Organizing the first player-run city with a crafting and trading theme

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Jatvardur, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I plan to have mine available to the public as well. Im above Lord Marshall with my account and may bounce up my wife's from Lord to Lord Marshall, regardless of how they end up whatever crafting stations i have are at your disposal. Further, ill defer to your judgement when it comes to what crafting stations to pick.

2. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

We can see how it goes. Closer to launch we will know what pledge everyone is and what everyone can donate. Obviously, it greatly helps that you and perhaps others can make their crafting stations open to the public. I actually wonder if this will be the norm. It will be worth you placing your stations somewhere centrally within your town, as I'm planning to do in mine.

Update post will come tonight (I think).

mbomber likes this.
  3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

=== Agenda ===​
    Thanks to mbomber -- Hamlet added​
    Welcome and thanks to Atogrim -- Holdfast added​
    Naming - Vanguard Republic​
    R12 - guild founded in game​
    R13 events - learn to gather / learn to craft​
    R13 - Books Testing​
    ==*===***===*==​

Thanks to mbomber -- Hamlet added
    Many thanks to @mbomber for purchasing a Hamlet and joining it under the same banner. This is great news for players who wish to join our guild or our nation. The design principles will be the same and there will be cross management. More details in the future.

Thanks to Atogrim -- Holdfast added
    Many thanks to @Atogrim for recently joining SotA (Willkommen!) and for purchasing a Holdfast. He will also be joining our guild and nation.
    With all towns combined we will have an equivalent size to a city which is great. It also puts us close to the target I've had for a while: hit metro. As above, this town will follow the same design principles and will have some cross management.

Naming - Vanguard Republic
    So in the last month I've been moving forward with the name Vanguard. In the last week two more towns have joined as I just mentioned so it makes sense to increase the "scope" of the name. We aren't just one town any more. Tentatively I've gone with "Vanguard Republic" but I don't think that is entirely fitting.

Kingdom wouldn't work since LB is the King. Empire doesn't work for similar reasons. Not sure I like Federation or Confederation either.

I don't want to use Duchy as the top level noun since if several players at Duke level contribute a town then each town would form it's own Duchy (naturally). Similar applies if a player joins who is a LOTM and could use Grand Duchy or Principality.

@Spoon has suggested Ascendancy or a derivation of Hanseatic League. The former sounds cool while the latter is trade related.
    Feel free to thow out ideas or comment on the current names.

R12 - guild founded in game
    During R12 I spent 25k gold and created the guild. The guild and town are separate entities but run under by the same organization. There is expected to be overlap but there is no obligation to join both.

Thread:
    RSFIE : Guild for Crafters, Gatherers & Merchants

Picture of the founding:
    [​IMG]

R13 events - learn to gather / learn to craft
    In R13 I am hoping to run two different types of event. These are named "Learn to gather" and "Learn to craft". These are pitched at new characters but open to all who want to attend / help. As you can guess the idea is to help new players get started with the gathering and crafting skills. At the moment both are perhaps a bit intimidating, especially the latter. I've just started to put information together for the gathering event and will post more details closer to R13. If you want to help out then post here and / or send me a PM.

Details coming soon!

R13 - book testing
    Books will be released in R13 and I really want to test out the functionality I've proposed on the guild website and in the following thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/r12-testing-books-as-contracts.16732/

I've updated this book thread with a new idea on "Intelligence brokering". I think it sounds pretty cool. :cool:

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, thank you for the nice welcome!
    And of course my city will stick with the rules the VR has set up.
    I will lay out the specific idea for my city later on in a seperate posting in the town forum.
    Still didn't make up my mind about the name for example ;-)

About the name.....i like the sound of League.
    I am sure we can come up with something hehe.

mbomber likes this.
  5. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You are free to pick the name of your town of course. Likewise for layout and map placement. It would be worth having some discussion on this before we finalize though. :)

You could probably also chose to be PvP or not. Given that I'm opting for the standard rule set (I hope!) then PvP will be consensual in my town, then it shouldn't be a worry if you wanted to force PvP. That said, I opted for the standards rules such that trade will not be disrupted for the majority of players, while allowing pvpers to continue with life as normal.

Atogrim and mbomber like this.
  6. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I watched the stream-a-thon discussion about POT yesterday during a rare quiet period at work. While I do wish we had more specifics considering the amount of money we are investing I am mostly optimistic and hopeful about what I heard.

7. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I am giving serious thought to expanding my village to a town or perhaps a city tomorrow. I like the feeling of smaller POT but like the additional NPC buildings that the larger ones have.

Jatvardur and Atogrim like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Thats why i will maybe Upgrade to a Hamlet. 2 npc buildings.
    But not more i guess. I am sure running stuff thats bigger as a crossroad will be a fulltimejob.

mbomber likes this.
  9. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

That is a good point and a worry. The smaller size is really all i need. But... The NPC buildings might be useful to us. I plan to visit your POT and Jatvardur's frequently. Perhaps we could coordinate what NPC buildings we pick?

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I think we should, yes.
    But it depends on the System they will use to connect citys and the distance it can cover.
    On the other hand: Kings Port is connected to the other side of the Worldmap so i guess we don't have to worry about that.

Jatvardur and mbomber like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you are focusing on trade then you will pretty much all have to have at least 1 Bank for your citizens conveniance.
    So a holdfast focused on trade doesn't have that much choice really.

For someone with limited time but an unlimited wallet I'd make an upgrade, and to compensate, make the lot size selection bigger. That way the overhead for the owner will be less since it means fewer points-of-contact, while it gives the opportunity to accomodate more guild-like set-ups sharing a larger lot. This delegates responsibility from the POT owner to the 'guilds'.

For instance running a holdfast with 20 row, 8 village, 4 town
    is 32 points of contact
    running a crossroads with 8 village 24 town
    is 32 points of contact

However, of course, a wallet isn't unlimited, me looking at only the stats for POTs would say that most bang for buck, in terms of what you get per $, is Hamlet, Crossroads or Metropolis.

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Damn good point. I always forget that the POT owner can choose the lotsize.
    Then Hamlet it is for me.
    About the Bank you are of course right.
    If just one of the connected citys has a bank people will only be in that city.

mbomber likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Glad to help as always and eagerly awaiting trading deals with all of you for Lux Sanctuary. I've had several dispatches of ideas with @Jatvardur.

It will cost you a mug of mead in the game of course, preferably in a hot steaming bath with glad company of your esteemed selves.

(or whatever the plural of self is in this mongrel of a language ;) , (yes - its an Eddie Izzard reference...))

mbomber, Atogrim and Jatvardur like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Thehe...
    I actually bought the hotube as add on.
    Normaly i don't fall for stuff like that but in this case i couldnt resist.
    Well then i am courious what Jad and you have planned already.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Plans? What plans? I've never heard anything about any plans.
    *lights up the halo, looking all innocent*
    Who needs plans when there is scheming?

Atogrim and Jatvardur like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Me, I bought some hot tubs instead:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lux-sanctuary.15447/page-2#post-266284
    The hotube would get me in too much trouble with my lovely wife...
    Although I could see the allure for a certain kind of clientele.
    Falling in hot tubs is a dangerous thing, they are slippery.
    But I couldn't even imagine what falling into a hotube would result in, well I might be able to imagine but it is better if we don't go there.

17. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I decided to upgrade to a city. Cities seem to be the least popular POTs and for variety sake i thought why not, although the town and cross road village size seem ideal to me if i judge only by size. The extra NPC tipped me over. Also we now have a range of sizes available in our guild and league of like minded crafting and trading players.

Tahru and Jatvardur like this.
  18. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

To all the members of the Vanguard Republic - congratulations on your commitment and continued growth.

19. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

Management can be split across the three of us, and perhaps other trusted players. So we don't have to be put off by larger town sizes.

We will definitely have coordination in the buildings we pick. I think there will be enough leniency that we don't all have to have the same buildings. As Spoon said, we will need a bank in each time but beyond that we can more relaxed. Easier to know once we have more details.

Some town groups are intending to place all their towns close together. Not sure if that's going to be like an instance-within-an-instance (like entering a cave from a forest map) or just close together on the world map.

There is also the option of spreading out across the map and then linking up with the boats (as best we can). I don't think we need to have all towns linked so rigidly to have a coherent presence.

Literally lawled.

Many thanks! Again! We have a growing presence in SotA and I expect that we will be successful in our endeavours.

Thanks for the interest. We hope you will visit us regularly. :) If you want to have a lot too that would be great.

mbomber likes this.
  20. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I also like the sound of League, but ill be happy with anything you other folks choose. I would like to call my own city Kelfazin and have it in a swamp setting, a physically large but less desirable place to live compared to our other locations. I also find the idea of embassies and working with other POT and guilds very interesting. I tend to enjoy support roles in these games. Healers and crafting for others, i find gathering relaxing often after an annoying day of work in real life. I'm hoping PVP players, guilds and POTs and adventurers and role players that prefer to spend their in game time doing things other than gathering and crafting will trade with us and desire to develop mutually beneficial relations with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.