Overland Map Forum Category

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by DNA Cowboy, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

Why isn't there a forum category for the Overland Map/Maps in 'Game Features'?
    Seems very odd as it is of fundamental importance to the game, also, does such a lack reflect the developers feelings on the issue? We know that they consider the World Map purely a minimalist 'travel system' not worthy of real investment; however, many investors believe the opposite, that a interactive, detailed 3D zoomable map is essential to the game, subsequently we need a place to discuss it and allow the developers a place to come and respond to our deep concern outside of the various release threads.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I agree. We Need an official category where we can discuss the overland view of SotA. Maybe then the devs realize that the overland view is important and much more to some of us than a simple means of transportation. Instead it is a substitution for exploring the world.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I agree it wouldn't hurt. I have seen the current map and to be honest what I think is holding it back is that it is too sterile. the tiles don't have vibrancy at all. Now, you take that same style change out the textures add things like day night versions, with tiles that respond to that (ala different scenes within depending on some variable met: time of day, date, etc) then you have a bit more adventuring ability. seems like a lot of potential if done right.

Alexander, Time Lord, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  4. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

I agree a thread is needed for the map.

DNA Cowboy likes this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I don't know that we need a sub-forum. But it would be nice to have one mega-thread for it.

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

It can't hurt ...

there has been much discussion on some threads but compiling all the thoughts in one place and having it be more of an identifiable issue to current forum members may go a long way to generate more ideas / critiques

7. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

The overland map aka World Map is a fundamental game feature and as such requires a sub category at the very least yet the powers that be still refuse to include one so it behoofs us to create posts about the awful map till they do.
    Either that or a map mega-thread dealing with the fans exasperation, frustration and anger over the issue.

High Baron ByTor likes this.
  8. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

I would like to know, apart from the graphics and style, what kind of interactivity you guys would expect from the Overland map.

A list:

Random animals, mobs, npcs roaming around, popping up from the woods, but with no interaction possible.
    As above but with interaction: mobs can attack (pull you into scene), NPC trader can sell/buy (pull you into scene).
    You see others roam the map, those that fit with your toggles(friends, non-pvp etcetera)
    Fog of war or not?
    Actual combat possible on the overland map itself?

To be sure: I prefer the original overland map to the paper thingy. But not extremely hardcore about it.

9. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Or even just a "Map" category. Thats a bigger feature in the game than PvP or Housing. :)

EDIT: Oops... sorry the damn N is next to the B. I hope anyone that saw that would realize the mistake.

10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

The must haves for me:

1) animated avatar
    2) WASD control over said avatar
    3) Animated overland (scurrying animals, dragons overhead, steaming volcanoes, light effects, etc).

The should haves:

1) Mobs that can pull you into a hex if you contact them.
    2) Camera controls
    3) Fog of war
    4) Realistic art direction vs. pop-up book style art direction

Ravenclaw, Kaisa, rowan50k and 2 others like this.
  11. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

I am also asking this because people talk about exploring the overland map.

I understand that monsters pulling you into a hex would add to this. So could encountering a traveling merchant that you can buy/sell from. Fog of war could add some, though I expect that the map will be quickly unfogged this way (depends on how often you get pulled into a scene for combat).

Should the Overland map reveal riches, i.e. an especially rich ore-vein, possbly tied to a cartographers skill(or mining, archaeological skill)?

12. christania

christania Avatar

This is my first post although I am an early founder since kickstarter launch. Generally, I might lurk around in forums from time to time but rarely post anything unless it is very important to me.

On this issue, I have to say I agree with the OP. We should have a map category where backer opinions go to and for what it's worth I really prefer the original concept of a vibrant beautiful map.

Those saying this is not important since it's not a game like "Civilization" since on such a game a huge portion of game play is on the map are mistaken imho since in SoTA, the design ideas indicate that the map system as a means of travel is a MAJOR feature of the game. It is NOT "just" a map. The design should reflect this.

Belrindor, Kaisa, Milzer78 and 3 others like this.
  13. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

I agree and support the sentiments of this thread!

christania77 likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

During the last videos from the developers it was mentioned that they are aware of the displeasure in the map, but I didn't hear what if anything is planned for it. I too am not happy with it in its current form.

Since the game decision has been made to make the mapping system so important, I too whole-heartedly agree that it should be something very special. Why not keep the idea that it is a paper map if must be, but then when opened it is a magical,beautiful sight to see? Some reasoning could be because SOTA avatars/characters have really awesome imaginations or whatever other idea could come to mind.

** It is important to have this game have as many components of being a new and wonderful game as possible for future longevity, and of course for the those now seeing it.(advertisement included)

Since the mapping systems is a very important and often seen component, it only makes sense that it is current and unique from other games.

I am not sure, but perhaps the budget at this point could interfere with certain upgrades.

I do hope the developers will reconsider this important issue and of course give us gorgeous character avatars, as I guess is now my mantra lol since I keep repeating over and over.

I truly want this game to succeed, I am a champion for SOTA........ characters, maps, combat design should all be fresh and new.

If there is not the budget to make this happen, let us know and give us the what is needed and some way to make that happen please.

I believe this is serious for future success.

The first things you see are so important.

*** How often in real life do you see something or someone (since we are humans) :Dand your brain wants to immediately discount them or it totally in some way? Yes it does happen all the time.

There are a few things that would make this game appealing at first sight also. It just needs to happen.

So please portalarium give us the numbers and or info to make this happen.

*****QUOTE........."You can change your world by changing your words....Remember, death and life are in the power of the tongue."
    by Joel Osteen

Belrindor and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

There may have been other comments from the team since then, but the last thing I remember seeing is this:

And later in the same thread:

I can't keep up with everything on the forums, but it sounds as if they're not completely set on this new direction - they just wanted to give it a bit more time and see if people will like it better next time they see it.

abovenyquist and tradyblix like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you Karrolanth for your descriptive post. :) I know from my experience that it is difficult to deviate from the picture in my own mind to see anything else, and that sometimes what I can't even picture turns out to be way more awesome than my picture. So all we can do is voice our constructive thoughts and see what happens. I am not ever trying to put down the game our developers. So hopefully what I say doesn't seem like I am doing that. I watch all the videos that come our way, even the 12 hour ones lol. It is very interesting to me doing this kick starter. I don't think I will forget the experience.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think the new map has a lot of potential. I think it needs a bit more color though by far.

At the moment it looks just too sterile. If they could add more details like weather/time of day/random changing events....it could be a lot better.

Now, the way I invisioned it was that when you went to a hex there was a possibility of a rare event occuring in some places. Now, I figure the developers can have that cycle of areas with time and who knows what other variables to really make exploring the map actually exploring.

For instance: You go to this one specific hex(doesn't matter for this example) during the day and it's just a normal woods...you go there at night on the 30 of whatever month they use for calenders and you find a band of cultists worshiping around a large fire.

I totally think that should be doable.

18. Belrindor

Belrindor Avatar

R5 is a few days away. Let us see what it brings one way or another, and then go from there.

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

"Lot of potential" is the quote of this game. xD

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

"Interface" would probably be the category, not just for the map, but also for things like the paperdoll and inventory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.