. Also note that you start off at Level 5, so again there is a definite intentional gap. It's also been said that based on that introductory sequence, you may end up in different locations around the world when you start the game. It's unknown if they'll re-use Solace Bridge as it is currently (presumably burned down after a siege from the main enemy in the game), but if so I'm guessing it will depend on story and your choices.

And regarding any player-housing you may have as a pledge reward or purchase from the add-on store, don't expect start there. You may have to travel to your property (chosen during lot selection sequence process) depending on where you start in the world.

So I also hope there is a cohesive story sequence from cinematic all the way through to when you enter into the game world itself and simply start playing.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

You make a great point tonotrigger! I think it would be great if we could start the game sitting at our computer and seeing all this and then being pulled in and some kind of intro telling how we ended up with our rewards....or just a generic explanation based on answering a few questions so it kind of fits what your character will be like in the world :)

Yes more work, but also more awesome :)

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome tonotrigger. I am hoping for a new and improved trailer. I am not a big fan of much of the trailer. This is my opinion but I feel it is too much like an info commercial. I think less emphasis could be made on it being made by the creator of Ultima and UO stuff, perhaps a mention of that if they must, but not such a big deal and more on the aspects of Shroud of the Avatar itself and the adventures of this game.:)

10. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

There's also the need to present a tutorial of some sort to the new players. Something they can use to learn the game basics (movement, fight, interaction, the deck, loot, cross-scene movement, etc.). I guess giving an emergency situation where you have to learn the ropes in a "controlled" environment is more appropriate than teleporting to your pledge reward castle, and leave you wondering what the commands of the game may be.

11. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Welcome Tonotrigger!

Great points and I agree with you too. I am pretty sure that the opening is going to change at some point, I believe it's just a placeholder and we have surprises waiting for us in the future. I hope so anyway :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Themystro1

Themystro1 Avatar

I was so thrown by the audio problems, I had to watch the cinematic a second time. It's in Mono, but somehow panned to the left side, it sounds like someone did not encode the audio properly.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that the tutorial should be presented in a different matter. We could find a defective watcher who accompanies us and gives hints during the first scene. At the end of the tutorial it gets destroyed.
    Also I agree, why should we pratice sword fighting while everything around us is burning down and maybe some people might still be alive and need help...

Epona and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Welcome to the game and the community tonotrigger. I think Port will change the opening scene - after the scene with Arabella, which is great imho - in the process of developing. BTW - I like the suggestions Lord_Darkmoon made.

Epona and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  15. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

We have two new opening scenes and they're along the same lines.

You're surrounded by dead bodies and burning buildings and you're encouraged to stop and practice with a dummy.

It is a virtue hit to take things from the corpses and yet the scenes encourage it and the Highvale scene requires it.

Epona likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Yeah, I agree. Entering the world in a scene of chaos is ok to set the stage for something, but there needs to be more than looting corpses. Maybe that's coming in future releases.

For example, Highvale's burning bridge creates a story opportunity. The scene could be about choosing the act of Courage to run across the burning bridge to save the dying knight in the flames (instead of where he is now). Then an NPC could be at the gate recognizing you for either taking the path of courage to rescue the dying knight or taking the easy path that involved no courage at all and sending you back. The Oracle could later comment on that choice too.

How about Solace Bridge? What's the potential Love story there?

enderandrew and Epona like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.