Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stadulator

Stadulator Avatar

The same thing is happening to Star Citizen. Too many "give me all and make it fast and easy" gamers these days

Kambrius, Tahru and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

for me and one of the reasons I fight so hard for what I believe in is because this is one one of the last games I thought would succumb to the modern MMO borg groupthink. I guess to me it is important to understand the idea of creativity and being able to think through problems and solve them is important. So much resistance to this and I fear that the old school gaming (in which many people pledged for in this game) is gone. I will not die quietly.

Kambrius likes this.
  3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Not one of these posts ever said take you boredom away, every one I read asked to let us not be bored and give the boring option to people that want it. I'm tired of hearing how people want things easy, no I want things fun and exciting and I do want it to take skill to accomplish. Walking in circles looking for random spawns at a slow pace is none of that. No skill, no fun, no immersion. It's a nostalgic long dead technique that they invented back in the days of a 286 PC. It stopped for a reason so let's try, like you said, to be creative and find new and fun ways to play a game together that everyone can enjoy. Not just the ones that want to recapture the extreme monotony Of a 1990 game.

docdoom77, Cally and FrostII like this.
  4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you fail to mention that what you just said is your opinion, and not fact. You can state that you feel this way and that is fine. Don't include me in your absolution theory. What you consider long dead and nostalgic is what funded this game IMO. Speak for yourself and provide facts if you speak for others is all I am asking. Otherwise your whole notion is based on your feelings, as mine is as well. I do believe in the time when people had to think for themselves and be creative is far superior to the lemming/borg/hive mind mentality that is going on now. That is MY OPINION.

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I do believe in these conversations most people understand, without being said, that everything is a matter of opinion as everything here including the lemming mentality is a matter of someone's perspective and life experiences.

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with this time when people thought for themselves as coding and PC power seriously limited the actions of the player and the responses. In that time you did not have to think for yourself you had to solve a puzzle that the developer put in front of you, and think like him. Today's games allow for more than just one path and allow people to build a world on the screen. Trying to stifle that by calling people that think different than you just sheep following the herd is a little much.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

see, you are putting words in my mouth trying to diminish me. I am not trying to stifle anything, I am trying to get people to think. I am really sad when I think that developers put all the time and effort into a game to make immersion, to create recipes, to add discovery to a game only to have a 3rd party website dash away all the creativity in a second. It breaks my heart because the majority of players play games now days in order to reach and endgame, looking for more content like a plague of locusts. they bypass all the content that is there, power level past content, to do the high end content, only to be bored. Then they blame the company that there is no more content. They did not enjoy the journey, they did not enjoy the game, they just followed like lemmings after the people that get satisfaction thinking they are helping the game. These people are hurting the game and do not even realize it. Let people think, let them explore. But alas, it is lost to this generation. They want to turn this game into every other mmo out there, and they will leave after 2 months because they are bored. They are bored right now in the beginning, and they will be bored later, because they did not enjoy the journey, what the game intended them to do.

7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

I always thought paths were meaningless in past releases. Now they aren't. Awesome!

8. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

I am one of those "immersion seekers" who wants things to be as realistic as possible. I enjoy challenge. I do not like the overworld slow-down. All the immersion I find in SotA is contained in the scenes. There is nothing immersive to me about the overworld map. None of the upcoming overworld features are likely to change that. For these reasons I want to spend as little time on the overworld map as possible. So for me, the R34 slowdown decreases my sense of immersion and decreases my enjoyment of the game.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

After having tested it some more I'm in align with a request to the Devs to "Please give us our speed back". Now before anyone says what I was trying to justify to myself things like this if we accepted the lower speed, I thought hmm well perhaps then food won't matter, then speed buffs won't matter, and on and on. They can still matter at our previous speed. We can be even speedier if we want. Most games have speed factors and they are fun,and what is missing from this game in so many areas atm, yep............. 'fun'.

I still want attention given to the details of food, buffs, and fun opt-outable random encounters. I still want it all for us, but not a slowed down, invisible wall laden, miserable map and world. To the best of our ability we should not cave on this. Make the map a place to not dread. Have it be an extension of the SOTA world in entertaining ways, and why because the game deserves it, we deserve it. Since we have a world that is made up of loading scenes instead of one continuous world, this world deserves it, this world needs it. So Voting big time for Speed.

docdoom77, Cally, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Having finally managed to get in game and try it...

I don't understand the big deal. It isn't really that bad.

11. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I'm hoping they add the ability for the denizens a fixed scene to pull you into the scene if you try to sneak through it on the Overworld map.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

It all depends on where you travel and the terrain you have to use to get there.

Cally likes this.
  13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I am sorry, I did not mean to diminish you. Everyone has different styles of play and everyone has an opinion on the funnest way to get there. I am enjoying the journey and I hope everyone here is also.

I understand what your saying about the power gamers and some blow through games in days and never play them again. This I am hoping to be more sustainable, but good decisions by the Devs are what is going to determine that. But with each release there will be players that comes in and tear through all the content In a Few days and moves on. I do hope they would develop for the ones that stay and will be playing this game for a long time to come and not just the ones that are here for releases.

FrostII and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. redrumdrake

redrumdrake Avatar

i find the slow speed to be more frustrating then immersive. maybe if it wasn't quite so slow off road it would be ok but as it is now i just don't like it.

docdoom77, Xandra7, Budner and 4 others like this.
  15. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Try traveling to a POT or a town that is in the woods or on a hill. Check out Fortus End.. There are no roads anywhere near it. The walk/crawl to this city is incredibly frustrating (and yes, I'm using coconuts).

I still don't understand what is actually immersive about this speed. I also don't think it's acceptable for devs to leave many players in frustration while claiming that EVENTUALLY there will be ways to boost speed. 'Eventually' is ambiguous and not guaranteed. Don't make us sit and wait for years for you to fix a frustrating mechanic that doesn't actually create a more immersive/fun game. IMO, this change should be rolled back and released (if there is some reason this actually makes the game more compelling that I can't seem to understand) when other speed options like mounts are ready.

The bottom line is, from reading this thread, it seems like quite a few players agree with this sentiment. Yes there are a few self proclaimed "beast mode" players who aren't bothered, but this change does have a negative effect on a decently sized playerbase as evidenced by many of the comments on this thread.

16. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Bamboozle You got that right! I live there and I am saying all the way there" I am not a snail. I am not a snail."

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely. There is nothing immersive about the overworld map (looks cool, but not immersive) and the new slowness is nothing more than aggravation .

docdoom77, Budner, moko and 1 other person like this.
  18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

too many 'give me fast and easy' gamers? WTF? I dont know about what kinda deal YOU have with God, but me, i've got a finite amount of years on this planet. AND I have to juggle a wife, a life, and being born as the first generation to be addicted to computer games. So when people say, 'let's make it easier if someone wants it' , well, just do it. Life is short, and do YOU want to be the one, at the end of it all... saying to hundreds of people "oh, the reason i voted for you to play slower and miss out on the rest of life, was for immersion. Sorry you were slowed up and missed things in the real world. But, you see, I needed immersion. You didn't matter?"

MAKE A GAME BETTER, NOT OLDER.

THE HENDOMAN

Toadster likes this.
  19. tzindal

tzindal Avatar

Yea I'm also beginning to feel that all these painpoints are in place to allow to Portalarium to suck more money from people by selling addons and services.

Vagabond_Sam and Bamboozle like this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Can't you see that this is a tactical feature? This way it is harder to outrun the upcoming roving encounters and if we want to catch up with an encouter we have to look for a fast way on to map. I really like it and I think it will make the roving encounters more interesting. This way the overland "map" finally will become a true and important gameplay element and not just a means to get from A to B.

Kambrius, Jens_T, Tahru and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.