Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

run through the forests not the grass where you are. You will see creatures running around chasing you. And it has always been pitched a single player game you can play online with your friends from the kickstarter. I do not like responding to you that much because you are basically just trolling and emotional instead of factual.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Give us the Overworld encounters when they are ready, some might be worthwhile - who knows - but give us back the R33 speeds.

But remember, I believe you (Port) said that they would be on the Overworld so that we could choose whether to go in or not - so please hold true to that.

But once again, none of that is reason to make us go slooooo on the Overworld when we are simply running up there to join our friends.

docdoom77 likes this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

provide a link or its just crap.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So, my dislike for boredom on the Overworld is somehow "emotional" ? That's novel.

Oh, and as for facts, you might want to check the facts that I quoted in my last post, where I quoted the Kickstarter where Port stated this:
    "Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player"

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

He's not playing the game that is the pic from the wiki about the 1987 remake of ultimate 3 the PC version was better. Those console games were horrible.

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

those console games is why many backers pledged. You have your opinion of course but the kickstarter was all about revisiting those games. The average age of the people playing sota is 40+, the same people that backed this game for the nostalgia that you say is crap.

=

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I'm tiring of this conversation.... It's going nowhere.

Let me conclude by saying this.

For the Single Player - "unknown" - Overworld encounters would be great.

But for those of us who use the Overworld primarily (as in always) as the means by which we get together in another part of Novia, let us get thru the Overworld as quickly as possible.

I see no reason why Port couldn't accommodate the both of these 2 modes.

Single Player = No avoidance of Overworld encounters for the immersion value.
    Friends/Multi=Avoidance of Overworld encounters for the sake of meeting up with our friends half way over the world.

Problem solved.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am not here to go tit for tat with you on this. Its ok, you can keep on keepin on.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

As can you.... :cool:

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, what I see is a thread that's turned into a really boring argument between people arguing immersion vs. tedium. Its a frickin' ideological debate. And this happens in a lot of threads.

There's a reason Port is doing this, which has been mentioned. The reason is linked to a vision they laid out in Kickstarter, one which a lot of people pledged for. Even if you agree with all the reasons for it, there's no reason you have to be happy with the current way its implemented. I've criticized it myself. I've said right now the shift in speed feels unnatural, like the game is arbitrarily grinding you to a halt.

But pissing on the people who were expecting things like roving encounters this based on what they pledged for in Kickstarter seems like an awful way to have a constructive discussion.

Yea... collecting 5,000 ore doesn't really sound like fun gameplay in the first place. How many hours of zombie walking in circles around a scene, mindlessly double-clicking nodes, did that take? :D But its good in the end for the game that it can't be easily teleported anywhere, and that there will be hazards transporting it, I think.

Btw, from personal experience, it helps a lot to take more than one trip and not do it all at once ;)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Your probably right about pissing on things I'll take your word for it though. but, some times when people build a glass house full of expectations and they start throwing stones, people will pick them up and throw them back.

This is not ideological, it is gameplay, some like and some dislike. Some are being constructive with alternative ideas and some are trying to shame and derail.... Hmmmmm..... What were your thoughts on this again? Ohh yeah I am just trolling...

FrostII likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Stop trolling ;)

Seriously though, I don't think options are a good solution so disagree...

13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

So other options that were put out there...

I don't think anyone disagrees with the slowdown with certain terrain it's more about the overall speed.

Put people at speed as if they had mounts now, then when mounts are developed and implemented slow the walking down and keep horse travel where it is.

Add more roads to all the towns.

Fix the encounters first

I know there was more....were there any suggestions during this entirely too long thread that can be agreed upon?

Aord and FrostII like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

What's not fun for one is fun for another.
    So who has the saying in what feature will be in the game?
    I like the different speed on the overland map as this adds to Immersion and for me immersion is an integral part of any game. Others think it is annoying. So they demand that this feature is removed.
    Now I think that there are other parts of SotA which I think are annoying. Shall I demand that they are removed, too?
    Who gets to determine what is fun and what is not?

Jens_T likes this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Hopefully we all do.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So what ? It's your way or the highway ?
    Nice compromise.........

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah, its the devs way or the highway. I'm not making the game. And this isn't a negotiation, its people giving their opinions.

18. Aord

Aord Avatar

What devs should do (as different persons have already mentioned earlier in this loooong thread):

1) smooth out the invisible "borders" on the roads where the game decides you stepped into a mud pool and grinds you to a halt. One step to the side should not result in immediate 100% speed drop, this is not immersion
    2) speed drop should not affect those who are mounted (using coconuts atm)
    3) turn 100% speed drop into a 30% one and make it full 100% the day you add true mounts to the game. It will be fair.

19. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I'm personally fine with the speed change, but they need to make some improvements to it:
    1. widen the area in which you're considered on a road for some of the roads. Some areas of some roads seem to be extremely narrow which causes slow-downs despite it visibly looking like you're on the road.
    2. add more roads. There are some POTs and other scenes that are completely off of any roads. This is unfair to POT owners who happen to have their POT located far from any roads and also discourages traveling to and exploring scenes that have no nearby roads.
    3. add footpaths in highly traveled areas that are slightly slower than roads, but not as slow as walking through grassland. Think about it realistically... if many players are frequently walking through these areas, then footpaths would naturally develop just because of the foot traffic. Such as for the narrow mountain pass that many players use to get from Etceter to Ardoris or vice versa to avoid having to load into Brightbone Pass. Use heatmaps of Overland Map travel to determine where these footpaths should be.
    Edit: Now if only I could use my strength buffs while on the overland map so that I could get rid of that annoying encumbrance. I have 142 strength when buffed lol, but only like 70 unbuffed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  20. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm just baffled they bothered to put that in and leave it on without the other systems (like the encounters) in place. What was the point of turning it off in the first time?

Alexander likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.